Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hondo's Daybill Q&A [Re-Titled]

12345679»

Comments

  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Highly nervous ( Universal ), nervous and excitable people ( Warner Brothers ) and now nervous temperaments from RKO. I am picturing publicity people sitting around the film distributors offices in the early 1930's attempting  to come up with something different.
    Lawrence
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Sven said:
    HONDO said:

    Thanks to Sven and Ves for their information which was much appreciated. To clarify what I am after, it is that I only need titles of horror films released in Australia in the 1940's, with any of the following three censorship ratings appearing on them.

    The ratings are as follows-

    A Horror Picture For Adults Only

    A Horror Film Suitable For Adults Only

    Horror Film Suitable Only For Adults

    Possibly there were other variations printed as well containing the word Horror, and if so I would love to know about them as well if they happen to exist.

    There were certainly more Australian posters printed with the word Horror appearing on them. I have images of others and some Australian newspaper advertisements, carrying a Horror rating on films that I haven't been able to find poster images of.

    Hi Lawrence , another slight variation 


    This is a Horror Film  Suitable Only For Adults


    Looks to be a three sheet?
    Thats right Chris 
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Best antique store in Aust where that 3 sheet is at. Don't hesitate to visit if you like old stuff.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    darolo said:
    Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman should be added to the list as it does mention it's a horror film.

    HONDO said:

    Although I have been unable to locate any other Australian daybill, one sheet or 3 sheet poster images having any form of ''Horror / adults'' censorship ratings printed on them, I have still  managed to find information on other film titles that should have had this information printed on their Australian posters. I will suppy a list shortly.

    There were also other Australian daybill posters carrying only ''Suitable only for adults'' ratings on them,  but were advertised in other media as being '' Horror / suitable on adults'' that I will also list. 


    I hadn't noticed the Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man had the smaller printed ''This Is A Horror Film And Is....'' preceeding the larger ''Suitable Only For Adults'' classification in a circle before. I will certainly add it to the list shortly. This title was advertised in Australian newspaper advertisements as being a horror film.

    A list of all the films that I have located where no Australian film posters have been located for, that carried the ''Horror Film - Suitable Only For Adults'' censorship rating in Australian newspaper advertising are as follows -

    Captive Wild Woman
    Cry of the Werewolf
    Dead Men Walk ( released in the U.S.A. by poverty row studio PRC and BEF most likely the Australian distributor )
    Frozen Ghost, The
    Mummy's Curse, The
                                                                                                                                                                                             If and when Australian posters surface for any the above five posters they could have have a '' Horror Film -  Suitable Only For Adults'' rating appearing on them, or at least ''Suitable Only For Adults". 

    And following up on the '' There were also other Australian daybill posters carrying only ''Suitable Only for Adults'' ratings on them, but were advertised in other media as being ''Horror / suitable only for adults"' that I will also list'' comment that had I earlier posted, I have located the following titles that fall into this category.

    Jungle Woman 
    Revenge Of The Zombies

    Of interest I will mention that a factual, approximately running 10 minute film that contained footage from Nazi concentration camp atrocities was classified by the Australian film censor in 1945, The film was classified by the Australian film censor as being a ''Horror Film - Suitable only For Adults''. Due to the brevity of the running time, most likely film posters wouldn't have been printed, but you cannot completely rule it out though.


    Isle Of The Dead posters, if and when found, should have a ''Horror film suitable only for adults'' variation censorship rating applied on them as well. Australian newspaper advertisements for this film carried this classification. Including five titles listed earlier, we may have a total of six posters with the special horror rating hopefully still existing, that I would hope to see one day.

    I had previously mentioned that ''Horror'' film variations censorship ratings were printed on Australian film poster in part of 1943, all of 1944 and one in 1946. I have now located that a ''Horror film suitable only adults only'' rating was also printed on to another film in 1946. More on this particular film shortly, which is proving to be an interesting one.
    Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I couldn't find an image of One Body Too Many on this thread so here it is ….


