Skip to content

Columbia Pictures Logos Used On Australian Daybills In The 1960s.

Between 1960 & 1969 ---

The lady with a torch logo  was used on Australian daybills 1960 to 1966 ( possible there could have been a few early 1967 also.

The large C with a torch used 1967 to 1969.

There were daybills without either logo that were logo free found in the late 1960s also- e.g. Luv,Easy Rider, Land Raiders & Happy Birthday, Wanda June.

I have always believed this daybill with the lady with a torch  logo was printed for the first Australian release in 1962. I know the majority of others that have commented on which of many The Guns Of Navarone daybills came first disagree. The other daybills that are logo free in my opinion only would be from a late 1960s re-release. I am aware of the censorship classification argument but I think the logo wins out over the rating classification.

Comments

• The Information David posted on Columbia logos is interesting but it doesn't align with the logos printed on the Australian daybills.

Logopedia states the logo and periods used --

The Columbia lady with the lamp logo was used 1945-1964. I have proof this logo still appeared on Columbia daybills released  in Australia up to late 1967, almost three years after it apparently ceased being used in the U.S.A.

The large C with the torch logo was used 1964-1976. So far I have only found 1968 Columbia Australian release daybills plus 1969. It is possible very late in 1967 there may have been a few examples that exist, but this not confirmed. Haven't researched the 1970s yet so I haven't confirmed the 1976 date yet.

Have found a lot of daybills 1968 & 1969 with no logos at all.

• edited August 2015
    I think one of the things one has to take into consideration is that sometimes local (Australian/New Zealand) businesses who were distributors of any overseas product did not always follow what the master/brand owner did/directed (immediately). This may be due to the tyranny of distance, the issues with speedy communication or simply because the local distributor didn't want to. And sometimes the owner (of the brand) didn't always get round to telling the us of the changes immediately!

One has to remember that in the antipodes not all businesses were 'branches', sometime they were businesses in their own right with no connection (profit/share holders etc) back to the brand owner, so sometimes the financial burden to change was on the distributor, and perhaps their budgets were spent. 

These things did happen, I have run businesses distributing major international brands where for a whole host of reasons we have not changed the livery or immediately followed the marketing strategy the instant it happened in the 'home' country.

So the fact that Australia did not follow the USA brand change timetable is not really a surprise, but unless we can speak to the local GM at the time then we probably will never know the reason and can probably only estimate the actual dates.
  • David said:
    I think one of the things one has to take into consideration is that sometimes local (Australian/New Zealand) businesses who were distributors of any overseas product did not always follow what the master/brand owner did/directed (immediately). This may be due to the tyranny of distance, the issues with speedy communication or simply because the local distributor didn't want to. And sometimes the owner (of the brand) didn't always get round to telling the us of the changes immediately!

REPLY- Probably all true.

One has to remember that in the antipodes not all businesses were 'branches', sometime they were businesses in their own right with no connection (profit/share holders etc) back to the brand owner, so sometimes the financial burden to change was on the distributor, and perhaps their budgets were spent. 

REPLY - All Columbia outlets in the 1960s in Australia , the period in question, were branch offices.

These things did happen, I have run businesses distributing major international brands where for a whole host of reasons we have not changed the livery or immediately followed the marketing strategy the instant it happened in the 'home' country.

REPLY - Again probably all true.

So the fact that Australia did not follow the USA brand change timetable is not really a surprise, but unless we can speak to the local GM at the time then we probably will never know the reason and can probably only estimate the actual dates.

REPLY - I agree about the reason but not about the actual dates. I intend through further research,  as I have access to all Columbia Pictures Sydney city releases from the whole of the 1960s and also access to a vast amount of Columbia daybill images and to a lesser extent one sheet images to be able pinpoint to within a month  the period the two logos started to appear and when they ceased being used on Australian Columbia Pictures posters.  The period I have already mentioned is accurate but I intend to fine-tune it as I have just mentioned to within a month. It won't be a major job as I have already recorded a good deal of the required information so the remainder of the research won't be too difficult but at the same time enjoyable. I have also sighted  trade advertisements for Columbia Pictures upcoming product containing logos in question and the years involved.