Skip to content

All Quiet On The Western Front

I have never sighted any Australian daybill or Australian one sheet posters up till now on this very important film.

eMovieposter.com had a entry for an Australian daybill sold in 2003 but without any image shown. I asked  them  yesterday would they be able to retrieve the image for me and they kindly responded  today with the attached re-released daybill poster image.I wish to publicly thank them for doing this and the person who did this knows who he is. 

It is not original, and boy would I like to see one, but I believe from either the 1948 or the 1958 re-releasesthat happened  in Australia.I don't know the answer but I lean towards 1958 because of the style of poster design.

It is not a great poster at all in the artwork department but the wording on it is interesting and the rarity of  not having any Australian paper surface, to the best of my knowledge, makes it very collectible at least in my eyes and I would love to have a copy myself.  If it came up on eMovieposter or eBay today it certainly would fetch more than the $ 40.97 it sold for in 2003.   .

So then any thoughts on 1948 or 1958 or any other period between around 1945 & 1965 when Uiversal International was on the posters.

If anyone has any Australian poster material would you please share it with us?

Hondo

Comments

• It really is All Quiet On The Western Front.

Hondo

• :-??

Wish I could add something other than "Keep em coming Hondo!"...
  • Yeah, I can't recall seeing anything either, but after a while my swiss cheese brain blends everything in together...
  • You would hope the original would be as great a poster as the US1SH.
  • Was reading the post David added to the censorship thread, and if as stated this was banned, why would there be any material on it?
  • edited December 2016
    I think you might find it was initially banned (for about a decade?) and then released with cuts so the material will be from the first release in the late 30s early 40s.

As a side note: The book itself was banned for a time in NSW (they're a sensitive lot up there), but given it was available elsewhere in Australia, so hardly a ban when you could write to Uncle Cletus to send you a copy. The films was also banned in NZ.
  • Ta.  Where are the details about the cuts and the later release?
  • Cue: Lawrence

(I just remember reading about it somewhere)
  • oki dokes...will do a search on this site in case it's here someone.
  • Found it!

Some more information about All quiet On The Western Front which was banned in Victoria only in 1930 that I had mentioned briefly at the start of this thread. The film was banned on Pacifism grounds. In 1939  All Quiet On The Western Front was then banned Australia wide again on Pacifism grounds for the duration of the war. The film had a nationwide Australian re-release in 1948.

So looks like if it was only banned in Vic then posters might be about for release in other states.

• So looks like if it was only banned in Vic then posters might be about for release in other states.

OK. I just don't know as I haven't looked in to it
  • Found it!

Some more information about All quiet On The Western Front which was banned in Victoria only in 1930 that I had mentioned briefly at the start of this thread. The film was banned on Pacifism grounds. In 1939  All Quiet On The Western Front was then banned Australia wide again on Pacifism grounds for the duration of the war. The film had a nationwide Australian re-release in 1948.

So looks like if it was only banned in Vic then posters might be about for release in other states.

Ves you have summed it up nicely. The sequel The Road Back ( 1937 ) was also banned in 1939 for the duration of the war on pacifism grounds as well. Although All Quiet On The Western Front was banned in 1939 a few screenings continued in some country venues in at least NSW and Queensland as late as March 2, 1940. In 1939 I found a newspaper advertisement for a Rockhampton, Queensland cinema calling their screening a ''special re-release ''.

A full poster range would have been produced  for the original Australian release ( excluding Victoria of course ).

• I can't take credit for your work...I just cut and paste the relevant section from your post in the Frankenstein thread... :)
  • There's your daybill - well 4 of them.  (I thought we had this picture already???)  Best I could do.

• Excellent information. Yes the glass case display image was shown previously but this latest image is a little larger and clearer, particularly with what look like daybills..
  • Stunning daybills for a masterpiece movie. To be honest even the later remake staring 'John-boy Walton' was actually pretty good, but not a patch on the original! Definitely have one of those Daybills going onto my Grail list, thanks Ves (not that I actually expect one to ever turn up!!)
  • You never know what is around the corner.
    I have seen many posters (unfortunately not for me mind you!) which collectors have been after for a very long time, eventually surface.

Remember alot of the older collectors don't post what they have...seems to be only us nutjobs :)

I've been told of what a few people have (never seen mind you) and I just live in hope that eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later) they are let loose on the rest of us.

Though granted the earlier stuff, is ah...a bit harder...
  • @HONDO Rick's just picked up/added an image of the Re-release daybill to the August thread. 
  • @HONDO Rick's just picked up/added an image of the Re-release daybill to the August thread. 
    Thanks Wil. Another poster of this re-release style with slightly different colour was also sold by Bruce in 2003 and an image appears at the beginning section of this thread. 
  • Yes, I saw It Lawrence, I thought Rick's may be in slightly better condition and could provide a clearer image. 
  • Yes, I saw It Lawrence, I thought Rick's may be in slightly better condition and could provide a clearer image. 
    Yes the latest image certainly looks like it is in far better condition than the earlier one. Good thought to post the latest image.