    John

  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 890 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    John said:
    I couldn't find an image of One Body Too Many on this thread so here it is ….

    That's an absolute beauty.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    darolo said:
    Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman should be added to the list as it does mention it's a horror film.

    HONDO said:

    Although I have been unable to locate any other Australian daybill, one sheet or 3 sheet poster images having any form of ''Horror / adults'' censorship ratings printed on them, I have still  managed to find information on other film titles that should have had this information printed on their Australian posters. I will suppy a list shortly.

    There were also other Australian daybill posters carrying only ''Suitable only for adults'' ratings on them,  but were advertised in other media as being '' Horror / suitable on adults'' that I will also list. 


    I hadn't noticed the Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man had the smaller printed ''This Is A Horror Film And Is....'' preceeding the larger ''Suitable Only For Adults'' classification in a circle before. I will certainly add it to the list shortly. This title was advertised in Australian newspaper advertisements as being a horror film.

    A list of all the films that I have located where no Australian film posters have been located for, that carried the ''Horror Film - Suitable Only For Adults'' censorship rating in Australian newspaper advertising are as follows -

    Captive Wild Woman
    Cry of the Werewolf
    Dead Men Walk ( released in the U.S.A. by poverty row studio PRC and BEF most likely the Australian distributor )
    Frozen Ghost, The
    Mummy's Curse, The
                                                                                                                                                                                             If and when Australian posters surface for any the above five posters they could have have a '' Horror Film -  Suitable Only For Adults'' rating appearing on them, or at least ''Suitable Only For Adults". 

    And following up on the '' There were also other Australian daybill posters carrying only ''Suitable Only for Adults'' ratings on them, but were advertised in other media as being ''Horror / suitable only for adults"' that I will also list'' comment that had I earlier posted, I have located the following titles that fall into this category.

    Jungle Woman 
    Revenge Of The Zombies

    Of interest I will mention that a factual, approximately running 10 minute film that contained footage from Nazi concentration camp atrocities was classified by the Australian film censor in 1945, The film was classified by the Australian film censor as being a ''Horror Film - Suitable only For Adults''. Due to the brevity of the running time, most likely film posters wouldn't have been printed, but you cannot completely rule it out though.


    There has been an Australian daybill  image around for some time now of House Of Dracula ( 1945 ), with just a ''Suitable only for adults" censorship rating appearing on the poster. It has come to my attention that an Australian three sheet exists of House Of Dracula, but this has '' Horror film suitable only for adults'' printed on this poster. It is interesting then that the daybill and the three sheet had the two different censorship ratings printed on them. Before anyone may possibly ask, I will mention that I have sighted the poster image  and confirm the three sheet image has the special '' Horror'' censorship rating on it, but I do not have an image available to display.

    A thank you to John for posting a daybill image for one of the film titles One Body Too Many previously mentioned on this thread that had ''Horror film suitable only for adults'' censorship classification appearing on the poster.
    Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:

    There has been an Australian daybill  image around for some time now of House Of Dracula ( 1945 ), with just a ''Suitable only for adults" censorship rating appearing on the poster. It has come to my attention that an Australian three sheet exists of House Of Dracula, but this has '' Horror film suitable only for adults'' printed on this poster. It is interesting then that the daybill and the three sheet had the two different censorship ratings printed on them. Before anyone may possibly ask, I will mention that I have sighted the poster image  and confirm the three sheet image has the special '' Horror'' censorship rating on it, but I do not have an image available to display.

