Skip to content

Cool 9 to 5 Jobs

Tell us about the places you've worked and the things at work that are not your normal 9 to 5 grind.

Comments

• I had a mate who I went to school with, shared a house with, played rugby with, etc etc who would eventually own a strip club some years later. I got free drinks each time I visited him, we would chin wag at the back of the room and get served drinks by the girls, ok, it wasn't a job but I worked pretty hard to get there most Friday nights...
  • What about us 7:30-4:00 o'clock monkeys...
  • That includes you too and next week I'll be a 6.00am-3.30pm dude. (Every Monday off) :D
  • I use to work in my dad's sports card shop when I was a kid... I use to take quarters (coins) out of the register when I would take extended breaks at the local arcade.  I later found out that he of course knew and actually got extra rolls of quarters at the bank so I could take the quarters...
  • That is a very cool story Charlie...what a great Dad.
  • Sweet story Charlie!

Ummm...so Dave...got any pics.
    :-\"
  • I've had a few cool jobs. Melbourne Grand Prix for a few years. Setting up comms for all the F1 teams in the garages and on pit lane. Melbourne Commonwealth Games 2006, temp. comms cabling on multiple sites. Yallourn Power Station (otherwise known as asbestos city), BHP head office doing telephone cabling moves, adds and changes. The chat I had with the guy who designs their ships was very cool. They have a massive room with all the ships built as models in glass cases. 

Not cool jobs...supermarket cabling...done a bucket load of...bank cabling....no money in it haha, but a few funny stories to tell...domestic cabling....sucks big time....and any works that require crawling underneath floors and inside ceilings in summer!

But next week, there will be another cool job coming up. :)
  • Matt said:

I really hope it is abandoned, old theatre cabling!!
  • CSM said:
    Matt said:

I really hope it is abandoned, old theatre cabling!!
    Unfortunately no, oh bugger....sniff.
  • Started with a new company today. Well... new job, the company I had worked for 7 years back in 2001.

HMAS Adelaide is being fitted out and there are thousands of fibre cores to terminate. This will be home for the next 5 months.

LHD01

When I got inside the ship, I walked 20 metres and I was lost!

• Very cool job.
  • OK now that's an interesting job!
  • Although most of the time my job is picky, exacting work, we occasionally get to do or witness something cool like this (no, that's not me on the rampof that Airbus A400.  I'm an old fat guy safely tucked away in the cockpit of the other plane)

• Piss off! That's an awesome photo!
  • Whoa cool Jay!
  • In high school I bused tables and got free tacos, chips & salsa! It was only a night job, but the free food was great! :D
  • My second job when I first started work was working in the kitchen for Pizza Hutt doing OM (other meals - ie other than pizza), this is why I never ate OMs ever again.
  • Free Tacos.....yummmm
  • I was low kid on the totem pole but the free food sitting in a dark corner in the back of the kitchen was worth it! :D
  • Back then OMs were things like steak, fish etc - you know the sort of thing your order when you go to a pizza restaurant and NOT like pizza... b-(
  • Well, I've put on 3kgs in three weeks working on the ship. The cafeteria puts on roast beef/pork, curries, pasta at restaurant quality for $7 a pop. Last week I had to resort to salad sandwiches which are also delicious. The cafe windows face the ship, which is massive. Gawd...I wish I could take photos.

It's certainly a job I'll never forget, that's for sure. I've only seen about 10% of the ship it's amazing.

It has the best view of Melbourne because you are up high on the bay. About 30 meters on the flight deck.
  • Yeah shame about the pics - love that view of the city from that side of the bay
  • Yup, it's way better up high than the view from the Williamstown foreshore.....especially with hot balloons floating in the sky in the morning.
  • edited February 2015
    I can't take photos or talk about Itar items and equipment yet you can see a lot of what I see on You Tube....go figure!

• Maybe you should just video the place?

Big ship. Looked like they had an excess of people at 0:44 for that pass the parcel line.
  • Wozw wot a ship!!! My dad used to work for a merchant shipping company. ..oh...His ship was huge...i loved the smell of the ocean mixed with the smell of the engines. ..the worst ..was the noise. The best...The food!!! ~O)
  • edited February 2015
    Fantastic ship Matt! At just over 750ft, it's huge! Great 9-5 job :)>-