Skip to content

Television Episodes Shown Theatrically In Australia Posters

2»

Comments

• HONDO said:

All above six daybills were printed for the original Australian theatrical release.

Daughter Of Mine original U.S.A. television publicity material above. The Stars Don't Shine was part of the series but a daybill image hasn't been located, but the above Australian newspaper advertisement is proof of it's release here in Australia.

The Ford Television Theatre half hour versions ( 1952 -1957 ). There were 195 episodes shown on U.S.A. television. The series was produced by Screen Gems hence Columbia Pictures handling the theatrical release.

The titles that I am aware of that obtained a theatrical release here in Australia are -

Edge Of The Law ( 1952 ) 
    Sunk ( 1952 ) 
    Emergency ( 1953 )
    The Ming Lama ( 1953 )
    Tangier Lady ( 1953 )
    Daughter Of Mine ( 1954 )
    he Stars Don't Shine ( 1955 )

To date I have located that seven titles out of the original 157 episodes of the series were released in Australia, in it appears in the later half of the 1950's. It is possible there may have been some others also released here, but due to the brevity of the running times, any records are near impossible to locate. It appears that the only way of establishing any other titles is if any other daybills or newspaper advertisements turn up that I will be able to identify titles as being part of the series. This certainly appears that this will be the only way of establishing any more titles

Margin For Fear ( 1953 ). From the above Canberra, A.C.T. 1958 newspaper advertisement this title from the series located. Does anyone have a daybill image?

• edited September 2018
    More to follow.
  • edited September 2018

Coming soon Casablanca ( sorry no Anita though ) and Ford Television Theatre.
  •                                                                                                                                 
     Australian daybill of Hand Of Fate and the only daybill image located. Screened in Australia starting in the late 1950's.

Casablanca ( originally part of Warner Bros. Presents ) was a ten part series screened 1955 / 1956. 

Apart from Hand Of Fate, Siren Song & Killer At Large were two other titles from this series that I have established were screened on supporting programmes in the early 1960's in Australia. Most likely they were both released starting earlier in the late 1950's. Records of films running well short of an hour are near impossible to locate any screening details for.                                                                          

I am uncertain if there were any other titles from the series that may have been released theatrically here as well. The following episodes Satan's Veil and Fateful Night from the series was released theatrically in the U.K., but I cannot establish if either or both obtained a release here in Australia or not.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My Friend Flicka television series consisted of 39 episodes which ran in 1955 and 1956 in the U.S.A. I am not sure how many of the episodes were screened theatrically in Australia, but the displayed images show us at least ten were. 

One more image from the My Friend Flicka television series. This brings the total to eleven now of known episodes that were shown theatricially in Australia.
  • HONDO said:

For Bruce and others the daybill images of the only four titles released theatrically in Australia.

Superman And Scotland Yard ( released in Australia in 1954 ).
    Superman Flies Again ( released in Australia in 1955 ).
    Superman In Exile ( released in Australia in 1956 ). 
    Superman's Peril ( released in Australia in 1957 ). 

Some additional information is that an Australian one sheet of Superman's Peril appeared in the Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace movie poster auction in 1995. Apart from me sighting a very small and dark image in the catalogue, I have, to the best of my knowledge, never seen an image of the one sheet for this title, or any other one sheet images of the other three Superman titles listed above.

HONDO said:

My apologies Bruce as there was a fifth Superman film released in Australia titled Superman And The Jungle Devil. I wouldn't have thought the film would have been released as late as it apparently was in Australia. I have almost all the Sydney release information from the 1950's, but unfortunately I don't have the information for the July 1 1958 to June 30 1959 releases. It would appear Superman And The Jungle Devil was released in Sydney sometime during this period. I have now managed to find that the film was shown in December 1960 at a Sydney suburban theatre and also in Canberra ACT  in January 1961. No daybill located but hopefully you will one day find your 2000 sold image to share with us. To make amends for missing this title, and through some further digging on my part, I have come up with this one sheet image from Worthpoint that I did't know existed. Interestingly it says there are three in total.

