Skip to content

Staples & Canvas Stretching Question

The two pictures below detail what I've used to stretch cotton duct to the frame I made.  The problem with the longer (approx. 1") staple (driving with an air gun) is the staples drive so deep,  I can't pull them out of the 2x4 frame/ board without tearing out significant chunks of wood out of the board.  If I keep stretching canvas this way,  I'll have so many embedded staples eventually it will be metal on metal when I try to mount additional cotton duct.  Guessing at some pint,  I'll jam the staple gun.

I only have an electric gun to drive the shorter 1/2" staples.  Some of these staples drive almost flush with the wood.  Many others stick up and create an even staple profile along the frame.  The electric powered gun can't really drive the staples deep into the wood to create a flush surface  Even though I had good success on my second linenbacking attempt with the uneven staple line,  the board will not lie entirely flat on the flat surface I'm used to support the mounting process.  These staples were easily removed from the frame after the linenbacking process was completed.

Q1:  What size staples are you guys using?
Q2:  How are you driving the staples?  Air/ compressor?  Electric?  Hand?
Q3:  How are you addressing the amount of staples left in the frame upon completion of the backing/ mounting process?

The longer,  air driven staples work best.  As mentioned,  they're near impossible to remove.

Q4:  Do I need a new air gun capable of driving shorter staples (would like to avoid the expense)
Q5:  Use a hand-driven 1/2" staple gun?

Thanks in advance for your advice/ thoughts!

Comments

• I’ll post pictures of what I use when I get home-Thurs look a little long. Yes-hand staple gun is what I use. 
  • I used 3/8" staples and a finish nailer with small compressor. I started with the manual and then electric stapler but the staples were not strong enough to stay in when you ripped off the extra bits of canvas after cutting it down. I was having to remove all these staples before starting the next canavas. With the finish nailer, you could just rip off the extra canvas bits and go right over the top.
  • Charlie said:
    I used 3/8" staples and a finish nailer with small compressor. I started with the manual and then electric stapler but the staples were not strong enough to stay in when you ripped off the extra bits of canvas after cutting it down. I was having to remove all these staples before starting the next canavas. With the finish nailer, you could just rip off the extra canvas bits and go right over the top.
    Yes.  I easily ripped off the leftover canvas bits.  I’m thinking at some point it’s going to be solid metal after driving more staples with the air nailer/ stapler.  I was thinking about a hand tacker/ stapler too (just bought sone 1/4” staples).  Sounds like that option didn’t work to well for you.  
  • Just build several frames and the whole staples driving into metal won’t be an issue. Maybe after 50 poster on a single frame….I just take 10 mins and remove most of my staples….
  • Just build several frames and the whole staples driving into metal won’t be an issue. Maybe after 50 poster on a single frame….I just take 10 mins and remove most of my staples….

concur.   I’ve developed a technique using a flat screwdriver and needle-nose pliers to remove them upon completion.   I started using 1/2” crown staples that are 1/4” long.  Now driving them with an air gun at 60psi.  It been a life/ hand saver!

• Once the wet work is completed how do you properly dry ?
  • Who has the best cotton duct, easy to use and not primed?
  • art stores
  • Check your responses.  I provided info for Jerry’s Art-O-Rama