Skip to content

Rockabilly's Poster Framing Exploits

Comments

• This post will not even make it into the top 20 most interesting things you read today, but it is a reminder that shopping in second hand/thrift/charity/whatever stores does pay off occasionally. We were out running some errands yesterday and popped into a couple thrift stores. As is common with most stores of this type, they usually have framed art that understandably, especially in this case, had run it's course of usefulness to the previous owner. As mentioned previously, I usually carry a small tape measure in the car in case I spot a frame I think may be of some use. The first store we popped into yesterday had a couple that were big enough that they warranted fetching said tape measure and checking out. Turns out they're both 30x40 inches, and as I mentioned in another thread, it just so happens there's a couple quads on their way across the pond. Touched by a wee bit of serendipity, I was. For the el-cheapo price of ten bucks each (and the application of some black spray paint), the quads already have homes (as long as quads are reliably 30x40 and not a crapshoot of sizes like those #$%&@ Australian posters  ;) ). 

Anyhow, once the painted frames and the car-tastic quads are joined in secular postermony, I'll post the finished products here. It'll be a life changer. I'm sure you can't wait.  ;)
  • Fantastic! Love the frame for the Banner!  I have several and have been putting it off, now to find the wall space.
  • Thanks! It seems like it's easier to find a wall that will accommodate 84-ish inches horizontally than it is to find one that will fit a 3 sheet without covering things like switches and outlets. I have another 3 sheet frame ready to go, but nowhere to put it yet. Arrrrggghh.
  • Just a quick update on the 30x40 frames. They're painted and ready to go, but I've only completed one poster project so far, as I've got a few more quads on the way and one of 'em is going in the other frame I picked up. Here's how it turned out (sorry for the poor photography). I'm hot rod happy with it.  B)

• Just a quick update on the 30x40 frames. They're painted and ready to go, but I've only completed one poster project so far, as I've got a few more quads on the way and one of 'em is going in the other frame I picked up. Here's how it turned out (sorry for the poor photography). I'm hot rod happy with it.  B)

That's a real beauty!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Thanks, Bruce. The quad for Road Devils (Hot Rod Rumble) will be the next one framed. I'll follow up here with a pic after the poster completes it's journey across the pond.
  • I can't make out the headlights on the two cars. I see them somewhere else though....
  • LOL!  :)  She must've taken a page out of Mamie Van Doren's playbook.
  • As threatened, here's the start of a comparatively (to my acquisitions thread) short update to this thread. Some of these items are recent acquisitions not previously posted, so they'll show up in both threads. That means I have the distinct pleasure of boring you twice. Ha. As with previous posts of framed stuff, I'm very sorry about the glare, reflections and generally poor photography. In no particular order:

I bought two of these as a lot, which makes me a tad nervous they've been reproed, but the size, look, feel, paper, etc seems legit, so I feel pretty safe. A spot of car racing stuff from 1921:

Non-movie stuff, but a car show poster, the date of which I just noticed is just before 9/11/01.

Staying with the non-movie stuff for a second, and keeping with the automobile theme, a half sheet-ish sized ad from 1939 for brake products:

Back into the movie stuff, in a documentary fashion anyway, with art by Reynold Brown from the cover of the July 1950 issue of Popular Science:

Some seemingly scarce lobbies I was able to get a while back:

Another car themed Mexican lobby framed up and ready to go:

These next couple aren't notable for being framed, as they're just plain frames the size of the poster. But, framed they are, so I'll post 'em here:

Pretty much the same deal with this one, but somehow it seems more significant. Probably just because it's a better title. As promised the last time I updated this thread:

Two more to go. I'd like to have an actual poster for this title, but the pressbook has the same art as the 1 sheet, so it'll be a fine placeholder for now:

Lastly, this is a movie from my high school-ish years, but I've never been particularly compelled to track down a poster for it- even the non-US posters that featured the "Ferrari". Anyhow, I ran across this one on the 'bay pretty cheaply and liked the simplicity of it. It's about window card sized and is Alamo/Mondo-ish, but I don't know where it came from originally:

Lots of glare and reflection on that one. Sorry. With maybe a handful of exceptions, that gets me caught up on posting framed stuff. I'll snap some pics of the others soon. Stay safe.