Superman And The Jungle Devil ( unknown Australian release date, but probably late 1950's ) daybill. The gorilla featured here on the daybill is absent from the Australian one sheet. Where this image originated from is unknown to me at present.

Superman And Scotland Yard Australian one sheet ( 1954 release in Australia ), Pity the poster was designed and printed by what appears to have been F. Cunninghame who were my least favoutite printers. Perhapd Bruce can confirm F. Cunninghame is definitely the printer?

I now have the five daybill images printed for the Superman compilation films that were released in Australa in the 1950's, along also with two australian one sheets. Of the three Australian Superman one sheets that are missng images of, we know that there is a poster of Superman's Peril in existance, which was sold in 1995 at Auction in Sydney.  I am looking for images of Australian one sheets for Superman's Peril, Superman In Exile and Superman Flies Again. Anyone ? If any of them turn please post the images here,

I intend to post on my Hondo's This and That thread in the future some more information on these five compilation Superman films. 
  • "Perhapd Bruce can confirm F. Cunninghame is definitely the printer?"

Matt has confirmed this to you via email. Remember that when ANYONE has a similar question, just email it directly to matt@emovieposter.com

Thanks!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Cavalcade ( 1955 ). The last daybill image that I was seeking has surfaced for the sixteen titles that were included in the  the first season of The 20th Century Fox Hour anthology television series, that was screened in the U.S.A. in 1955-1956.
     The sixteen titles that were listed previously on this thread I had earlier establshed that all of them received theatrical releases in Australia, and we now have daybills images for them all.

• HONDO said:

Australian daybill of Hand Of Fate and the only daybill image located. Screened in Australia starting in the late 1950's.

Casablanca ( originally part of Warner Bros. Presents ) was a ten part series screened 1955 / 1956. 

Apart from Hand Of Fate, Siren Song & Killer At Large were two other titles from this series that I have established were screened on supporting programmes in the early 1960's in Australia. Most likely they were both released starting earlier in the late 1950's. Records of films running well short of an hour are near impossible to locate any screening details for.                                                                          

I am uncertain if there were any other titles from the series that may have been released theatrically here as well. The following episodes Satan's Veil and Fateful Night from the series was released theatrically in the U.K., but I cannot establish if either or both obtained a release here in Australia or not.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

( X Marks The Shop ).

Killer at Large which was previously mentioned on this thread, has had the above daybill surface.

• HONDO said:
    What about the edgar wallace mysteries?  Do those ones count?
     Sorry Ves but  the 47 Edgar Wallace adapted film series, that were made by Merton Park Studios for release by Anglo Amalgamated in the U.K. and were originally made for theatrical release as second features. They were released theatrically in the U.K. between 1960-1965. They were only later shown on U.K. television under the Tales Of Edgar Wallace banner. In the U.S.A. they were shown first release in a package titled The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre. 

( Both Wil )

Two more Edgar Wallace film adaptations images from 1960-1965) to add to the previous ten daybills and two one sheets displayed earlier on this thread.
  • HONDO said:

All above six daybills were printed for the original Australian theatrical release.

Daughter Of Mine original U.S.A. television publicity material above. The Stars Don't Shine was part of the series but a daybill image hasn't been located, but the above Australian newspaper advertisement is proof of it's release here in Australia.

The Ford Television Theatre half hour versions ( 1952 -1957 ). There were 195 episodes shown on U.S.A. television. The series was produced by Screen Gems hence Columbia Pictures handling the theatrical release.

