Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Need Advice Pre Framing

bg1057bg1057 Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
Hello! I'm new to the forum and just want to say what a wealth of amazing information and posters. I'm glad I found you all. I'm a poster enthusiast and am looking forward to reading through more discussions on the forum.

I recently picked up a James Bond Dr. No French poster from an auction. It's been linen backed and has had a few tears repaired and is in generally good condition. The problem is I don't know how it was stored previous to my purchase. I am planning on framing it but don't know if I need to deacidify it before? As you know, usually when posters are repaired and linen backed they go through a deacid bath but I can't know for sure if this did. Is there a way of telling? Should I play it on the safe side and get it deacidified again? Will framing be enough?

Thanks for any help!

Best,
Ben

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Welcome aboard.

Hmmm, that is a doozy of a question and I have no idea.
    I would imagine if it was back it would have been taken care of already, any way of finding out who did the backing?

Perhaps one of the guys who does their own backing on this forum can chime in, but regards framing, I don't think that there is anything pre framing you need to worry about.  There would be plenty of options for you on framing and just how archival you go depending on your budget.

Hopefully someone else will jump in with answers to your other questions...
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,500 admin

Hey Ben,

I would assume the most individuals who linenback posters would deacidify them in a bath prior to backing them, and performing restoration. But that's certainly not something that can be assumed anymore.

As Ves said, if you know who performed the restoration, they could tell you if they deacidified the poster prior to linenbacking. Was it a bath? A deacid spray?

If you can post an image the poster might display some toning in the fold lines which could indicate there is the chance it wasn't deacidified.

Lastly, if it wasn't deacidified, and if you want it so, you'd really have to have the backing removed, then have it washed, and backed again.

Personally, why back a poster if your not going to deacidify it prior to backing? If not, the paper is vulnerable to continue to deteriorate at a faster than normal rate than if you had.

Hope that helps answer some questions.

• bg1057bg1057 Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    That was great @Eisenhower ! Thank you so much for the info. I agree, I find it hard to believe that it wasn’t deacidified at the time of backing. At least that’s what I’m going to believe and go ahead and get it framed as is. Thanks for your help and also to @theartofmovieposters .