Skip to content

Hondo's Daybill and One Sheet Q&A [Re-Titled]

Comments

• I should have one here...let me know if you want it, and I will check tonight for sure once the girls go down and send you a PM.  I have many many posters that really need to be "re-homed" :)

On me, need to spread the daybill love :)

• Thanks! I sent you a PM. 
  • The For General Exhibition daybill was for printed for the Australian release.

The Y certificate was added for the New Zealand release there. ( Y ) was - Recommended as suitable for persons aged 13 and over.

The completely blank daybill was printed in this manner to have the the New Zealand censorship rating added at a later time by stamp or snipe but it never happened.

I had typed this out but had not downloaded it when I noticed Ves had given the correct information. May as well sent it anyway.

• This one seems a bit plain for a 1950s daybill. Maybe 2nd printing?

• edited February 2016
    Mark said:

This one seems a bit plain for a 1950s daybill. Maybe 2nd printing?

I believe it to be a second printing By F. Cunninghame which was a  common practice for a lot of London Films around 1954 & 1955 & possibly some in 1956 when London films ceased operations in Australia. The original Devil Girl From Mars ( another missing daybill ) I believe would have been full colour and printed by W.E. Smith and let's hope in our lifetime an image emerges to see it if indeed it exists.
  • How do you know it is a second printing? Is there any factual evidence at all for that - pressbooks, etc?

• John said:

How do you know it is a second printing? Is there any factual evidence at all for that - pressbooks, etc?

N0 I don't have so I have amended my original answer to Mark by saying I believe.
  • Reminds me of King & I 2nd printing below, which is in stark contrast to the full-colour 1st release.
    I bet there is (was) an impressive full colour db for Devil Girl.

• edited February 2016
    John said:

How do you know it is a second printing? Is there any factual evidence at all for that - pressbooks, etc?

Are there any colour Aussie pressbooks from that period?
    Personally, I wouldn't rely too heavily on Aussie press material for source artwork. They have proven to be somewhat unreliable.
  • My point is that we should be very careful about saying that there is a full colour earlier daybill when there is no factual evidence to support that theory. The fact that the daybill has poor artwork and not a lot of colour does not mean that it is a second printing.

• We've seen 2 colour second printings from this time period, so actually there is good evidence to support the idea. The vast majority of daybills were in full colour, so Devil Girl should be suspected as a 2nd printing imo.

Prove to me it is vs. Prove to me it isn't. Which camp are you in?

• There are plenty of B grade titles from this era that are not in full colour and Lawrence has pointed out quite a few of them on this forum. My opinion is that there is no evidence whatsoever to prove conclusively that Devil Girl from Mars is a second printing. That's just my opinion though!

• Hondo loves a good challenge, so let's see if he can come up with any 1950s sci-fi / space daybills that weren't originally printed in full colour.

• ;) Well, I'm pretty sure he wont be able to come up with a full colour Devil Girl From Mars daybill!
  • Mark said:

Hondo loves a good challenge, so let's see if he can come up with any 1950s sci-fi / space daybills that weren't originally printed in full colour.

Firstly let me clarify that I am answering Mark's challenge for Sci-Fi films that were only released in Australian in the 1950s that weren't originally printed in full colour and I have excluded a 1959 film released in 1961 by Blake films only printed in duotone and this being Behemoth The Sea Monster. There are also some IFD released 1950s titles that I am not sure if full colour versions exist apart from duotone versions or not.  To come up with an answer to Mark's question there are only two titles that spring to mind I am convinced were only printed in duotone and these being  Godzilla King Of The Monsters and Immediate Disaster ( aka Stranger From Venus ) both printed in duotone by Paramount. In the 1950s Paramount in Australia released a number of non Paramount independent films and the posters were printed by uncredited printers in duotone only and Paramount bypassed the usual Richardson Studio artwork and in the case of the daybills for the inferior artwork. To sum up in answer to Mark's question there only two titles that I am convinced of  that were produced for a first release in Australia not being in full colour with the titles previously mentioned.

The 1960s was of course a different story with Blake Films, Regent Films and in the very late 1960s Roadshow and others producing first release posters in duotone only. 

• The Paramount titles are cheap silk screen jobs, while London Films has invested some time and effort into the artwork on Devil Girl. I doubt they would have skimped on the colour, but until a full-colour daybill turns up, no one can be certain.