The titles that I am aware of that obtained a theatrical release here in Australia are -

Edge Of The Law ( 1952 ) 
    Sunk ( 1952 ) 
    Emergency ( 1953 )
    The Ming Lama ( 1953 )
    Tangier Lady ( 1953 )
    Daughter Of Mine ( 1954 )
    he Stars Don't Shine ( 1955 )

To date I have located that seven titles out of the original 157 episodes of the series were released in Australia, in it appears in the later half of the 1950's. It is possible there may have been some others also released here, but due to the brevity of the running times, any records are near impossible to locate. It appears that the only way of establishing any other titles is if any other daybills or newspaper advertisements turn up that I will be able to identify titles as being part of the series. This certainly appears that this will be the only way of establishing any more titles.

Australian newspaper advertisement from 1959.

One more title that was part of The Ford Television Theatre is Touch Of Spring ( 1955 ), which starred Gene Barry, Irene Dunne and Kathryn Grant.

This now makes a total of eight titles from the series that are confirmed with having had theatrical releases in Australia.  Appearing here earlier on this thread are  daybill images for six of the eight titles.The Stars Don't Shine, and now Touch Of Spring I haven't been able to locate daybill images of, so if anyone has either, or both of  them, please can we see them here ?

•  ( Television promotion )
    ( Australian daybill )

( 1954  U.S.A. Original television advertisement )

Two newly located additions and an update of known The Ford Television Theatre episodes that were released theatrically in Australia.

Edge Of The Law ( 1952 ) 
    Sunk ( 1952 ) 
    Emergency ( 1953 )
    The Ming Lama ( 1953 )
    Tangier Lady ( 1953 )
    Daughter Of Mine ( 1954 )                                                                                                                                                Turn Back The Clock ( 1954 )  NEW                                                                                                                            Sister Veronica ( 1954 ) NEW ( no daybill image available, but one has been sighted )                                                        The Stars Don't Shine (1955 ) ( no daybill image )                                                                                                              Touch Of Spring ( 1955 ) ( no daybill image )

Another earlier newspaper advertisement for Touch Of Spring from 1958.

•                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

( 1954  U.S.A. Original television advertisement )

Two newly located additions and an update of known The Ford Television Theatre episodes that were released theatrically in Australia.

Edge Of The Law ( 1952 ) 
    Sunk ( 1952 ) 
    Emergency ( 1953 )
    The Ming Lama ( 1953 )
    Tangier Lady ( 1953 )
    Daughter Of Mine ( 1954 )                                                                                                                                      Turn Back The Clock ( 1954 )  NEW                                                                                                                         Sister Veronica ( 1954 ) NEW ( no daybill image available, but one has been sighted )                                            The Stars Don't Shine (1955 ) ( no daybill image )                                                                                                  Touch Of Spring ( 1955 ) ( no daybill image )

Sister Veronica daybill photo image that was taken by me in an antique centre on a recent holiday break. First chance to make it available.

Another daybill image located  for an Edgar Wallace film  adaptation, to be added to the so far located Australian film posters printed for the series of 47 films released between 1960 and 1965 of Edgar Wallace titles.

This now makes a total of 13 daybills and 2 one sheets that images have been displayed here on this thread.

• Nine more Edgar Wallace series Australian daybills. All images except Never Back Losers appear to be recent additions to John's website. Never Back Loses I only recently discovered that I had an image of. No idea where the image  originated from and is very rare, and it doesn't seem to be able to be located on Google ar present.The image was only available in a smaller size and my enlargement has caused it to be a bit on the blurry side.  This now makes a total of 22 daybills and 2 one sheets that images have been displayed here on this thread. Interestingly 4 out of the 22 daybills, which are Never Mention Murder, Dead Man's Chest, To Have And To Hold and Return To Sender, show no mention at all of having an Edgar Wallace connection.

Of the remaining 25 titles from the series where no daybills have yet been located by me, it certainly appears that 12 films were never released theatrically here in Australia. This then leaves 13 more daybills to be found. I am optomistic that more images for the remaining missing film titles will turn up from time to time.  

• \

The Edgar Wallace theatrical films commenced screening in Australia in December 1969 under The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre series title.