• Like the Ferris!
  • Thanks, Charlie. I’d rather have the car than the poster (pre-launching out of the garage, of course), but I’ll have to make do with the Saturn Sky for now. I’m sure it’s hundreds of thousands less to insure.  ;)
  • Wow, like Hell's Hwy.
    Dang, it's controversial , educational AND unforgettable!!!
  • BTW, how did you get all this gear framed during Covid?
  • Thanks, Matt. A year or two ago I bought one of these Logan mat cutters

which makes it pretty easy to cut the matting, which is easily sourced from the local arts and crafts store. As Mentioned previously, I buy frames I think I can use from second hand/thrift stores, as they're exponentially cheaper that way than retail priced ones or having something framed. Matter of fact, I just bought 2 frames that way yesterday and paid about eight bucks for both, I think. The Hell's Highway frame is a 27"x40" cheapo one I bought at Walmart, but the rest of those I already had waiting in the wings.
  • Love it!  Hell's Highway is AWESOME
  • Thanks, Ves. It's always interesting to see the combination between puzzlement and wonder when company visits and has a look around. Keep 'em guessing, I say.
  • Hey guys, quiet times at the watering hole, eh? Nothing super exciting here. The one wall where I normally just swap out 1 sheets just got changed more or less for Halloween. Since I don't collect any real horror to speak of, the devil/hell theme will have to suffice. The US and Danish Hot Rod Girl had been there for the past few months.

Thanks for looking!
  • Noice!  What's that thingy to the left of the posters?
  • Thanks, Ves. It's one of those faux vintage signs that seem to be popular on the websites selling home goods type stuff.

There isn't really any other music decor in there currently, but it seemed like a decent place to put it.
  • Well helloooooooo, baby! (feel free to read that to yourself in the Big Bopper's voice) Lest y'all thought I had gone quiet in the framing department, awww hell naw (as the kiddies would say). One of the last things I need around here is more framed stuff, but pet projects abound. Before committing a minute or two of your valuable time to gazing upon this drivel, feel free to return to what you were already occupied with, as there really ain't much to see here.

And as the nice man in the Frankenstein film would say, "well, we've warned you".

This one I've shown in my other thread as a window card sized print I had made, and a few days back I took the time to cut some matting and put it in a frame. An original would certainly be better and a tad less blurry up close, but in the absence of that:

As always (arrrrggggghhhh), sorry about the reflection. Moving on, when searching for stuff of this title on the 'bay, I ran across a couple newspaper ad clippings for cheap, so I thought I'd buy 'em, try and scan 'em and see if I could have a decent print made. The website's aspect ratio calculator lists sizes for the file you submit that will print correctly. For this one, I stuck to the window card-ish size and had it printed at 12x21 inches, and wedged it in a 14x22 frame:

It seemed to turn out pretty decent, and the whole exercise from ebay purchase to the print showing up in my mailbox was only a bit more than 20 bucks. As Adam Sandler might say, not too shabby.

Two more movie ephemera based print projects are somewhere in the hands of the postal service currently, so I'll be updating this space fairly soon.

You've been warned.  :)  
  • As mentioned just a few moments ago in the last episode of this riveting series (and it might be more riveting if it was about actual riveting), a couple projects that I wanted to try to see how they'd turn out. I actually found out ahead of time with the newspaper clipping print I had made, but I had an old handbill and a benton ad/pressbook-ish ordering leaflet thingy that I wanted to make more poster-like. They turned out about the size of window cards, and despite using a scanner that needed to be a bit bigger, I'm pretty pleased with the results:

Not genuine in the sense of being vintage movie ephemera, but based on originals that I have in the archives. Just more fun stuff to hang on the walls. That is, as soon as I can figure out how to get more walls.

