Skip to content

Daybills Vs Inserts

Comments

• That San Quentin daybill should have been mine :((
  • Actually that Down to Earth insert looks pretty good to me.

• imageimage

Daybill a clear winner.

• Definitely, the portraits on the top part of the poster are wonderful!

• imageimage

Nice insert but the colour of the daybill wins the day.

• Not sure if this is always consistent, but from my observations it seems that Inserts started placing photo "scene" images at the bottom of the paper - seemed to happen around the late 40s and certainly more prominent by the 50s. For me typically, less artwork usually = less visual appeal/impact. Daybills certainly seem to be winning these face offs!
  • photo F5AA5CCF-15F3-4581-8397-7B90D3D0308D_zpsplbarfnm.jpg photo 3D23C8BE-E6D3-4FEB-9C2F-3D23AEA56821_zpsabxbqewp.jpg Winner?
  • Insert. photo 3156146B-DD70-40E7-A5E3-F8EB5D3DB2D2_zpstczxq2sy.jpg DB photo AFB405C1-2B15-4882-8F57-306FE5F0829C_zps94ylz8hf.jpg ....Daybill again?... 8->
  • I actually prefer the double indemnity insert!
  • I agree Sven. Thanks why I put a ? after winner. The photos in the insert have a rich color and mood that seems to put it just over the DB.
  • Sven said:
    I actually prefer the double indemnity insert!
    Agree...Something about Stanwyck's face, is not quite right on the daybill.
  • It is fabulous on The Furies though.

• photo F48A1D39-4A2C-4FC6-B054-86146991F038_zpstuvyagqc.jpg image
    Daybill image borrowed from a busy John.
  • Nice Hondo/John.
  • Never seen the original release Rope daybill before
  • CSM said:
    Never seen the original release Rope daybill before
    Is it bad that I like the RR more?
  • CSM said:
    Well if it is I am guilty too
  • edited July 2015
    CSM said:
    CSM said:
    Well if it is I am guilty too

Agreed! The original DB is too similar to the insert & the R58 DB Hitch portrait makes it!
  • The daybill re-release was in 1964 in Australia.
  • Sorry if '58 is incorrect. I took my info off of EMP which had the following on the DB I displayed:...... Important Added Info: Note that, in 1958, MGM acquired the distribution rights for this Alfred Hitchcock classic from Warner Bros. (I am not certain if it included distribution rights within the U.S., or only outside the U.S.). They printed a really cool all new posters and a title card that have a giant image of Alfred Hitchcock looming above Jimmy Stewart (and they also used the image for the Argentinean, English, and Belgian release). The U.S. posters were "Litho in U.S.A.", but are undated, and some dealers have mistakenly sold these posters as original release international posters, but they are definitely from the 1958 MGM re-release. In the 1960s, Universal acquired the rights to this movie, and they re-released it in 1964 and 1965.
  • Mark if you would like to go into my thread titled '' Dating The Rope Re-issue Daybill'' I explain in detail my facts and thoughts on why the daybill wasn't released in Australia in 1958 but actually in 1964.
  • Interesting read Hondo, so it seems that the printing by Robert Burton along with local advertisements confirm it was '64 and not close to '58. Good stuff!
  • HONDO said:
    The daybill re-release was in 1964 in Australia.
    Just discovered Rope was first re-released in Sydney, Australia on August 7, 1963, before the A.C.T. and country screenings in 1964.
  •                                                                                                                                                                                           Point Blank ( 1967 ). You make up your mind. which is best.
  • Daybill wins
  • David said:
    Daybill wins

I agree. I am curious to see what others think.  2 / 0 in favour of the daybill so far.
  • I vote daybill too.
  • I vote daybill too.
    me too
  • 4 nil in favour of the daybill so far.