Skip to content

Former eBay employees allegedly used cockroaches, spiders, and a gruesome mask to harass a couple

UNBELIEVABLE! 21 years ago, when I moved my auction business entirely online, I met a couple, Ina and David Steiner, who had just started a site devoted to online auctions called https://www.ecommercebytes.com/

I found (and have continued to find over the years since) that their site was one of the only online sites to provide the "straight dope" about online selling. Naturally this included much negative information about eBay, as the auction site did all they could to keep raising fees on their sellers, while adding insane regulations to being a seller. I left Bay in 2007 after 330,000 auctions there, and ecommercebytes covered my departure honestly and fairly.

NOW, this has happened, and it is something NO ONE could possibly have expected from ANY company. The couple referred to in the article below (although they are unnamed) ARE Ina and David Steiner, and I guarantee reading this will turn your stomach. :(

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

Comments

• Some people just have no morals, I hope they get what they deserve.
  • They must have copied that from Scientology. That's the sort of stuff - surveillance, harassment etc that they do to former members (and get away with!).
  • Egads. That's definitely shocking, but unfortunately not surprising. It would be interesting to know to what levels of upper management at ebay condoning and encouraging this harassing behavior extended. 

EcommerceBytes has been around since 1999, and I've never heard of 'em. Good heavens, am I ever out of touch. Sheesh.
  • Egads. That's definitely shocking, but unfortunately not surprising. It would be interesting to know to what levels of upper management at ebay condoning and encouraging this harassing behavior extended. 

The WSJ reports that eBay CEO Devin Wenig texted (about Ina Steiner) - "Take her down."

So I think we KNOW "to what levels of upper management at ebay condoning and encouraging this harassing behavior extended" :(

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• Now an in-depth New York Times story (see link below)

Inside eBay’s Cockroach Cult: The Ghastly Story of a Stalking Scandal
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/26/technology/ebay-cockroaches-stalking-scandal.html

Not only is this entire matter unbelievably disgusting on every level, but the fact that it is looking like the two biggest fish who likely masterminded it will get off scot-free is beyond belief.