Skip to content

Republic Serials

2»

Comments

• Buck Rogers ( 1939 ).  Universal Australian herald images. Not Republic but these images are worth including here for fans of serials that may not have seen them before. One can only ponder what the original long daybill, most likely printed by Marchant & Co., would have looked like.
  • Have seen the long db.  Let me see if I can share...
  • My mistake...
  • Some long serials...borrowed from the infamous one:

WANTED TO BUY

• Jungle Queen ( 1945 ) & Son Of The Guardsman ( 1946 ) daybill images from X Marks The Shop.  

Not Republic, but these Universal and Columbia daybills are rare, and I haven't sighted either of them previously, so I thought I would share them here. 
  • HONDO said:

A larger, if not clearer image Of The Spider's Web original daybill.

What has always seemed odd to me was that a serial was given a'' Suitable only for adults'' censorship rating . I don't believe I have ever seen a serial given a ''Not suitable for children'' rating , let alone a ''Suitable only for adults'' one.

Note the ''For general exhibition'' rating on the 1939 Australian newspaper advertisement.

Was it perhaps possible the original rating that appears on the daybill was printed in error? With the either late 1940's or early 1950's re-issue poster was it also possible the re-issue rating was copied from the original daybill, then noticing the error the rating was  blacked out on all the copies they had to distrbute? 

This is too cute not to share.

• Dunno who snagged it, but its friggen gorgeous!

The Green Archer

• edited May 2020

The Green Archer ( 1940 )  is certainly a great looking daybill poster. Thanks for sharing.

• The Phantom ( 1943 ) Columbia Pictures Australian one sheet.

This image  was recently sent to me by a friend for a poster that is extremely rare. I am not aware that an Australian one sheet of this film has surfaced before... the daybill yes.

• Definitely a couple great posters there. Wow!

•                                                                ( State Library Of Western Australia - BA 3118 - 33 ) ( also isolated section below )

( Heritage ) 

The Air Mail Mystery ( 1932 ) UniversaL serial  Australian advertising material I thought was worth a look.
  •       

The Last Frontier ( 1932 ). These images were the only ones I could locate from the original release and both are from an Indian herald. You will notice the name Creighton Chaney appearing on it. There are many posters of this film on the internet, but they are all re-release versions with the now changed to Lon Chaney Jr name appearing on them.
    '' This is the only serial; ''distributed by Radio /or RKO Radio Pictures. It was an independent production.'' ( IMDB ).

A rare poster image of The Last Frontier on display in a theatre foyer during the original Australian release.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
  • edited July 2020
     ( Trove )

I have since located this Australian full page advertisement from Everyones April 5 1933 issue promoting The Last Frontier.

'' This is the only serial; ''distributed by Radio /or RKO Radio Pictures. It was an independent production.'' ( IMDB ).

List of film serials by studio - Wikipedia. RKO Pictures credits The Last Frontier as  also being the sole entry by RKO in the serial field. 

The above advertisement interestingly credits The Last Frontier as being  the'' First of three roaring serials''.

• Some neat Australian theatrical advertising from 1936 promoting four upcoming Universal serials The Roaring West, Adventures Of Frank Merriwell, Speed Gordon and Tail Spin Tommy And The Great Air Mystery. Of interest is that the  Flash Gordon serial is titled Speed Gordon, which was the comic strip title that was used in Australia before and after the film was released here.

The film was released though in Australia as Flash Gordon, as seen above from an advertisement placed in 1937. Some smaller cinemas advertised in newspapers the film as being Flash ( Speed ) Gordon and in at least one case that I am aware of as Speed Gordon.

• I don't have any images for Republic serials but here is a 1930s Universal one adapted from a King Features Newspaper comic strip. It was also a comic book in Australia in the 40s and 50s called Sergeant Pat of the Radio Patrol.
    On the Flash Gordon title, as far as I am aware the name change to Speed Gordon was due to censorship over the word Flash being linked to the word (and activity) flasher. I once had an Australian herald for it and that had the normal title.

• darolo said:
    I don't have any images for Republic serials but here is a 1930s Universal one adapted from a King Features Newspaper comic strip. It was also a comic book in Australia in the 40s and 50s called Sergeant Pat of the Radio Patrol.
    On the Flash Gordon title, as far as I am aware the name change to Speed Gordon was due to censorship over the word Flash being linked to the word (and activity) flasher. I once had an Australian herald for it and that had the normal title.

A great rare 1937 daybill poster image of Radio Patrol. Thanks for sharing with us.

Just to clear up that there weren't, to the best of my knowledge, any original Australian film posters printed for any Republic Pictures serials. The only poster of a Republic serial that I am aware of is I believe to be a re-release duotone poster of King Of The Rocketmen ( 1949 ), and most likely had been released by an independent film distributor.

Of the three major Hollywood film studios responsible for the majority of serials produced, only Columbia and Universal printed daybills in Australia for this product. For whatever reason when Republic serials were released in Australia by BEF, then 20th Century Fox  it was apparently decided that daybill film posters would not be used here.

Although no Australian Republic Serial posters were printed, there are still a lot of Universal and Columbia posters still not sighted as yet, so if anyone has any images of Australian serial posters that they believe are rare please post them here on this thread. The Marchant 1930's and 1940's Universal long daybills are in particular desirable for their artwork.

• ( Everyones December 28 1932 issue / Trove ).

Another image following on from my earlier entry for this serial. Interestingly the famous Hollywood stuntman Yakima Canuff played Wild Bill Hickock in this chapter play.