Skip to content

May 2019

Happy May, y'all! Happy Star Wars Day, and may the fourth be with you! 

Having said that, I don't think I own any Star Wars paper at all. I think the last thing I had was one of those black and red Revenge of the Jedi banner thingies that came out in magazines if memory serves, but I gave that to one of the kids ages ago. Yammering on, I thought I'd go ahead and get May cranked up with what's new for me. A bit of a variety this time, with a 40's animation 1 sheet kicking things off:

terry toons 1 sheet

Cripes, another huge image. Sorry. Continuing on, since my poster forum experience has been pretty narrow, only being an active member of one forum at a time, I didn't run into Mel until I joined VMPF, and still haven't really interacted with him. But the reason that I bring him up is apparently he sold all or most of his posters and then ended up buying the same titles back sometime later. To a much smaller extent I find myself doing that. I guess I should learn to just hang on to the posters the first time. I used to have a 1 sheet for this, but sold it a few years back. A nice half sheet popped up recently, and it seemed like a good thing to re-add to the posters of seemingly morally flexible wimmins collection:
louisiana hussy half sheet

And lastly for now, not a super exciting poster visually, but an interesting one from the age of Kroger Babb exploitation films, and a half sheet I'm happy to add to the exploitation collection:

mixed up women half sheet

B)  B)

Comments

• Nice stuff Rock! Killer look.from the lady in Louisiana  Hussy!!!!
  • Thanks! I appreciate the thumbs up!  :)
  • The Terry-Toons is a fun piece, also I'm partial to the Collingwood Magpies.
  • I'm a full week late with my gratitude, but thanks, MK.  :)  It appears that it takes something pretty special to raise your collective poster eyebrows. Unfortunately, this batch ain't it. However, they're legitimately May acquisitions, and this forum is sleeeeeeeeeping. Knowing that your fingernails can't take much more biting in anticipation, here we go. The first two were inexpensive BINs on the 'bay.

None of the paper on this title is very inspiring, and this original Benton window card almost has more going for it than the 1sheet. However, it's just post-50's sportscar racing, so it should go okay with the 50's hot rod-dy stuff:

checkered flag window card

This probably isn't the best poster for the title, but it was too inexpensive to pass up. With the seller paying for shipping, they couldn't possibly have made much on this transaction. The condition is good, but the seller shipped it in a tube. I don't think the poster liked that very well.  :(

dangerous when wet window card

And lastly for now, I'm not sure how I stumbled across this poster or the movie it advertises. It's an independent, hot rod themed film, written, directed and starred in by the same woman. The "1 sheet" is actually 24x36, but I think that's the only size it's available in:

deuce of spades 24x36

That's it for this small batch. Hurry along and take something to calm your nerves from all the excitement.  ;)
  • Deuce of Spades reminded me of this film with Matt Dillion. Cool flick.

• Great posters Rock...really liking that Deuce of Spades.  I know a man cave that would kill to have that one in there.  I need to find me one!
  • I vaguely recall a time where I could actually get to incoming packages and enjoy their contents in a timely manner...maybe I am just delusional :s

Anyways here are acquisitions over the last several months rediscovered:

• Trusty Un-Do - and a TON of patience (and light-headedness) - to the rescue!

"The Big Carnival" is such a stupid title for Wilder's cynical classic I just had to get the snipe off to reveal the much more appropriate "Ace in the Hole"

• Have I ever mentioned I <3 Bogie?

• Gee your Bogie collection is quite large now, how many left to go on the check list?

And congrats!
  • Matt said:
    Gee your Bogie collection is quite large now, how many left to go on the check list?

And congrats!
    Oh you know the easily attainable ones like Maltese Falcon & Casablanca :p

And thanks!
  • With your archaeology background, you should have no problem finding gold in Canada. ;)
  • Matt said:
    With your archaeology background, you should have no problem finding gold in Canada. ;)
    Just as soon as you ship them over here Matt!  My trowel is always ready

• Interesting Chris. Danger Is My Beat was the U.S.A. working title according to IMDB. and Muder Is My Beat ended up being the final release title. Do you have both versions of the insert? Somehere out there should be an elusive Austalian Richardson Studio / Paramount daybill.
  • Well done Chris on some fantastic acquisitions! Glad you picked up that bogie!
  • Mighty nice batch you got there, Noirmanâ„¢!
  • Congrats on the Bogie.  Always good to cross another one off!

And good work on Ace in the Hole...

Loving Allotment Wives!
  • HONDO said:

Interesting Chris. Danger Is My Beat was the U.S.A. working title according to IMDB. and Muder Is My Beat ended up being the final release title. Do you have both versions of the insert? Somehere out there should be an elusive Austalian Richardson Studio / Paramount daybill.
    Just the 'Danger' version.  Considered holding out even longer for a 'Murder' version but this one will do!

Are you sure it would be a Paramount/Richardson if the daybill turns up?  (Insert notes Allied Artists)
  • HONDO said:

Interesting Chris. Danger Is My Beat was the U.S.A. working title according to IMDB. and Muder Is My Beat ended up being the final release title. Do you have both versions of the insert? Somehere out there should be an elusive Austalian Richardson Studio / Paramount daybill.
    Just the 'Danger' version.  Considered holding out even longer for a 'Murder' version but this one will do!

Are you sure it would be a Paramount/Richardson if the daybill turns up?  (Insert notes Allied Artists)

(  Courtesy of John.)

Australian late Sydney release date was April 6, 1960. In the very late 1950's Paramount Pictures took over the distribution in Australia of Allied Artists product from United Artists. After a delay in switching over,  the huge backlog of available AA product and the volume of this mainly 'B' product in the catalogue would have contributed  in the delayed release of Murder Is My Beat here. In New Zealand Allied Artists product was distributed by International films who produced their own bare bones daybills of Allied Artist releases there.

Richarson Studio was still producing Paramount daybills in the early 1960, so I am very confident it woiuld be Riuchardson designed.
  • Cool Lawrence - thanks for the explanation!  Now just need to find one...
  • Great stuff, Chris! That Bogie is awesome! Thanks for letting me assist, it was cool to see it in person!?
  • Great stuff, Chris! That Bogie is awesome! Thanks for letting me assist, it was cool to see it in person!?
    It was very much appreciated Mark!
  • Holiday In Mexico Australian One Sheet:

The Crimson Key Australian One Sheet"

The Brotherhood Australian One Sheet:

Sons of Matthew Swedish:

Got a couple more to share, but have to happy snap em first.
  • I never would have guessed The Brotherhood would have been an Australian poster. Beauty!
  • Nice Ves - and yes that Brotherhood is simple and yet very alluring
  • Holiday in Mexico for the win!!