The first title that was advertised to be screened was actually one of the 1960-1965 Edgar Wallace titles that had been   originally released theatrically in 1963.

Black Orchid was advertised in an Australian Women's Weekly article in 1969 as being part of the series. Strange as this film was originally released in 1953, seven years before the official Edgar Wallace series commenced being released. Black Orchid had absolutely nothing regarding it to be associated with Edgar Wallace in any shape ot form whatsover. 

U.K. poster artwork with no mention of Edgar Wallace at all,

Now to bring us up to date regarding the series television current status in Australia, During this year 9Gem, which is part of the Nine network, have been screening from time to time in the early hours of the morning Edgar Wallace titles which are  listed in 9Gem programme advertising as being part of The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre.The titles screened so far have been pristine prints each with Studio Canal logo attached at the beginning of each film.

Urge To Kill ( 1960 ) Australian daybill,

''Urge To Kill" lacks the revolving bust opening titles of the Edgar Wallace series. Also, it isn't based on anything that Wallace wrote. Despite it being listed on IMDb as the first film of the series, it was probably only retitled as "Edgar Wallace Mysteries: Urge To Kill" for the USA and wasn't part of the series at all. IMDB source information..

A  screening on 9Gem three months ago  of Urge To Kill had Edgar Wallace and his revolving bust included in the opening titles following after the Anglo Amalgamated logo. Even though not made for the original Edgar Wallace series Urge To Kill is now treated as being part of the series.

• Act of Murder ( 1964 ). Another Edgar Wallace series daybill previously mentioned on the ''Spot The poster errors'' thread  regarding the origins of this poster.

Along with four other Edgar Wallace daybills previously presented on this thread Act Of Murder also has no Edgar Wallace credit appearing on this poster.

• The previously discused here on this thread missing Australian one sheet Of Superman Flies Again.
  •   

A rare Australian one sheet of Frontier Rangers and a duotone daybill of Fury River.

There was a U.S.A. television series titled Northwest Passage. This series consisted of 26 episodes with under 30 minute running times that were screened in the U.S.A. in 1958-1959. This was an early example of a series to be filmed in colour.

Three feature films were edited together from the series.

Frontier Rangers was edited from the first three episodes of the series and released outside of America as a feature film. Released in Australia in 1959.

Mission To Danger was edited from three more episodes and released outside of America as a feature film. Released in Australia in 1960.

Fury River was edited from three episodes and also released outside of America as a feature film. Released in Australia in 1961,

• My Friend Flicka television series consisted of 39 episodes which ran in 1955 and 1956 in the U.S.A. I am not sure how many of the episodes were screened theatrically in Australia, but the displayed images show us at least ten were. 

One more image from the My Friend Flicka television series. This brings the total to eleven now of known episodes that were shown theatricially in Australia.

The above eight images of My Friend Flicka Australian daybill images that had since disappeared since being originally posted on this thread are now reinstated here, The eleven know images from the series all now all appear together above.
  • HONDO said:

A rare Australian one sheet of Frontier Rangers and a duotone daybill of Fury River.

There was a U.S.A. television series titled Northwest Passage. This series consisted of 26 episodes with under 30 minute running times that were screened in the U.S.A. in 1958-1959. This was an early example of a series to be filmed in colour.

Three feature films were edited together from the series.

Frontier Rangers was edited from the first three episodes of the series and released outside of America as a feature film. Released in Australia in 1959.

Mission Of Danger was edited from three more episodes and released outside of America as a feature film. Released in Australia in 1960.

Fury River was edited from three episodes and also released outside of America as a feature film. Released in Australia in 1961,
    I recently discovered the following extremely rare two different style Australian daybill image that were printed for  Mission Of Danger. Interestingly there are thee copies existing for the first white background  title, and one only for the black baclground version. Previously I have never sighted  any daybil limages of either version of this film.

Both images are from Trove and the posters originated from a Tasmanian theatre from the time when the film was screened there.