Skip to content

Wicker Man Australian posters

I've just watched the Wicker Man blu ray which made me think - I don't recall seeing an Australian poster for it. I've got the U.K. one-sheet but has anyone got any Aussie paper?

Comments

• Hi Rick

I have had the daybill and one sheet for Wicker Man but pretty rare. This is all I can find at the moment.

• Here is the Australian one sheet.

• Rick said:
    I've just watched the Wicker Man blu ray which made me think - I don't recall seeing an Australian poster for it. I've got the U.K. one-sheet but has anyone got any Aussie paper?
    A great, great movie! I have watched it many times.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Thanks John and Hondo - I like the Aussie art too. 
    Yes Bruce it is a great movie. I hadn't seen it for years and had forgotten how good it was.
    Now to get that Aussie art!
  • I've only ever seen the one sheet listed on ebay once, so they must be quite rare!
  • I saw the film for the first time yesterday - quite unique!

Some interesting background information here ....

http://www.steve-p.org/wm/

• Given the movie was released in 1974 and not 1934, does anyone has a theory as to why these posters are so scarce? many other posters of that vintage are plentiful!
  • Pretty sure the daybill was on ebay last week?

I'm guessing popular film...

• it was Ves, and i was the loosing bidder (even after bidding more than I had planned)
  • edited February 2016
    It is regarded as an iconic film now but might not have had wide cinema release. I imagine that there wouldn't have been a lot of posters printed for it hence its rarity.
  • It was very hard to find in the U.S. on its first release. I know because I really wanted to see it, and literally had to travel hundreds of miles to get to do so.

But I felt it was well worth it!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• This always brings me back to the biggest question in daybill collecting - trying to figure out how many posters were printed for a movie's release. For example, Nightmare Honeymoon was certainly no great film and it came out about the same time as the Wicker Man yet daybills for NH are always available. Surely there wasn't 10 times more posters done for NH? Could have something to do with the company that released the film?
  • I wonder if the printers used any type of forecasting methodology to determine volume of daybills to produce e.g. popularity or number of cinemas it will show at. Then imagine post the movie it may have been hit and miss re: if posters were trashed in the bin or someone in the industry has them salted away.

• One point I will make is every poster ever printed in Australia will have it's own history. One example is the 1956 film Guilty? which was released in Australia and had a RKO daybill printed for it for the Australian release. No examples have ever been shown on the web or on any listings for sale to my knowledge yet I know of someone who has 49 unused copies. Is it possible someone and possibly from the industry is sitting on a pile of The Wicker Man daybills and perhaps Australian one sheets as well? 
  • I recall a thread where john mentioned of two collectors in Queensland who were in the industry that stock piled as many posters as possible and probably still are..then many others that are not on anyones radar
  • Is there a suggestion that posters were only printed after theatres had booked the film? Would the releasing company print a base lot of posters and then 'top up' if needed? I suppose that could explain duo-tone re-release daybills for pretty minor films.