Skip to content

Rick dalton posters

LI bought these off eBay. First and foremost I know they are not original. My question is are these possibly licensed reprints. Nebraska Jim measures at 24x36. The ringo gringo poster measures at 24x35 and 3/8. Operations measures 24x 50.5. Tanner is 24 48 and 1/4. 

The seller said these came direct from Sony. They all have 2019 ctmg. All right reserved and they all feel very vinyl. Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Welcome Crow. Sorry, never seen them before.

• All the four poster images are featured on the IMDB website in the'' Once Upon A Time In...Hollywood'' photos section. 
  •                                                                                                                                                                                                                      There is one Tanner poster currenty being adverised on eBay where the seller is asking #200 U.S.

• Another Tanner poster design and another different Rick Dalton  title.
  • I know the Ringo Gringo were printed to advertise the "film" at Cannes, but they were much bigger.
    i am sure a certain number were printed, esp if they were used in the movie.

As to origin etc, I dunno, can't help there ...
  • edited October 2019
    I got an update, I bought from the same seller the bigger posters, they looked legit on eBay, when I got them they seemed off, I asked if these are original or printed, he said a Sony executive authorized he could use the templates, so they are printed from the original templates. Here is the question the mailing label does say ctmg they are from Sony, but what exactly are these things? Thanks
  • Hmmm, original templates?  Not sure what that means.  As for the label, do you mean label on a tube?  Could be recycled.  If they are reprinted and not from an original run for something like the premiere, then I would think they should be classed as reproductions.  My two cents.
  • Hmmm, original templates?  Not sure what that means.  As for the label, do you mean label on a tube?  Could be recycled.  If they are reprinted and not from an original run for something like the premiere, then I would think they should be classed as reproductions.  My two cents.
    Hmmm indeed!
  • edited October 2019
    Hmmm, original templates?  Not sure what that means.  As for the label, do you mean label on a tube?  Could be recycled.  If they are reprinted and not from an original run for something like the premiere, then I would think they should be classed as reproductions.  My two cents.
    The label on the packaging says ctmg, that would stink if these are reproductions but it also wouldn’t shock me. They just keep printing them on eBay. The story I also got they are printing these after the fact. He just said templates my bad, I said original by mistake, I am new here I got it wrong, I should of said templates from Sony my bad.  
    I don’t know the lingo. I am already feeling bad for even asking now. I feel intimidated. Sorry.
  • Dont feel intimidated mate we're all a friendly bunch including Ves (theartofthemovies), shes a cool cat :)

• Hey, sorry if I put you off.  Not my intention.  So again, my apologies.  Never feel bad for asking.  Ive been collecting for nearly 20 years and I still ask questions.  It is how we learn.

What I meant was, I am not really sure what templates means?  Everything would be digital these days, so templates sounds off to me.  Perhaps you mean original images?  

I would be wary of labels on tube. We all reuse them.

Now all the above is not to say that your sellers story is not true, I have no idea.
    But if they were printed after the fact, then I would label them reproductions.

Hopefully I worded that a bit better this time round.  I would hate to put off a new collector.
  • Yes, no reason to feel intimidated at all. You did ask for help and input and I think it is reasonable to ask what the seller means by saying they are printing them off templates.

• Here you go...in the wild at Cannes.
  • edited October 2019

in the wild in Hollywood

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-posters/

great blog with nice details pics you might be able to use to compare yours

http://thenewbev.com/tarantinos-vault/nebraska-jim/

Long story short, they were definately printed, so "originals" (and I use that term loosely) must be out there.
  • Originals are indeed around, but their prices are impossible

https://filmartgallery.com/products/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-1

• The 'legit' versions seem to be the wilding versions which are pretty large (EMP sold a set recently, so measurements are on their site): 

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/ONCE%2520UPON%2520A%2520TIME%2520IN%2520HOLLYWOOD/archive.html)

Assuming this is the seller you bought yours from, it looks like they have also sold the above wildings, so your set may well be from a legitimate source:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Last-4-Studio-Posters-Once-Upon-Time-Hollywood-Rick-Dalton-2019-CTMG-/123911322720

• 110x75 said:
    Originals are indeed around, but their prices are impossible

https://filmartgallery.com/products/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-1

Exactly, I think right now they are overpriced, I know how it works though supply and demand. These prices looked reasonable.

I will add the printing on these things is amazing, troubling times ahead when they can make reproductions look this good and at the size they are 48x 72, 36x72. I could put up pics or tell you what I know what’s different about them, I will try to find peace from them somehow, I almost want to throw them in the garbage but my gut is saying don’t do that.

thank you everyone for the help, hopefully down the road someone who is in the know gets their hands on a few of these, I already alerted eBay about the seller, but I doubt anything will come of that. 
  • Don't throw them out.  If you can put them up and enjoy them.  They are beautiful images.  I considered buying some of the locandina size but I don't need more posters I am never gonna put up!
  • edited January 2020
    I absolutely love the massive Ringo / Gringo wilding art. At the same time, I really wanted to get my hands on a size that can be displayed easily. I ordered the following from eBay (probably one of the sellers listed above.) The seller told me he procured these pieces from a friend in LA who works in casting, directly with Sony... 

THE GOOD:
    The overall crispness of the finer details in my poster. The edges of the typography, are sharp as hell. The blacks are entirely rich. My piece is printed with a ‘no sale or transfer’ by Columbia-TriStar, although proportionately larger than on the wilding street art. If smaller posters were being printed as promotional extras by Sony, I could understand why the legal would be front and center.

THE BAD:
    There are cheap counterfeit editions on eBay and Etsy, sans the legal line, in odd duck sizes. Such a legal line can be added digitally. It wouldn't surprise me, if knock-offs are created from the BLT Communications jpeg's, featured in the key art gallery on their agency website...
    https://www.bltomato.com/project/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood/key-art

THE UGLY:
    Word is that the smaller sizes were printed only for the premiere, along with locations such as the Bruin, where scenes from movie were filmed. This would make them extremely rare. There was a 'Nebraska Jim' sold on eBay, with this exact sales pitch. Unlike mine, the 'Nebraska Jim' was listed as 27x41, which is a nice historical touch from the 1960's. My piece... is 27x40

My Conclusion..?

Despite the Chinese fakes online, I'm not seeing a ton of either the 27x41 or 27x40 being pawned off. I'm not sure what I have, but my gut tells me it's part of this batch mentioned earlier in the thread. The pieces that Sony cranked out, using the digital key art files.

Even if the 27x41 and 27x40 came from the same BLT Communications digital files, the ones actually used at the Cinerama Dome or Bruin Theatre, would technically be the only true "originals." (BTW, I dropped the BLT Communications jpeg into a 27x41 InDesign document. It fit perfectly. See below.)

Note the 'Ringo / Gringo' poster at the Bruin showing...

• Nice analysis...
  • 'NEBRASKA JIM' signed by QT, up for auction via the SAG Awards benefit page.

Measures 34" x 22" which would almost translate directly into an older 27" x 41" aspect ratio.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Once-Upon-a-Time-in-Hollywood-NEBRASKA-JIM-Poster-Signed-by-Quentin-Tarantino/124049674280?hash=item1ce1efd028:g:UpwAAOSwpUteINPA