Skip to content

Is this a printing mistake or an actual movie daybill

Hi,

I'm helping a mate sort or his 500 or so posters he found in a shed he purchased. He has two copies of this daybill pictured and we are trying to find out if it is a printing mistake, or an actual movie.  As you can see there is no movie title, just the cowboy.  Hope I am in the correct forum.

Answers

• Bruce said:
    The "Stylized Lion" logo was mostly only used by MGM on movie posters in the late 1960s (around 1968) so I would say it likely dates from that time.
    This ''Stylized Lion'' logo was used throughout the 1970's as well, and a couple of examples follow below.

From a British Quad printed for Shaft ( 1971 ).

That's Entertainment ( 1974 ) Australian daybill.

• Thanks for everyone's help, are these rare or valuable?  I'm presuming they are fairly common.  The dates sound correct as it is from an outback drive-in that was open between the late 50's and closed in 1979 I think.
  • Randolph said:
    Thanks for everyone's help, are these rare or valuable?  I'm presuming they are fairly common.  The dates sound correct as it is from an outback drive-in that was open between the late 50's and closed in 1979 I think.
    I don't believe the poster is fairly common, but on the other hand they aren't worth much. You can currently purchase a copy in the market place for $ 20.00. It would be great to know some of the titles from the shed find that you believe are the pick of the crop.
  • HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    The "Stylized Lion" logo was mostly only used by MGM on movie posters in the late 1960s (around 1968) so I would say it likely dates from that time.
    This ''Stylized Lion'' logo was used throughout the 1970's as well, and a couple of examples follow below.

From a British Quad printed for Shaft ( 1971 ).

That's Entertainment ( 1974 ) Australian daybill.

You are completely correct. I was going on info found on Wikipedia. By simply checking the MGM one-sheets in my own database, I can see that the ''Stylized Lion'' logo was used throughout the 1970s. I need to quit reading Wikipedia as though it is always reliable, and most important of all, I need to never challenge Lawrence! My apologies.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• The likely printed between 1965-1967 stock western daybill, and a later colour printed version of the same design with the new altered MGM logo appearing on it.

Regarding your earlier apology Bruce no problems with me.  Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable place to find information, but it can be helpful at times.
  • HONDO said:
    Randolph said:
    Thanks for everyone's help, are these rare or valuable?  I'm presuming they are fairly common.  The dates sound correct as it is from an outback drive-in that was open between the late 50's and closed in 1979 I think.
    I don't believe the poster is fairly common, but on the other hand they aren't worth much. You can currently purchase a copy in the market place for $ 20.00. It would be great to know some of the titles from the shed find that you believe are the pick of the crop.
    We have sorted through the 500 or so posters and I think most are fairly common but in good condition (my opinion).  Some of the 'pick of the crop' are the Batman movie with Adam West, Thunderballs, Get Carter original, several Hammer films, several B grade horrors including the Green Slime, several old Australian films, 2001 one sheet, The Godfather (red)plus heaps of one or two coloured prints of daybills that seem to be hard to fine.  Much like the printing on the Jedda daybill I put a comment on about a year ago.

I'm sure there is an area to post the daybills so if anyone is interested I can.  My mate is the one selling them so I can pass on any information.  I have already bought the Jedda poster and an old Australian movie called Outback to put in my library,
  • Randolph said:
    HONDO said:
    Randolph said:
    We have sorted through the 500 or so posters and I think most are fairly common but in good condition (my opinion).  Some of the 'pick of the crop' are the Batman movie with Adam West, Thunderballs, Get Carter original, several Hammer films, several B grade horrors including the Green Slime, several old Australian films, 2001 one sheet, The Godfather (red)plus heaps of one or two coloured prints of daybills that seem to be hard to fine.  Much like the printing on the Jedda daybill I put a comment on about a year ago.

I'm sure there is an area to post the daybills so if anyone is interested I can.  My mate is the one selling them so I can pass on any information.  I have already bought the Jedda poster and an old Australian movie called Outback to put in my library,
    Thanks Randolph for your update. With the 2001 one sheet you mentioned, I was wondering if it is a rare original release poster or the late 1970's re-release version? I would love to see any images that you feel inclined to show us from the shed purchase.
  • I will find out for you, I'm back out there next weekend.
  • Randolph said:
    I will find out for you, I'm back out there next weekend.
    Thanks in advance.