Skip to content

Where's Wally - Where in the World are You?

Comments

• Everybody is out of step except little Willy:

"All countries except Burma (Myanmar), Liberia, and the United States of America have officially adopted the metric system, although Liberia has seen some introduction of metric units, and in 2013 Burma formally announced the beginning of its metrication program. The metric system has been largely adopted in the United Kingdom and Canada, without yet having fully displaced the imperial units from all areas of life. In countries such as Australia and New Zealand, the imperial units have been formally deprecated and are no longer officially sanctioned for use..."
  • Way back in the 70s, the US made a half hearted attempt at converting to the metric system.  At one time there was a mileage sign south of Seattle marking the 10 miles/16 kilometers to the Emerald City. Failed miserably, much to my regret. Been here in Deutschland for a little over 4 and a half years and will be here another 2 at the minimum, hopefully longer as it is a wonderful place to be.  And yeah, dog poop is so Parisian     ;))
  • I must say I use both systems, but prefer the Imperial the best, depending on which is the nearest when measuring up....
  • Paul said:
    I'd like to see a pic of said trowel..

Mind August is but a few days away. So not so much of your skiving off tactics Charlie, I'm sure your good lady want's her domain back...  
  • Those are "off the shelf" over here, I could have sent you one in with your posters....
  • Well, I got notice that it shipped out already.  I ordered it yesterday afternoon - so I may have it by Wednesday.
  • It's funny, surfing in Aus was imperial for ages. Everything was in feet and inches, the waves the surfboard sizes. Now it's metric...doesn't seem right. 
  • And it's not right....Bloody foreigners.................... 
  • Paul said:
    And it's not right....Bloody foreigners.................... 
    I remember arriving in the UK in just before Christmas in 1970 as a kid to live for a couple of years, having used a decimal (monetary) system for several years already in Australia and New Zealand. Trying to work out how to add Pounds, Shillings and Pence - I mean what the?! How does 12 pennies add up to 1 shilling, and yet 20 shillings equaled one pound when I was used to the metric system. Too much for a kid like me - fortunately about six weeks later England changed to the metric money system, suddenly I was the smartest kid in class! 

• King Canada - that's right!
  • People details on the maps are getting...worse?
  • and still are  ;)
  • Yup, good to see people getting into the swing of it - and besides watching where the distribution of collectors is, is fun to see
  • Is someone planning a moving? It's kinda lonely around here.
  • hahaha...little blue icon does look lonely down there...

I'd like to do a trip during the Rugby Champs with the All Blacks one year soon.
  • edited July 2014
    We're going to need a bigger map...

• Well, the engineering world has been metric for decades.  I guess I live in 2 worlds. 

Anyone remember that Mars Lander that crashed because one group was working in feet and the other in meters?  The one group thought they were telling the rockets to fire at 5000 meters, and they actually fired at 5000 feet.
  • Well, I've also been in Engineering for coming up 39 years, and I still prefer Imperial weights and Measures, I can do Metric, but prefer not to, more so on my Projects...   ;;)
  • I have to defer to your longer experience.  MY BSEE is dated 1976, so only 38 years here. :)
  • edited July 2014
    The Cat 6a cable I use still comes in boxes of 1000 feet /305 meters. Most manufacturers still put feet and meter markings on the cable sheath. 

The young apprentices always ask "Why 305 meters in a box?"
  • and here in the states they would ask "Where are those 305 multi-meters they promised?"  :)
  • hehehe. ;))
  • Hehehe...i wanted a pink flag
  • Hey Rosa, your just up the road from me on that map...
  • When did you move to Spain Paul?
  • When he got the taste for bull fighting? 

• When did Rosa move to Spain?

• Mirosae said:
    Hehehe...i wanted a pink flag
    Redundante! ;)

• David said:
    When did you move to Spain Paul?
    Didn't need to, It's only 1/2 of an inch away, I may pop and see a few of you, Matias is only 3" away.....

And all this time I thought it was hundreds of miles..