Skip to content

Linen Backing Removal

Hey everyone. Can a poster be removed from its linen backing? I've seen some near mint posters linen backed to preserve, but prefer in el natural..so is it possible to remove linen and just get it cleaned and pressed? I saw on cinemasterpieces they say once anything is backed it needs to be rebacked . Has anyone had a poster unbacked to return it to its original or near original state?

Comments

• I say yes... Can't prove it though. Need to "go fund" a 72" heat press.
  • edited February 2015
    They say you can - I used my special mind meld technique to call an expert.

• edited February 2015
    Was that the episode when Spock had to go back to Vulcan to mate?
  • You can but in nearly all instances you would have to reback the poster
  • Thanks Charlie Chris and all, appreciate it .
  • Hello Sven,

In general yes! You can remove Linen backing, but it is stressful to the paper. It can easly turn in to more damage doing so.

A few important factors. The glue must be an archival/reversible type like Wheat paste.

Also it is good to know what treatments been used like bleach. Bleach will break the fibers down and make the poster more volatile in the soak. Remember the poster needs a lot of time to soak off the backings and bleaching is one of the most traumatic treatments to paper and the poster might not be able to handle it.

I think I read something somewhere here about a poster that was backed and smelled like bleach when done. Basically that poster is still cooking. That is not good!

The poster will look like shit when dried and should be backed again or you can put it in a heat press, but how much punishment does you poor old poster deserve?

Linen backing will also alter the size of your poster, just a wee bit.

End of the day. Why go the long way around? Wait for an un backed version. Save money and no risks involved. It is expensive to remove a backing.

Best regards,
    dario.

• Thanks Dario this helped me very much and greatly appreciate you spending the time to go into this detail which I find really interesting. Best!
  • Dario's must be recovered from his b-day hangover! ~O)
  • Thanks Yoda! :D