Skip to content

Rating on long daybills

I have a few long daybills with this stamp on them.

My question is why?

They all have no rating on them.

Was this an early aussie thing?  Not an aussie thing?  And surely they wouldn't have done this to EVERY print of the poster?

Comments

• Is it possible to list the titles of the long daybills in question? I would like to know the years involved.
  • edited September 2015

The Red Mark - Australian long daybill

The Cossacks - Australian long daybill

Prince of Adventurers - Australian long daybill

There you go...if you need anything else just let me know. 

Thanks Lawrence

• Thanks Ves. Another question is the stamp on the back of two of the posters and if the stamp is on the back I assume you would have noticed if it was on any other daybills apart from these two.?
  • Hi Lawrence,
    They are both stamped on the front...very faint but still there.  Prince of adventurers is the only one I have seen with the stamp so prominent.  These are the only 3 I have with the stamp.
  • On The Red Mark, you can just make it out to the left of Nina ' credit.
    On The Cossacks, it is across the white box with the credits.
  • edited September 2015

The following is the best I can come up with regarding your question Ves.

The late 1920s onwards saw a considerable tightening of censorship in Australia generally and that of film in particular. By the end of 1928 a Commonwealth Film Censorship Board ( 3 persons ) had been established in Australia.

The three films you show examples of with the censorship rating on them were released in Australia in either late 1928, and in the case of The Cossacks in October1928 or possibly early 1929.

The stamping of the three posters coincides with the starting up of the CFSB in 1928, The reason for the stamping of the posters will probably have to remain unknown but I could come up with a theory but will refrain from doing so except to say this is probably the first primitive attempt at censorship ratings being placed on posters in Australia.

If one is to take a look down the track at the Mammy ( 1930 ) daybill  General Exhibition had been now applied professionly to the poster.

• Thanks Lawrence, very much appreciated as usual.

So then I am guessing the stamp would have been applied to all if not most of the posters printed.

• Possibly but if so apparently applied without much gusto.