Skip to content

Artist for W.E.Smith posters - revealed!

A couple of months ago, Hondo was able to track down one of the artists for W.E.Smith posters. His name is Aub Moseley and his is now in his 80s.

I spoke at length to Aub over a couple of months and have written an article on his life as a movie poster artist on OzeFilm

I hope you enjoy reading it...........

http://www.ozefilm.com/aub-moseley-australian-movie-poster-artists/

Comments

• That is amazing John. I was thinking the other day, with all these questions 're dating the daybill we just need to find someone who had worked there. This is great to preserve their knowledge! Can't wait to read. Well done John and Hondo!
  • Great article! Congrats to you and Lawrence for helping to reveal the other side of movie posters.
  • Thanks guys. I have also updated the information on some of the other Australian movie poster artists ....

http://www.moviemem.com/pages/australian-movie-poster-artists.php

There is now lots of information and images from artists like Wynne W.Davies, Frank Tyler and many more.

• edited May 2015
    And great read. Thats nice to know he can look back on his work knowing it's truely appreciated.
  • Sven said:
    And great read. That a nice to know he can look back on his work knowing it's truely appreciated.
    Agree
  • yeah, very nice read. wish we could get more first hand info from the designers of these great works! am guessing most have passed.
  • Fantastic John (and great work Hondo)!  Too bad Aub didn't stay at Burton longer to help keep the quality in check
  • Good work gents!
  • I found another example of Aub Moseleys art. No wonder he was proud of this one .....

• Sad news that Aub Moseley has passed away. Aub was an accomplished Australian movie poster artist with a distinctive style. His funeral will be held on Thursday.

• John said: Sad news that Aub Moseley has passed away. Aub was an accomplished Australian movie poster artist with a distinctive style. His funeral will be held on Thursday.
    Sad news indeed. I am certainly pleased I managed to contact Aub. last year and have three long talks with him over a period od time. When I originally asked him if he would mind if I contacted John Reid with a story to be possibly written about his life in mind by John and for John to connect him he seemed very happy about this happening. My last conversation with Aub. was after John had written about him and given him a copy and he had shared his story with people he knew and this seemed to make him happy to be acknowledged for the great poster artwork he was responsible for. Between John and myself a little history recorded and preserved. Unfortunately more film history is lost than saved. He seemed a nice man and I say ''Work well done' Aub-R.I.P.''.
  • That's sad to hear.

RIP Aub.

• Sadly, Aub's family don't have any of his posters. His collection was stolen many years ago and he never picked up any others.

If anyone has any of his posters, the family would be interested in acquiring them. You can see some of them here ...

http://www.ozefilm.com/aub-moseley-australian-movie-poster-artists/

Please contact me if you have anything and I will put you in touch with the family.

• Hmmm...I probably have some but how to know which ones he did?
  • He didn't sign any unfortunately, but he did remember doing Night to Remember, Jungle Jim, Passionate Summer, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, City of Bad Men. Lawrence might know of more that he did.
  • Hmmm, yeah I saw those titles in your great article...if Lawrence does know of any more, would love to hear them...I don't think I have any of those, and it would be great for his family to have something he did...so sad...
  • Just saw your image for Passionate Summer...artwork very much Like A Town Like Alice...wonder if he did those?
  • I have been unable to download an image of one of Aub.'s posters so I have asked someone else to do so on my behalf and it hopefully will happen tomorrow all going well. A nice poster.
  • Just saw your image for Passionate Summer...artwork very much Like A Town Like Alice...wonder if he did those?
    There are quite a few posters that certainly look to be "in the style of" Aub Moseley. Unfortunately, he could only specifically remember a few of the posters he designed.
  • HONDO said:
    I have been unable to download an image of one of Aub.'s posters so I have asked someone else to do so on my behalf and it hopefully will happen tomorrow all going well. A nice poster.
    Which one?

• Moulin Rouge ( 1952 ). Ves has kindly agreed to download the image to this thread tonight.
  • Sure did Ves and thanks very much.

• edited February 2016
    Two other daybill posters Aub. designed whilst at W.E.Smith were Sailor Of The King ( 1953 ) and the original full colour version of Bitter Springs ( 1950 ). The bad news is no images have yet to surface to the best of my knowledge. Love to see his work he did on these daybills. Somewhere someone must have a copy of these posters and hopefully images will surface sooner than later.
  • Full colour version of Bitter Springs!  WHY!??!?!?!?!?! (Tears hair out)