Skip to content

Thoughts on this kind of work (Paris)

So they're likely more poster restorers (and shops that sell posters) in France than anywhere else... They're multiple universities here from 2 to 5 years that focus on restoration and conservation...

Yet often, the work looks like this...

(seen from a store front window)...

I'm an amateur by far and I know that French paper from the 50s looooves to yellow at the folds -- but this looks like it was put right on linen with no buffer and no deacidification wash before hand...

Is this commonplace and regarded as OK work?

Comments

• Isnt that the "european" style of restoration? 
  • Isnt that the "european" style of restoration? 
    I think theirs a difference in preserving something without camouflaging imperfections VS. ...this.

No?
  • Yes, hard as it is for some collectors to believe, some collectors don't mind imperfections that show a poster's age, especially ones that show it was actually used, and that it actually IS 50 or more years old.

PLUS, some restorers, but not all, "over-restore" and the poster ends up looking like it was "dipped in paint".

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Please see before and after what I mean by restoration using conservation techniques. This poster was just washed, and some light bleaching. The stains disappeared, and the colors brightened up. Used water color pencils, and some paper paste to fill in missing edges in border.
  • This is great work Duke.

the Duke of vintage posters is a number 1
  • Looks good, Duke!
  • Thanks