Skip to content

When did Australian Daybills, One sheets and Three Sheets cease for James Bond Posters??

2»

Comments

• Remembering MAPS only started to produce and print film posters in the very late 1960's, was the MAPS employee referring to the late 1960's and the 1970's, and not the 1950's and before. when in the pre television period of time the number of Australian cinemas operating was very much higher in numbers, so more demand perhaps then for one sheets ?   
  • Perhaps so but it is still down to demand, and the numbers for economic run wouldn't change much
  • I think Matt is pretty close with 1977. The last Aussie printed three sheet may have been for Rocky. 
    I did pick up an Aus 3 sht for Jaws recently. From memory the posters sizes weren't listed on the Jaws press sheet.
    Bond should be Aussie up to Man with Golden Gun. Have never seen OHMSS though.
    M.R.

• David said:
    Perhaps so but it is still down to demand, and the numbers for economic run wouldn't change much

We will most likely never know.
  • edited November 2017
    Mark said:
    I think Matt is pretty close with 1977. The last Aussie printed three sheet may have been for Rocky. 
    I did pick up an Aus 3 sht for Jaws recently. From memory the posters sizes weren't listed on the Jaws press sheet.
    Bond should be Aussie up to Man with Golden Gun. Have never seen OHMSS though.
    M.R.

It is listed on the ''On Her Majesty's Secret Service'' Australian press sheet as having ''three sheeters'' available, so it must be super rare. I have also never seen one.
  • edited November 2017
    Just to confuse the issue, sometimes they had both Aussie & foreign. I had a UK 3sht for Godfather that was used here. They also had an Aussie printed version.
    Should probably also mention that minis exist for the later Bond films in the '90s.

BTW, where is that stupid Photobucket pic coming from?
  • HONDO said:
    David said:
    Perhaps so but it is still down to demand, and the numbers for economic run wouldn't change much

Probably, but I'm going with what a senior person who worked at the printers told me about the print runs, I can't see any reason why it would be different.
  • David said:
    HONDO said:
    David said:

Probably, but I'm going with what a senior person who worked at the printers told me about the print runs, I can't see any reason why it would be different.
    No problems with that thinking, but we will have to agree to disagree.

• HONDO said:
    David said:
    HONDO said:
    David said:

No problems with that thinking, but we will have to agree to disagree.

Your point absolutely is valid but I don't think it will stack up 100% against the historic number of picture theatres (I suspect we are both right to some degree), bear in mind the movie poster is being delivered to a theatre and the theatre is ordering posters based on whether they are showing the movie, and to order a 1SH AS WELL AS a daybill, then the movie would need to be really popular. The daybill was the poster of choice the 1SH was not.

So, it was estimated in 1928 there were 1,520 cinemas

By 1936, the estimate was 1,334 cinemas

[I am struggling to find the cinema count in the 40s - 50s, can you?]

"The year of introduction of television (1956) is usually given as the end of the heyday – a period of 45 years; but this introduction was only in Sydney and Melbourne, not really taking effect until about 1959. Country towns did not receive television until 1963-4, so a reasonable conclusion to this so-called heyday could be placed at about 1961 (on average) – that is, a period of fifty years."

The number of cinema screens rose more than 150 per cent between 1980 and 2016, from 829 to 2,121
  • I thought that back in ye oldie days, the posters travelled around with the movies from cinema to cinema
  • In the 30s and earlier, they would also send posters and heralds ahead too.
  •   David said:

[I am struggling to find the cinema count in the 40s - 50s, can you?]

I haven't access to the 1940's cinema numbers, but I do have Australian cinema statistics from  the 1950's. 1960's and the year 1970. I will see whatIi can come up with, and get back here later on. 

• Excellent
  • As I look into Australian cinema numbers, a thought has crossed my mind about the numbers of daybills that would have been printed in the various decades. My question is how large were the print runs for daybill posters in the various decades, particularly for the 1950's. 1960's and the 1970's? 
  • My buddy from The Film Centre told me the daybills arrived in lots of 2 - 3000. Also 15 - 22 copies of each film (1980s).
  • I can only tell you that the MAPS person told me that an average run was about 1500, she worked there 70s thru the 80s
  • Mark said:
    My buddy from The Film Centre told me the daybills arrived in lots of 2 - 3000. Also 15 - 22 copies of each film (1980s).
    Thanks for that. It would be interesting then to know for the 1980's the lot sizes for one sheets. The percentage of Australian printed one sheets to international one sheets would also be interesting.
  • Here are some statistics on Cinema numbers in Australia.

1954 - 1728 conventional, 45  touring  35mm circuits,88 fixed 16mm and 10 touring 16mm circuits.
    1961 - 1512 conventional, 35  touring  35mm circuits,174 fixed 16mm and 6 touring 16mm circuits,113 drive-ins.
    1970 -   976 conventional,   2  touring  35mm circuits. No 16mm information available,241 Drive-ins.
    The above numbers does not include any cinemas in the  A.C.T. and the N.T., which would increase the total numbers as well.

The point I wish to raise here, on digesting the above numbers is, if a MAPS employee stated one sheets production was around 400-500 and 150-200 for lesser known titles and MAPS only began producing one sheet posters in the very late 1960's the amounts would equate to post circa 1969. Just in the difference in conventianal cinemas alone, there were 1728 in 1954, compared to 976 in 1970.This is a massive difference of 752 less cinemas in the period MAPS were talking about with their printing runs.I find it hard to believe that in 1954 the same print runs occurred, knowing of the huge increase in the  number of cinemas operating then, as in the 1970's.
  • edited November 2017
    Select 5 - 10 films from a particular year and compare the number of dbs to 1shts on emovie results. That will give you a rough ratio.
    I'll guess 10:1 or even more in favour of dbs.
  • How have you gone with your collection Rob? any missing at all?
  • The For Your Eyes Only ( 1981 ) 3 sheet  mentioned earlier on this thread as being an Australian printed 3 sheet is I believe a U.S.A. printed poster printed for international usage outside of America with the words  ' 1 SHT. ENG. INT'L' English' PRINTED on the poster.

A word on Australian 3 sheets is that it appears the last examples printed were most likely in 1977 with Rocky being definitely one example and was a selective title to have been printed in this dying format. The printing of Australian 3 sheets it appears was being phased out earlier with the 1976 re-release of the uncut version of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, as per the Australian press sheet, being an example of not having a 3 sheet listed.

It was also mentioned earlier on this thread that 3 sheet availability was listed on an Australia press sheet printed for the 1969  James Bond On Her Majesty's Secret Service film. The poster that UA had available I believe was printed in the U.S. with the word 'For' ( Foreign ) appearing on the poster and these posters were desparched to countries outside of America.
  • I will have to follow  up with a collector who claims to have a Raiders of the Lost Ark Australian  3 sheet. Will check to make sure its not a US or International printing