Skip to content

S2 re-creation prints

What's the general opinion regarding investment potential on the S2 re-prints completed in 97? 30+ years from now... worth anything?

Comments

• Personally I think the prices on them are ridiculous especially considering how poor many of them appear vs. the originals.   30 years from now they are still going to be what they are today - "recreations".  What that means for investment potential I cannot say because, again, to me they are just reproductions that hold no personal interest.  Clearly others feel otherwise for various reasons...

General guiding principle in this hobby would be to mainly ignore any thoughts of investment potential 
  • Thanks for the advice. That's what I keep hearing, to remove any thoughts of investment potential. 
  • I think the one I got was outstanding... Worth the original purchase price.  I think they will continue to go up in value.
  • Kilian
  • djstegal said:
    Thanks for the advice. That's what I keep hearing, to remove any thoughts of investment potential. 
    Yes.  To quote my other hobby "There is money in rally.  I put it there myself"

Figure anything you collect as trash, worth nothing to anybody except yourself.  Given that, the stuff S2 recreates may be the only way to be able to hang some of these titles.  Since they are no longer produced, they may have some value to you and other collectors.  That is for you to decide.

Disclaimer:  I have a half sheet hanging of a film prints Forbidden Planet.  This particular one was commissioned by the founders of the MOPO group and some effort was taken to make it a legitimate arthouse re-release.
  • Thanks Jay. I'm still struggling to understand reasons not to approach this as an investment - but I'm learning slowly. I'm only a few months into this. 
  • Totally disagree they are mediocre quality. The colors are outstanding. See this video:

http://scottsdaleartgroup.com/lithography-video/
  • edited June 2017

Got 12 at $125 each of these for a rotating monthly 27x41 frame. The pictures speak for themselves:

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/HereComesMongo1968/slideshow/S2

The cost of the originals would be way more than a $million, so S2s being 95% as good as originals is OK with me.....