Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Restoration Feedback - should fold lines still be visible?

quixotic71quixotic71 Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
So I recently sent in a couple of posters for restoration and linen backing.
I got them back, and I was admittedly disappointed a bit with the still noticeable fold lines on one of the posters (poster had been folded in quarters).
Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic? Or maybe it's challenging to make it unnoticeable due to the lack of detail in that area?
Any thoughts?
The restorer is highly regarded on this forum and i won't name any names until some folks chime in.
The corners look pretty good unless you look really closely, I am just surprised about the fold lines still being visible.
Outside of that, I think it's a pretty good job.
Sorry the after photo isn't the greatest, so it's less visible than looking at it in hand....

Before 

After

Comments

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,834 admin
    edited February 19
    I don't see any fold lines that have not been addressed... Looks good unless you want to send close up photos. Many times with darker colors despite attention be given to fold line you will slightly still see them.  The only way a restorer (or painter at that point) would eliminate them, is to paint the entire area - which I would guess you don't want. 

That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,834 admin

• quixotic71quixotic71 Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Ok, this pretty much answers my question.
    There will be some modest presence of lines when they are retouched - it's unavoidable.
    I see faint ones onthe images you've posted, so if that's to be expected then that's fine.
    Again, overall I am pretty happy with the results, just wanted to temper my expectations with what typical results were for fold lines.

I've seen worse for sure.  Looks pretty good for touch-up...
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,468 admin
    agreed. looks pretty normal, even professionals will admit that completely covering fold lines is nearly impossible. I remember the Yoda stating once, replicating "printer's jet black" is unlikely. And with all the negative space on the Doors poster it's likely to show up within 6ft. 

@Charlie - that restoration is excellent work!

i got lucky with the mouth of eastwood on this touchup. 

i got a really good match and layering and it turned out nicely. But certainly still visible up close. 
    D
    overall, the lines were minimized very nicely. Zoom in, their present. ....David once referred to restoration as "camouflage" It's helped me keep my expectations in check.

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    As the person in the entire world who has inspected more linenbacked posters than ANYONE else (I invite anyone to dispute that!), I can tell you that all that was posted above is correct.

But more than that, you WANT to see traces of the folds! Because if you don't, it is a virtual guarantee that not only has the entire background been airbrushed over, and but the poster has also been sprayed with a clear coating to make the new paint not reflect differently from the rest of the poster.

What you end up with is a poster that was "dipped in paint", and there is NO other hobby that values this kind of restoration, and I believe that it is just a matter of time before this hobby shuns it too.

Then WHY is it done? It is mostly used by auction houses that sell to people who know nothing about movie posters. The poster displays great, and that is all they care about.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Disappearing fold lines are very much reliant on a few things but particularly the type of paper and the wear on the folds.  With gloss paper you will always see something.  Matte paper, not so much.  Daybills for example are far more forgiving so unless you really look, they do tend to disappear.

Looking at your before, I actually think you see very little, which is a mark of a good restorer.

Generally we go down the restoration route to preserve the poster as it has condition issues.  Its not to make it look brand new.  There are collectors who hate looking at folds and do it for aesthetics but these things are supposed to look like they had a life in my opinion.  Less is definitely more in this instance!

It's a gorgeous poster you have there, and from I can see your restorer did a great job!  Hopefully you can look at it and admire its beauty...I know I do.