Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Most Laughable Censorship Ever?

HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
edited September 2015 in Attack of the Censor
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Coming very soon is some of the most laughable censorship ever applied to movie posters and it isn't Australian or New Zealand. I assure you will be amused once you see it.
Post edited by David on
Lawrence

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited September 2015

Cover Up ( 1949 )                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Far Top two images are U.S. 3 sheets &  the just above two U.S.one sheet images have in each case the original artwork plus the same poster heavily censored.

Let's start with the 3 sheet. On the original there are three hand guns. On the 2nd poster censorship has William Bendix's gun blacked out, Dennis O'Keefe's gun turned into a telephone and the gun on the ground changed into a genie lamp.    

The U.S. one sheets immediately above shows the original one sheet first with three hand guns depicted. On the image just above here is the censored version. William Bendix holding a threatening  piece of paper, Dennis O'Keefe as the one armed man and the apparently dead man on the ground holding his prize possession, his hat.       

According to eMovieposter.com the censoring likely occurred in Canada where they censored out almost every gun that was shown on a poster.

I would like to hear from Chris on if he can confirm this type of censoring happened and what he can inform us about on this matter.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Be it be Canada which I am sure it is or some where else this is the most amusing censorship I have ever seen. Does Anyone else agree?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Lawrence
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    The genie lamp is hilarious! 
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Sven said:

Agree!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    The genie lamp and telephone certainly are hilarious!  And go right along with typical Canadian humor so why not?
    Chris
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,307 admin
    Sven said:
    :rofl: 
    David
    I've come across a daybill with a remarkably stupid rating label - I just wonder if anyone has seen a stupid rating label they'd care to share?
    Pancho said:
    I've come across a daybill with a remarkably stupid rating label - I just wonder if anyone has seen a stupid rating label they'd care to share?

Can we see your example?
    Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 964 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Lawrence, I have sold many tens of thousands of posters that originated in Canada, and I can assure you that either all, or the vast majority of this particular kind of censorship originated there (I know for certain).

What is very sad is that they used a specific type of black ink that completely bonds in to the paper. I have seen restorers able to lighten it, but never remove it, so to restore it, it must be painted over.

But as I say on many of these when I auction them, depending on how you look at it, this can either be a major detraction or a cool addition!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    The censors hated guns, knives, and too much female flesh. This is probably the most frequently censored one-sheet I have encountered.

See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    P.S. Note the Canadian censor stamp in the top right.
    You must have enjoyed the Cover Up posters I previously posted then.
    Lawrence
    edited April 2016
    HONDO said:
    You must have enjoyed the Cover Up posters I previously posted then.
    I do now, and did when I first auctioned them in 2007 and 2013.

When I auctioned the censored one, I graded it as "fair" and described its condition this way:

"Note that this poster has been censored! It likely occurred in Canada, because the vast majority of posters with censor paint like this have originated in Canada, where they were crazy about censoring out images that were deemed either "too sexy" or "too violent", and that generally included almost any gun that was shown. On this poster, they covered up one gun, turned the gun on the floor into a genie lamp (!) and O'Keefe is now holding a phone! Depending on how you look at it, this is either a huge defect or kind of a neat curiosity but know that the censor paint most likely cannot be removed."
    Seeing censorship like that is kind of cute all these years later.
    David

Nothing too strange so far - dodgy sexploitation film, R rating. But look at the yellow label:

WTF?? So I can take my 5 year old son in with me?? Can't imagine this style of rating lasted too long!
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    :s I was thinking the same re: my 5yr old...OMG!
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
  • RichRich Member, Dealer, Tea Lady Posts: 237 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    I had a DOA lobby card where they removed the gun Ed O'Brien was holding and replaced it with a wad of money
    Rich Halegua
    Visit MoviePosterBid
    Rich said:
    I had a DOA lobby card where they removed the gun Ed O'Brien was holding and replaced it with a wad of money

Just had a look and very amusing indeed.
    Lawrence
    There are a zillion of these in my auction history.

Sometimes the censors did a great job, and other times...

Consider this example:

Apparently,  the portion of the image that showed a sexy scantily clad Susan Hayward and the tagline ("For this woman, he broke God's own Commandment!") was just "too much" for that particular theater in those much more innocent times!

Or how about this one:

Note that in both cases above, they carefully censored one sexy image, but ignored another! Weird.
    In the Captains Table both female images were 'adjusted'
    David
    Yep, that's what I was thinking.
    David
    David said:
    I did not look close enough! But it still is odd they did not also give the second girl a one piece.

Bruce said:
    David said:
    I did not look close enough! But it still is odd they did not also give the second girl a one piece.

Very true.
    David