Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

David's In The Shed Find

DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,307 admin
Got a call...something like this:

She: Hi, I've got a pile of movie posters that my Dad had stored in the garage
Me: Oh yes, how many?
She: Would be hundreds and hundreds!
Me: Are they in good condition?
She: Oh yes, excellent. Dad really looked after them
Me: OK. How old would you say they are?
She: Oh very old, lots of old movie, there was a GWTW, BAT (etc etc)
Me: That's great. So how come your Dad has all these posters, was he a collector or was he in the business?
She: He was in the business, I guess he liked to keep these things.
Me: Yes they often did. So was he a projectionist or did he own the picture theatre?
She: No, he owned a VHS video store...

Image result for sigh

David

Comments

• SvenSven Member Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
  • RickRick Member Posts: 872 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    i had a similar message recently from someone in NSW, hundreds and hundreds of `old' posters (might be the same person). Too far for me to drive, but my son's band was playing nearby so i thought i may be in luck and they could load up the van and bring them home. I eventually got the guy to name some titles and take a photo...the posters will continue to rot in the tubes in his shed.
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,749 admin
    But they are original!
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 985 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I just got a phone call I have received a jillion times:

She: I have 5,000 posters
    Me: Roughly when are they from? (always my first question, because SO many answer "from the 1990s to present)
    She: The oldest one is from 1931
    Me (my interest rising): When are the others from?
    She: there are a few from the 1950s and 1960s, but most are from the 1980s and 1990s
    Me: I have a strong feeling the 1931 poster is a repro, and many of your posters might not be worth much at all
    She: I have sold quite a few on eBay. Now I am ready to have a professional sell the rest. I have done research and it is down to you and Heritage.

So she has sold anything worth anything, and now she has 5,000 leftover items too crappy for eBay? It took me a couple of minutes to get off the phone, and she sent a database of what she has. I will review it Monday, and I bet anything I will be telling her to give Heritage the honor of selling her stuff.

And this is why I have now announced that I no longer will handle rolled one-sheets from the 1990s to present that were used in a theater and have tape or tack holes. They take massive time and NO ONE wants them.

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,307 admin
    Yes that's the other classic: "I've sold all the good ones, now you can buy the rest please"
    David
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,749 admin
    Wait until you get the call from my wife... He’s got all these great titles but they all need restoration...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 985 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Charlie said:
    Wait until you get the call from my wife... He’s got all these great titles but they all need restoration...

Why not just call yourself?
      =)  :o:)
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html