Skip to content

Dario says ......

It's been 20 years!

This month of July marks my linen backing and restoring journey that started 20 years ago!

I remember my first attempt, Staple linen on to the wall, dipping a poster in the bathtub without a screen and cooking rice starch to Rice a Roni.

My girlfriend at that time walks in and asked " what are you doing? Have you gone barking mad?" 

I said "probably, but I am going to do this now!

She did leave me after a wile, cited me gone completely mad.

There was no social media/You Tube back then to try to pick up the process.

Silly, but I saved one of my very first attempts from back then ( see pic )

It's been quite the journey and a humbling experience. It took years to build a decent name.

Can't say it wasn't a struggle at times.

After all, who's going to send a poster/s and payment to some dude in Canada?

End of the day, the only reason I am still here and still doing what I love doing, is because of all of you that have supported me at some point throughout the years.

Some of you have come and gone, some of you have come back and some of you never left.

It is remarkable and I am extremely grateful to all of you. Thank you so much!!

Sincerely,
dario.

Comments

• Awesome, Dario!

20 years is an amazing accomplishment for a profession that accentuates hardwork, dedication and artistic talents that many don't naturally possess. Your first attempt looks great! Needs a bit of touchup near the top center crossfold though, how'd you miss that?.... ;)

As someone who's only scratched the surface of the process (4 years part time), your work represents the gold standard within the profession. I look at your work, & some of your old updates and marvel at the results. 

Looking forward to another 20 years of outstanding production. 
  • Way to go Dario!

Happy anniversary!!!
  • Cheers Dario!
  • Thank you guys! Much kindness!

I don't recall why I did not attempt fix Hilda Crane? ( probably didn't know what to do? )

There is a super thin layer of Mulberry paper as barrier paper, rather than Masa.

This one in person looks like crap. Completely rooted and folds have popped.

Cheers,
    dario.

• Very well earned congratulations, Dario! I always enjoyed looking at the many before and after threads there were of your work on NSFGE, many times posted by Rita/Margaret, like when her dog(s) got to her posters. She wasn't the only one, though. I know there were many others. 

What was it that made you want to get into/learn poster conservation in the first place? Did you own a poster that was in bad shape, but you wanted to display it? Did you know another paper conservator whose work you admired?

With the necessary skills to save/restore any poster you wanted, it would be great to see what you've had displayed on your own walls over the years.

Again, congratulations. You're one of the many puzzle pieces that fit together making this hobby an enjoyable place to be.
  • Solid as a Rock! Thank you buddy.

As far back as I can remember, you have always been around and been around as one of the good guys. Don't change!

My poster collecting started in 1983 when we moved to Canada.

I didn't know that my Dad had about 150 old Swedish poster stashed away.

Dad use to have a Restaurant on Kungsgatan across from Rigoletto the movie theater. ( Sweden )

He was given poster from a friend that worked there.

So when I helped my mom and dad to unload stuff to the storage locker as we were trying to settle in to our new country, I saw these posters rolled up.

I asked my dad "what are these? dad gave them to me and I was smitten right away!

I was sure I was being weird for liking movie posters and became a closet collector, thinking I am the only one.

Over time, I found out more through various papers dedicated to movie poster collectors/collecting and eventually started to send some posters out for linen backing.

It was a scary proposition back then. I sent my posters out with a cheque and didn't hear nothing for months sometimes, and suddenly there was a tube at your door.

On top of that it was expensive as well.

I think that was the catalyst for me to eventually start experimenting with linen backing.

Cheers my man,

dario.

• It’s great to know the background story. Thanks for being such an open, honest and kind friend to the hobby. Here’s to another 20 years!
  • Thanks for sharing Dario - great to read the background to your journey. 

We Canadians are lucky to have you as one of us ?
  • 20 years?  Er, 20 years?  FFS, you don't look old enough to be doing anything for 20 years.
    All those chemicals must be working miracles over there!

Congrats on the first 20, and here's to another 20, as Rock says!

What a loverly story.  Thank goodness your dad was a hoarder and kept those posters all those years else you may not have found the hobby! (though somehow I doubt that ;) )
  • Hey guys,

Thanks a bunch. Much appreciated!

Hah, Ves! I don't know, but if it is. I guess I should get in to the cosmetic industry, cooking up some face paste. That bleach, I tell you, it will burn off facial wrinkles.

Seriously,

I think it is more " young at heart ( fighting my inner child every day ) how you feel inside, will reflect how you feel and look on the outside.

Cheers,
    dario.