Skip to content

Planning when to liquidate

2»

Comments

• Lots of reason to stop collecting, making sure your own death isn't one of them is the hardest part. Because as long as eggs don't bounce and steamrollers don't roll steam you can be sure the kids don't care.

• David said:
    Because as long as eggs don't bounce and steamrollers don't roll steam you can be sure the kids don't care.
    I have dealt with many heirs, and you are right. The most extreme example was when a man called and said his father worked at a movie theater in 1933, and had brought home a King Kong poster.

I asked for a picture, expecting a Portal (for the umpteenth time) but this time it was a real 1933 three-sheet!

I called him right away, told him he had the real deal, and asked if he would want to auction it.

He said, "I don't know, it is the last thing I have of my dad's, and it has a lot of sentimental value to me."

I said (the first time money had come up), "I think you will surely get at least $50,000."

He said, "Where do I send it?"

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Even at 40, I cast my eye over my collection spreadsheet and start to wonder what I'll ever do with them all! After all, having a great valuable poster is one thing, finding someone who wants to pay $500 for it (or more) is another.

I've decided to streamline things more and focus just on daybills, no more locandinas and half sheets!
  • ...oh and Bruce, if you ever want to set up shop in Australia, I'll happily send you my resume!
  • I've scaled back to around 600 posters, sold some good ones lately that I have enjoyed for years. But the time comes to pass them on for someone else to enjoy. I mean one can't have 50+ frames on the wall, so to have them sitting in a drawer or cabinet never to return to the wall seems pointless to some degree.

Saying that, my attention has shifted over time from collecting daybills to photobustas, to three sheets, one sheets. Anything that fills the void in my mind at the time. For a couple of years lobby cards was the go. But now my attention has refocused.

Being over 50 and visiting the doctor more times than I go to the Supermarket (I'm a wee bit over exaggerating)......ok a lot! Does make you think a bit more about planning the next stage of one's life.

There's always one or two posters in each category that I still seek. Seeing Wil's Longest Day quad that Mark just backed is one I'd love to have. I think that quad would just look fabulous framed.

I think the next topic of conversation should be.....Movie posters...the Next Generation.

• Matt said:
    Seeing Wil's Longest Day quad that Mark just backed is one I'd love to have. I think that quad would just look fabulous framed.

I think the next topic of conversation should be.....Movie posters...the Next Generation.

Thanks Matt, I'll be sure to add to recent hangings in the new year.

As for me, like yourself and no doubt many others on here, my focus shifts like the wind.

For years I was purely childhood late 70's to mid 80's focused, but once I'd ticket off my bucket list (plus OD'd on Star Wars) my attention shifted to my elderly father (now in the mid 80's) and the years of watching old black and whites with him (predominantly war themed titles, hence the new focus).

That said, if something out of the ordinary is offered my way, being the magpie/hoarder that I am my addiction prevents me from passing. Once the mass of blank wall space is filled I may regain my willpower and think before I say yes.

When I'm at the point of 'thinning out' (not my hair, that went decades ago), I don't forcee a huge problem shifting the 80's or SW pieces, but earlier (not major titles) hell yes! I'm 43 and can honestly say the vast majority of my similar aged friends haven't heard of the majority of mt titles or actors etc, let alone care about the posters.

No doubt as time goes on there'll come at time when even names like Clint Eastwood will draw a blank look of off the next generation.
  • i'm like the THEM poster...kill one and two take its place
  • Don't think i really have enough to liquidate....but maybe i have about 200 pieces? And even at that i'm thinking i should linenback or just sell as is most of what i have and keep the sentimental pieces (70's-80s) from my youth, or the 30's pieces. I'd like to sell of most, and keep/collect 30s, daybills & Star Wars/80s pieces. 

Most of my friends think the posters i collect are "neat" but don't have more of an interest than that. 

With two young kids, and so busy, my time now goes into linenbacking. It takes me beyond the collecting aspect i guess, certainly challenging. 
  • I'm suddenly feeling a bit hoarder-ish...I must have at least 2,000 posters!  :open_mouth:
  • Pancho said:
    I'm suddenly feeling a bit hoarder-ish...I must have at least 2,000 posters!  :open_mouth:
    I'm a similar age to you and have a similar sized collection. Sometimes I think "what on earth am I doing??". One day, I'd like to send a good chunk off to Bruce and have a much smaller collection, but at the moment, I love all of them too much. 
  • Tob said:
    One day, I'd like to send a good chunk off to Bruce and have a much smaller collection, but at the moment, I love all of them too much. 
    When the right day comes, you will know it. It might be a week from now or 10 years from now, but it comes to almost everyone. One of the phrases I am most used to hearing from long time collectors is "I bet you never thought you would hear this from me, but I am sending you my collection..."

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com