Skip to content

Is this the very first advertisement for The Alamo - dated 1952?

I've been a big collector of Pressbooks for years and have a virtual complete collection of UK Pressbooks covering every film released in 1950-1953 plus a whole selection of U.S. Pressbooks. But among the job lots I recently purchased I came across this advertisement from a U.S. trade magazine in 1952 for The Alamo when it was going to be made by Republic. I am wondering if this is the very first advertisement ever for The Alamo.
I've also got what appear to be pull-outs from U.S. trade magazines including a four-page advert for The African Queen in 1952.

Comments

• The date of the trade magazine the advertisement appeared in would be appreciated. I would have thought sometime in late 1951. Republic ended up of course with their Alamo version called The Last Command released in 1955.
  •  The Republic John Wayne production poster Angel And The Badman ( 1947 ) that the image of John Wayne on The Alamo advertisement was borrowed and adapted from. 
  •                    ( 1960 )                                                                                  ( 1955 )
  • A big welcome Brian, we are big fans of press books. Keep'em coming!
  • Yes, come on Brian, we wants more....