Skip to content

The Lawrence Quiz

In the pile of rubble was this piece...I like a little leg but that's almost all I have to go on.

You're time starts now Lawrence! =)

Comments

• :o

WOW...That is impressive. Is there anything you don't know Lawrence!

• A Freakish sixth sense for identification of daybills..go lawrence!
  • Well that's a nice one. Hope I find the rest of it! 
  • Ok, Lawrence-a US question: why are these two Jaws posters different? I am guessing the one w/o the full credits is an advance/teaser?---EMP last sold one in 2004. Can you confirm? Thanks. 

Advance/teaser? The regular release?

• edited August 2015

7e842 JAWS Aust daybill 75 art of Spielbergs classic man-eating shark attacking sexy swimmer2j464 JAWS Aust daybill 75 art of Steven Spielbergs classic man-eating shark attacking swimmer5t790 JAWS Aust daybill 75 art of Spielbergs classic man-eating shark attacking sexy swimmer

Same with the Aussie too Mark?

Edit, there appears to be three printings. Look at the colour of the ratings stamp.

• That looks like two similar Daybills. With the 2 Jaws one sheets-one is missing credits at the bottom. EMP does not indicating as an advance-couldn't find it at all on HA. Color on the top one sheet is a darker blue. 
  • Well that was the only 'piece' so no possible restoration, one for the rubbish.

And here's another, no other piece exists, for the bin. But what's the title? Probably an easier one...

• With the U.S. one sheets one would believe one is an advance / teaser and the other from the official first release.

The three daybills  I believe are from three separate printings by M.A.P.S. for the first release of Jaws. CIC made a habit of printing various styles of daybill designs for a lot of Universal & Paramount films, even if only different by slight colour change or wording, in the 1970s & 1980s for whatever reason. 

There is also another similar daybill printed by Robert Burton which is most likely from the 1979 U.S.re-release that played in Australia as part of a double bill with Jaws 2 in at least 1980.

• David said:
    Well that was the only 'piece' so no possible restoration, one for the rubbish.

And here's another, no other piece exists, for the bin. But what's the title? Probably an easier one...

Did you work out the answer to this one?
  • I was waiting for Lawrence - looks like I stumped the Brains Trust!

• The Sword Of Monte Christo is the answer but I don't have a daybill image to share.
  • Very nice...don't think the piece of paper is worth keeping, but a nice poster nonetheless.
  • Seriously, that is impressive!
  • Nice detective work chaps!
  • But the most impressive thing would be for David to share the rest of the find (perhaps even some complete posters?  ;) )
  • edited August 2015
    More from the Behind the Wall collection: two different posters/films and (in the case of the second one) the pieces are the right way round:

• edited August 2015
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Above And Beyond ( 1952 )
  • Very good.

And the other? A LOT harder nay, near impossible I say
  • edited August 2015

I originally looked at the two images in a hurry just before I was leaving to attend a dental appointment and thought the second image was Eleanor Parker's hair but I now see it isn't. Mission impossible I would say to identify the second image.

• Yep, it be be nigh on impossible, even for you.

So clue is: It's a western with a female star.
  • Thought it might have been Montana Belle but it wasn't. Will think about your clue.
  • edited August 2015
    Well you're wrong it is...not bad effort.

• edited August 2015
    I remembered that shade of blue from when I had originally sighted the Montana Belle daybill. It is a beautiful shade of blue you don't often see on daybill posters very often. It is interesting when you isolate a small piece of poster it is hard to match it up with the complete poster. I think my effort rates slightly higher than your not bad comment. The earlier much easier piece I solved at least received from you a very good comment. Can I receive an upgrade to very good? 
  • I wondered if the blue would be a good enough clue, because yes, it is a very unusual colour for a Daybill

HONDO said:
     The earlier much easier piece I solved at least received from you a very good comment. Can I receive an upgrade to very good? 
    Hmmm best i can do is Very Good+ I'd go higher but I had to front up with a clue. ;)

• HONDO said:
     The earlier much easier piece I solved at least received from you a very good comment. Can I receive an upgrade to very good? 
    Hmmm best i can do is Very Good+ I'd go higher but I had to front up with a clue. ;)
    Fair enough. I'm more than  happy with Very Good plus. It beats a not bad effort anyday.
  • I think it deserves an excellent plus rating.