Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• Last one Pork Chop Hill (1959), thanks for the animal clue.
  • Matt said:
    Last one Pork Chop Hill (1959), thanks for the animal clue.

Correct for # 206. I was also going to provide the animal clue for Stalag 17 as well, but with the prompt correct answer being received it wasn't required. 

•  298 299

WARFARE AT SEA. The war at sea involvement has been neglected for sometime on this quiz, so to remedy this here are three images covering this area of World War 11. I am thinking they shouldn't prove too hard to answer, particulary # 300.
  • #300:  The enemy below (1957)

• 298 Mystery Submarine
  • jayn_j said:
    #300:  The enemy below (1957)

Correct.

298 Mystery Submarine
    Correct also. Mystery Submariine aka Decoy ( 1962 ).

Country of origin U.K. posters using the two titles. Released in the U.S.A. in 1963 as Mystery Submarine and in Australia also in 1963 as Decoy.

Clue for  the remaining unanswered # 299 is that events depicted in this movie are based on a true story.

• 299 is kinda tough.  I think it is The Valiant (1962).  The only image I could find was on this Italian site
    https://www.filmtv.it/film/143/l-affondamento-della-valiant/

I saw this ages ago on late night TV.
  • jayn_j said:
    299 is kinda tough.  I think it is The Valiant (1962).  The only image I could find was on this Italian site
    https://www.filmtv.it/film/143/l-affondamento-della-valiant/

I saw this ages ago on late night TV.
    You are correct . A little known and seen film one one would have to think at the time of it's release and even now.

''The Valiant is a 1962 British/Italian international co-production film directed by Roy Ward Baker and starring John MillsEttore Manni, Roberto Risso, Robert Shaw, and Liam Redmond. It is based on the Italian manned torpedo attack which seriously damaged the two British battleships Valiant and Queen Elizabeth and the oil tanker Sagona at the port of Alexandria in December 1941.'' ( Wikepedia ).

•  301 302 303

Another selection of different images from two wars to have a think about.
  • 303:  All the Youg Men (1960)
    I've seen a fair number of Sidney Poitier films, but never heard of this one.  It sounds intriguing.

• jayn_j said:
    303:  All the Youg Men (1960)
    I've seen a fair number of Sidney Poitier films, but never heard of this one.  It sounds intriguing.

Correct. Interesting storyline thar could have been presented much better.

The remaining unanswered 301 and 302 were big movies in their day. 
  • 301 The Longest Day (1962)
  • Matt said:
    301 The Longest Day (1962)
    Correct.

Final clue for 302 is that some controvery was involved with this film on and off the screen.

• As no one apparently is going to answer # 302, I will now reveal that the answer is Patton ( aka  Patton: Lust For Glory )  ( 1970 ).

• Figured somebody would jump on Patton.

Three more to test your skills.

• 305 is Malta Story

• 306 is Passage to Marselle (1944), a wartime Bogart film.

• Matt said:
    305 is Malta Story

Correct.

( 1953 )

jayn_j said:
    306 is Passage to Marselle (1944), a wartime Bogart film.

Correct also. Great poster image of Bogie that you supplied.

Clue for the remaining # 304 is that there was a close connection between two of the stars of the film. 

• As it appears that  # 304 isn't going to be answered, I will now reveal that the film in question is Tarawa Beachhead ( 1958 ).

My earlier clue of ''there was a close connection between two of the stars of the film'' referred to Julie Adams and Ray Danton; who were married in real life at that time.

The Battle of Tarawa took place at the Tarawa Atoll in the Gilbert Islands between November 20-23, 1943, and has been labeled one of the toughest battles fought in U.S.A. Marines Corps. history. 

As well as actual footage from the Battle of Tarawa there was also footage from the film Sands Of Iwo Jima ( 1950 ) used as well. 

•  307  308 

A new challenge and something a little different here this time.
  • 307:  Lady From Chunking (1942)

• Geez you're good Jay!
  • jayn_j said:
    307:  Lady From Chunking (1942)

Well answered Jay. Was it Anna May Wong's image that helped work it out for you?
  • Pretty much.  The artwork was definitely wartime, and asian.  That narrowed it down and then some searching.
  • Is that Peter Lorre in 308?  Can't seem to narrow that one down.

• jayn_j said:
    Is that Peter Lorre in 308?  Can't seem to narrow that one down.
    No it isn't him.

A few clues then in that the actor in question was a former matinee idol in Europe. He fled to the U.S.A. before the start of World War 11. Not you usual World War 11 setting and you need to concentrate on the attire he is wearing.

• It would appear that the answer for 308 has proved to be a little too difficult, so I will reveal  that the answer is Chetniks!  ( The Fighting Guerrillas ) ( 1943 ). Philip Dorn is the actor who appears in the posted black and white image. He played  Draza Minailovic a real life Yugoslav Army Colonel who lead his Serbian army guerrillas called Chetniks in a resistance movement against occupying Axis occupation troops during World War 11.

The real life Draza Mihailovic in 1943, and Hollywood's more glamourous looking interpretation of him, ( with the box office firmly in mind I suggest ),  as portrayed in the film by Philip Dorn.

This one is sure to challenge you.
  • actually saw this one a long time ago on late night TV.