• This settles it then?  John, Mark and I have our beliefs but we really don't know one way or the other do we if the Devil Girl From Mars daybill recently auctioned is a first release or a second printing? Whatever it is I know for sure the F. Cunninghame artwork, as often the case, leaves a lot to be desired.
  • There are also three daybills from the 1950s that were distributed by IFD that it is unknown if these are first release duotone daybills or if any full colour daybills also exist as well and if any or all of the three are second printings. The titles are Invaders From Mars, The Snow Creature and Fire Maidens From Outer Space. If anyone happens to have a full colour copy of any of these titles I would love to hear from you.
  • Devil Girl From Mars is on Australian free to air television next week so I might check it out but am expecting little in the way of entertainment though.
  • HONDO said:
    There are also three daybills from the 1950s that were distributed by IFD that it is unknown if these are first release duotone daybills or if any full colour daybills also exist as well and if any or all of the three are second printings. The titles are Invaders From Mars, The Snow Creature and Fire Maidens From Outer Space. If anyone happens to have a full colour copy of any of these titles I would love to hear from you.
    Although not IFD, King Of the Rocketmen is another poster that could be added to this list of daybills that have been previously considered reissues. I think it is likely that this and the IFD daybills that Lawrence has listed, are first release daybills. Its a pity that they are poor quality but we cant always expect original posters to be magnificent full colour masterpieces.
  • Something with a little better art for Hondo's sci-fi archive:

• John said:
    HONDO said:
    There are also three daybills from the 1950s that were distributed by IFD that it is unknown if these are first release duotone daybills or if any full colour daybills also exist as well and if any or all of the three are second printings. The titles are Invaders From Mars, The Snow Creature and Fire Maidens From Outer Space. If anyone happens to have a full colour copy of any of these titles I would love to hear from you.
    Although not IFD, King Of the Rocketmen is another poster that could be added to this list of daybills that have been previously considered reissues. I think it is likely that this and the IFD daybills that Lawrence has listed, are first release daybills. Its a pity that they are poor quality but we cant always expect original posters to be magnificent full colour masterpieces.

John said he thinks it is likely  the three IFD duotone daybill titles I listed  are first releases daybills. He may well be correct in saying this but my problem is there are two versions of another IFD Sci-Fi film of the 1950s titled The Creeping Unknown ( aka The Quatermass Xperiment from 1955 which has two versions of the same design ). Version one is a well drawn daybill produced in blue, red , black and white which I would call full colour and the second version is a poorly drawn version in only black, faded blue and white tri colour which is obviously a second printing.

If IFD produced two versions of The Creeping Unknown isn't it possible they may have also produced superior drawn  blue, red, black and white versions or something with similar colours also as well as the poorly drawn commonly seen duotone versions for the three other titles?  Just mentioning some facts and asking a valid question.

• That 3 sheet kicks arse over the daybill and OS!
  • Matt said:
    That 3 sheet kicks arse over the daybill and OS!

That's what full colour should be!!

Sadly, not mine ...

• Matt said:
    That 3 sheet kicks arse over the daybill and OS!

Would you please let me know the name of the printer for the 3 sheet of The Time Machine? 

We seem to be getting off the topic at hand though.

• What is the earliest known title for daybill that measures 13" × 30" ?

What is latest known title  for long daybill? 
  • Sven said:
    What is the earliest known title for daybill that measures 13" × 30" ?

What is latest known title  for long daybill? 

Excellent questions but we will never know for sure.

My opinion is the earliest 13'' x 30'' daybill printed was is 1941, mid to late 1941 most likely. One must keep in mind that any daybills of this size for any  pre 1941 films would be re-releases or released for the first time in 1941 or later. I know of a film title from 1936 only released in 1942 for the first time. There are also other films from the late 1930's that I am aware of  that were released post 1941 for the first time in this smaller format. 

The latest known title to be released in the long daybill format well may be The Lady From Cheyenne released in Australia in the latter part of 1941, but I can't say for sure but it would come very close to being the one.

I am more than happy to receive any questions or any queries on any specific film titles you would like to clarify release dates on or poster sizes or if you disagree with anything I have said.

Thank you Sven for using this thread again as it has been seven months being inactive and I like to receive questions.

• Many thanks again lawrence
  • Which film has the most different (not just colour variant) daybills?
  • Pancho said:
    Which film has the most different (not just colour variant) daybills?

Do you mean for the period that all daybills were printed ? From the original first release or also including follow up printings and re-releases ?