    A thank you to John for posting a daybill image for one of the film titles One Body Too Many previously mentioned on this thread that had ''Horror film suitable only for adults'' censorship classification appearing on the poster.
    Image may contain 2 people
    -Chris

    There's a street of lights

    A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Thanks for posting the 3 sheet House Of Dracula image Chris.
    Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:
    Thanks for posting the 3 sheet House Of Dracula image Chris.
    No problem - now I just have to roll it back up and put into storage ;)
    -Chris

    There's a street of lights

    A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
     A true gentleman that we have here.
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Cleopatra ( 1963 ) posters information is coming on ''Hondo's This And That'' thread. I know there are countless Cleopatra and Elizabeth Taylor fans that are members here, so perhaps they may wish to keep an eye out for it.
    Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    What's going on here?   :D





    -Chris

    There's a street of lights

    A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    What's going on here?   :D





    O.k. The original Between Midnight And Dawn ( 1950 ) daybill design appeared here in Australia with a similar design overseas as well. Skip forward to 1961 when a lazy poster artist at an unknown printer reproduces an image from the 1950 poster on a duotone version of Fate Takes A Hand. Sometime after this in the early 1960's and that most likely the same artist at the same unidentified printer again copies the 1950 image.The question is now are there any other 1960's duotone daybills with the same shot man image appearing on any others ?  Well spotted Chris.
    Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Thanks Lawrence - a bit of fun!
    -Chris

    There's a street of lights

    A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

    CSM_2_Point_0 said:
    Thanks Lawrence - a bit of fun!
    Yes all good fun. Something else I thought that I would mention as well is IMDB has identified a black and white still from Between Midnight And Dawn, incorrectly crediting the hood in question being shot as being Edmond O'Brien, who happens to be one of the good guys. Not 100 % certain but the actor depicted in the poster images being shot I believe is Donald Buka.
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector


    Still open for business and any questions most welcomed.

    In the meantime a question from me that I have been wondering about. As my Hondo's This And That thread, where I normally would have placed the following is tied up with  long term ''Poster Artists'' contributions, an alternative area to place it was required . Although not a daybill related question I have nevertheless decided to include it here seeing daybills are mentioned..


     

    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre ( 1974 ), The Australian press sheet lists the availability of daybill accessories, but interestingy not a mention of a one sheet being available. Numbers of the daybills of this title have been very available to see and purchase over the years.

    My question is was the absence of the  listing a one sheet just an oversight, but one ended up being printed anyway, or was it a case of one never being printed? Does anyone happen to have an Australian one sheet or is aware of one existing?

    Soething else of interest is that the press sheet states that the film, after being banned on multiple occassions, is finally being released uncut after being banned for over 7 years. The being uncut statement appears to be correct, but the film was actually released ten years after being banned, so why then didn't they print that instead of the '' banned for over 7 years''. 
    Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 66 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    I managed to visit the Filmways office on City Road Melbourne back in the 90s when I was doing the rounds of the distributors trying to get movie posters and the guy working there gave me a huge stack of Texas Chainsaw daybills because the film wasn't really getting many hires anymore. There was no sign of a one sheet or I'm sure he would have given one to me. I also picked up a stack of Evil Dead daybills and various others.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    I managed to visit the Filmways office on City Road Melbourne back in the 90s when I was doing the rounds of the distributors trying to get movie posters and the guy working there gave me a huge stack of Texas Chainsaw daybills because the film wasn't really getting many hires anymore. There was no sign of a one sheet or I'm sure he would have given one to me. I also picked up a stack of Evil Dead daybills and various others.
    There was an Evil Dead one sheet printed. Did you happen to get one of those while you were there? You certainlly were an enterprising person at that time.

    Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 66 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    No I didn't manage to pick one up. I don't think Filmways were at that site for very long after I cleaned them out. I, along with a few other collectors, used to do the rounds of Greater Union (on Hoddle Street) where we picked up Star Wars one sheets for $5. Village just off Dudley Street (they weren't so generous). I can't remember whether there was a specific Hoyts centre we went to.
  • RickRick Member Posts: 913 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I've never seen an Aussie TTCSM one-sheet, but i have the Evil Dead Aussie one-sheet
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    It was relatively common in the late 70's / early 80's for horror and exploitation films to be released only with a daybill. A quick look through some of my press sheets shows these films as having no one sheet:

