Skip to content

When nobody wants to post thread....

Comments

•  Couldn't find the Daybill vs Insert thread so please move Admins if needed. 

Wow! Was perusing one our very own advertisers ebay listings and saw this Daybill and it blew my flat file drawers off!!! 

Lackluster insert....

Flat out amazing Daybill! I had only seen US paper with a few other countries here & there, so this was a wow!

• Yes agree Mark, its a beauty. I enjoyed watching the movie too! 
  • Nice photos at Tempe. There's a similar hole in the rock at Monument Valley
  • Those were the days. Torch shining was in force, and actual theatre staff were located in the cinema to enforce and encourage annoying people from talking too loudly. The only theatre staff these days that you mainly see after entering the cinema are the staff assigned  to clean up, that are seen lurking around, patiently waiting for all the patrons to depart as the end credits roll.   

• You don't want to be in front of me on your mobile during the picture...
  • Especially during bladerunner 2049
  • edited October 2017
  • So guess who this is?

• Way too easy.  Marilyn pre fame and pre blonde
  • What Jay said..

• Here's another early Marilyn by Andre De Dienes. From NIGHT & DAY magazine, the Nov 1950 issue. They described her as "Marilyn Monroe, at the dawn of a 20th Century-Fox stardom for her performance in The Asphalt Jungle, has that refreshing charm, symbolizing our DAY cover. Born 23 years ago in Los Angeles, she isn't wed yet, but hopes to be."

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited October 2017
    Well I sure wouldn't have recognized her!

Reddit says it's her "first" model shoot (in 1946) but that doesn't seem right.

Wik says:

Modeling and first film roles (1944–1949)

Portrait of Monroe aged 20 taken at the Radioplane Munitions Factory
    Monroe photographed by Conover while working at a radioplane factory in mid 1944

In late 1944, Monroe met photographer David Conover, who had been sent by the U.S. Army Air ForcesFirst Motion Picture Unit (FMPU) to the factory to shoot morale-boosting pictures of female workers.[47] Although none of her pictures were used by the FMPU, she quit working at the factory in January 1945 and began modeling for Conover and his friends.[48][49] She moved out of her in-laws' home, defying them and her husband, and signed a contract with the Blue Book Model Agency in August 1945.[50] She began to occasionally use the name Jean Norman when working, and had her curly brunette hair straightened and dyed blonde to make her more employable.[51] Her figure was deemed more suitable for pin-up than fashion modeling, and she was featured mostly in advertisements and men's magazines.[52] According to the agency's owner, Emmeline Snively, Monroe was one of its most ambitious and hard-working models; by early 1946, she had appeared on 33 magazine covers for publications such as PageantU.S. CameraLaff, and Peek.[53]

Impressed by her success, Snively arranged a contract for Monroe with an acting agency in June 1946.[54] 

• A complex person for sure
  • Hahaha, I want that sign!
  • Hahaha, I want that sign!
    Me too.
  • edited October 2017
    I don't know why/when I registered with Pinterest but every freaking day I get two emails packed with pics of ... underdressed femmes:

Which is passing strange bc....

• edited October 2017
    I get weekly doses of Bardot in various candid shots from her younger day, what's not to love...

https://goo.gl/kxA4g1
    https://goo.gl/BsL1yC

...but also some girls on bikes!

https://goo.gl/iYSXZw
    https://goo.gl/iM6QoV
  • edited October 2017
    It's weird....I now find myself looking at EMP's auction schedule looking for "Folded non-U.S. posters from many countries".  =)
  • I used to get bushels of daybills, so I could have that auction once every six weeks or two months. Now it is more like once every three months at best/

I would do them more often, but can't. Maybe one of the top collectors or dealers will decide they would like to sell a chunk while doing zero work, and then I could have them more often.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Saw BR2 today and was pleasantly surprised lobby and halls were jam-packed with XL MPs (retros):

• Bruce said:
    I used to get bushels of daybills, so I could have that auction once every six weeks or two months. Now it is more like once every three months at best/

I would do them more often, but can't. Maybe one of the top collectors or dealers will decide they would like to sell a chunk while doing zero work, and then I could have them more often.
    Who said anything about Daybills....  ;)
  • Auctioneers were ... a little bit off on this one:

• Hmmmm written on stationery at the Imperial Hotel, one of the more luxurious hotels around...not so modest me thinks Mr Einstein.
  • Well, Bruce got some very good results on tonight's lobby card auction.  I really wanted that Swing Time card, but it eventually passed the point where I could justify it.  Ended up the underbidder.
  • 700 smackers!

• 700 smackers!

Thanks for rubbing it in :)