Skip to content

Pink Flamingos

Hi guys!

I know it has a long history with the censors but I believe John Waters' Pink Flamingos was passed for theatrical release in the mid 70s. Anyone ever seen a daybill for it?

Comments

• Pancho said:
    Hi guys!

I know it has a long history with the censors but I believe John Waters' Pink Flamingos was passed for theatrical release in the mid 70s. Anyone ever seen a daybill for it?

Pink Flamingos released in the U.S.A. in 1972 was passed for exhibition in Australia on 1 / 6 / 1976. The applicant was Windsor Theatres ( one of many theatre groups that imported films in the 1970s that I hope to cover some time or another ). Windsor theatres also imported four other John Water's titles including two on 16mm only with these being Mondo Trasho ( 1969 ) and Multiple Maniacs ( 1970 ). Windsor Theatres released on 35mm John Water's Female Trouble ( 1974 ) and Desperate Living ( 1977 ) along with a non John water's title Tropical Ecstasy ( 1970 ) in very ordinary duotone style daybills. I have never sighted one but there would most certainly have been a daybill printed for Pink Flamingos but most likely it would have been printed in the same duotone style. Be prepared if you ever manage to acquire one for it to be unremarkable. For Polyester ( 1981 ), imported by Hoyts Distribution, the quality of John Water's film posters improved out of sight with full colour introduced.  
  • I have Female Trouble, Desperate Living and Tropical Ecstasy but have never seen a Pink Flamingo daybill. I understood it received an X-rating in Australia. The Polyester daybill is much better, but the film itself was more commercial as well. 
  • Rick said:
    I have Female Trouble, Desperate Living and Tropical Ecstasy but have never seen a Pink Flamingo daybill. I understood it received an X-rating in Australia. The Polyester daybill is much better, but the film itself was more commercial as well. 

The 35mm theatrical release copy of Pink Flamingos was originally banned on 'indecency grounds' but eventually passed for exhibition in Australia by Windsor Theatres in 1976 and given an R certificate by the Australian censor in a 'reconstructed version' reduced from 97: 59 to eventually 93:33.

The X certificate was awarded only to the Videotape release of the film in the 1980s. In February 1984 the X certificate was introduced in Australia for a short period of time and the videotape release was given the X certificate. The film was banned four times before being given the X certificate and released in a censored version.

In 1997 the film in the form of a  25th Anniversary re-release  was passed for exhibition in Australia by Roadshow in a 105m R rated version  under the title John Waters Pink Flamingos. Being 1997 there is a good chance a daybill wasn't printed for this re-release but if anyone has seen a copy of a daybill or an Australian Roadshow one sheet please let us know.

• Rick said:
    I have Female Trouble, Desperate Living and Tropical Ecstasy but have never seen a Pink Flamingo daybill. I understood it received an X-rating in Australia. The Polyester daybill is much better, but the film itself was more commercial as well. 
    Rick. if that "Tropical Ecstasy" is for the Isabel Sarli film, I'm gonna need one.
    Do you have a pic of the poster at hand?
  • 110x75 said:
    Rick said:
    Rick. if that "Tropical Ecstasy" is for the Isabel Sarli film, I'm gonna need one.
    Yes it is the Isabel Sarli film and you are able to locate an image of the duotone Australian daybill here on this forum. Search for the December 2015 thread and there you will find the image you are after.
  • Saw it.
    Now, if any of you sights a copy, I want it!!!
  • HONDO said:
    110x75 said:
    Rick said:
    Yes it is the Isabel Sarli film and you are able to locate an image of the duotone Australian daybill here on this forum. Search for the December 2015 thread and there you will find the image you are after.
    110x75 said:
    Saw it.
    Now, if any of you sights a copy, I want it!!!

For the Isabel Sarli fans an Australian daybill of another of her films The Virgin Goddess, and a scene from the film I am sure will be appreciated.
  • edited May 2018
    Lovely! Got a few transparencies for the shooting of virgin goddess. Just five. Some japanese bastard won all the others on ebay a couple years ago

• A newspaper advertisement from 1978 advertising a John Waters / Divine double feature which includes an image of Pink Flamingos.
  • Not the daybill, but HA has the one sheet up 

• Not the daybill, but HA has the one sheet up 

Oh, my! That's way better than the US one sheet

• Wow, that's amazing. Too bad it is for sale at Heritage
  • Sold for $720 US
  • Rick said:
    Sold for $720 US
    Wow.