    * Madman.
    * The Black Room.
    * The Burning.
    * Satan's Mistress.
    * Island of Fishmen.
    * Zombie Holocaust.
    * Omen II.
    * Dead of Night.
    * City of the Living Dead
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector


    Pancho said:
    It was relatively common in the late 70's / early 80's for horror and exploitation films to be released only with a daybill. A quick look through some of my press sheets shows these films as having no one sheet:

    * Madman.
    * The Black Room.
    * The Burning.
    * Satan's Mistress.
    * Island of Fishmen.
    * Zombie Holocaust.
    * Omen II.
    * Dead of Night.
    * City of the Living Dead
    Of the avove nine films 4 are from Hoyts, 2 x GUO, I x BEF and I x Filmways. Why these companies sometimes didn't print Australian one sheets for certain titlles is a mystery.

    For the remaining film from 20th Century Fox, although not listed on the Australian press sheet as you mentioned, I am confident that a U.S.A. printed international one sheet would have been used in Australia. This was common practice with the Hollywood majors around that period of time when an Australian one sheet wasn't printed. 

    The Damien Omen 11 ( 1978 ) international style A one sheet as appearing below when it was displayed in New Zealand for it's release there surely would have been used here in Australia as well one would have to think.

     
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited September 6
     Australian 6 sheet.

     Australian one sheet.

    We are fortunate to have these poster images existing today for  the well known Australian film Strike Me Lucky. They were designed and printed for the original 1934  first release.

    My question here is does an image of the original full colour Australian daybill exist as well? Has anyone seen one or knows of one that has survived?
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector




    Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981).  Two very similar designed Australian daybills. I have been asked my opinion on why the slight variations, that has been apparently been  raised on facebook? One daybill ( on the left above ) has ''Distributed by  Cinema International Corporation'' printed on it while the poster image on the right has ''Distributed by United International Pictures'' printed on it. I have read various different explanations regarding these daybills so I thought I would present my version of what took place with the two different printings.

    Raiders Of the Losr Ark was released originally in the U.S.A. on June 12, 1981. ( IMDB ).

    Released in Australia August 14, 1981. ( IMDB ).

    Cinema International Pictures ( CIC ) was formed in 1970 and operated until 1981, when it was reorganised as United International Pictures ( UIP ) in November, 1981.

    This then must surely date the CIC daybill as being the daybill produced for the August 1981 Australian first release.

    The problem that we have remaining here is with the UIP's daybill release date. There would appear to me two possible explanations. 

    Sometime after the name change which happened a few months after the Australian release the UIP version would have been printed and distributed as either a follow up second printing for the first release with an unknown date when this happened, or as there was an early 1982 re-release in the U.S.A., was there an official re-release in Australia as well? I will point out the U.S. 1982 poster designs  were completely different though in design to the design appearing above.
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Thanks so much Lawrence.
  • RickRick Member Posts: 913 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Interesting, thanks Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    HONDO said:
     Australian 6 sheet.

     Australian one sheet.

    We are fortunate to have these poster images existing today for  the well known Australian film Strike Me Lucky. They were designed and printed for the original 1934  first release.

    My question here is does an image of the original full colour Australian daybill exist as well? Has anyone seen one or knows of one that has survived?



    Could this be what the missing daybill image looks like? Any thoughts? More from me later on.
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited September 22




    With a few minor alterations this is what I believe the original BEF full colour long Australian daybill of Strike Me Lucky ( 1934 ) would look like.



    The above Everyones December 12, 1934 issue BEF advertisement has six film titles on display in a format that looks like daybill sized images. As one of the six images Grandad Rudd has a very similar image when compared to the original Australian first release daybill  pictured below, I am more than confident that the Strike Me Lucky and the remaining four film title images depicted would very closely resemble the original Australian daybill artwork.




                                                                                                                                                                  ( Most likely a re-release poster ).
    Lawrence
Sign In or Register to comment.