Until next time, citizens, this is Captain I-Have-Way-Too-Much-Crap-Framed, signing off.
  • Wow, Fast Girl in Town looks almost 3D. Great print!
  • Thanks, Matt. There are only a couple decent images I could find online to use, so I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Having said that, I'm sure Ms. Lambert lurks here on VMPF, because what else would country music stars do in their spare time? I'd still prefer an original, so call me, Miranda! We need to chat. 
  • Nice creative juices flowing on your homemade window cards, Rockabilly! The size increase looks like it worked well.  Okie
  • Thanks, Okie. On the downside, they're not originals (but I do have the originals). On the upside, they'll be much easier to see on the wall than a framed 8.5x11 piece of paper. Now, where to find more walls? Hmmmmmm.  :)
  • You know, Rockabilly, to solve not enough wall space I've thought about making a poster flip rack like in the stores where you can flip through your posters vertically in sturdy sleeves.  Okie
  • Not a bad idea, Okie, but when I visualize that in a typical living space such as a living room, it doesn't seem quite right. Maybe in a home office or multi-purpose room or something. Do people still have rec-rooms? I've seen a couple youtube videos featuring these Baroque portfolios,  https://www.baroqueportfolios.com/ and they kind of seem like a massive version of the typical family photo album. You couldn't exactly sit down on the couch with aunt Martha and set one on your lap to flip through and show her your posters though.  :)
  • Things seem a bit quiet here at the watering hole currently, so maybe some content is better than none. No Metropolis 6 sheets or original Bride of Frankenstein theater used standees or anything. Just my particular kind of fluff. Anyhow, since the holiday season has changed from Halloween to a less devilish one, it was probably time to swap out the Devil Take Us and Hell's Highway posters for something else. I don't have anything seasonally appropriate, so I gave some wall time to a couple recent acquisitions. Festiveness is included at no extra charge:

And for some reason, some framed photos of our first grandchild got decommissioned temporarily from the wall, so I put some stills from Dragstrip Girl in that spot for now. Unintentionally, the matting of the separate framed pics are red and green. Sorry for the really odd angle. It was near impossible to snap a pic of them without a LOT of glare.

I suppose that's the "I had a bit too much to drink at Matt and Kim's Christmas party and ended up on the floor" point of view.

Moving on, I had a couple of those 11.75"x36" frames that seem to be pretty common just waiting in the wings. I got some of the Hot Rod Gang stills framed up (on the left) and everything went hunky dory. I managed to measure out and cut the mat correctly the first time, so I gave my tubby self a pat on the back and was pretty pleased. Since I had some measure of success, I immediately followed that up with some stills from Teen Age Thunder I had in the archives. Everything seemed to go swimmingly with that one until I put the matted photos in the frame. Once in the frame, everything looks cockeyed. I took the backing and matted photos back out, checked my work and it looked fine. I checked the frame with a cheapo square and it seems okay, but I'm thinking what might've happened is that the previous owner of the frame dropped it on one corner and tweaked it a bit. How that could happen and have the glass survive is a question I can't answer, but I'm pretty sure I have a framing corner clamp around here, and I'm going to see if I can re-square the corners. So much for used frames being economical and time-saving, eh? At any rate, here are the finished products pre-surgery of the frame on the right.

That's all the excitement that's fit to print for now. Thanks for swinging by. I hope that whatever your spiritual and social inclinations are, that you're having a pleasant holiday season so far. Fix yourself a toddy on the way out and I'll call you an Uber.  
  • Never ending walls!
  • As threatened in my other thread, here's a handful of photos to update a few of the walls in the rock-o-hovel, er, mansion. Sorry for the lighting/picture quality. Maybe instead of trying to rely on regular interior house lighting, I should get the type of light people use to illuminate stuff for video, zoom calls and the like. Anyhow that's another purchase for another time. Here's a couple Pixar related ones in the spot I usually hang 1 sheets:

Yep, the lighting for that picture sucks, but it's not as bad as the next one. I took down the framed stills and put up something slightly larger:

Allrighty. Let's move on to a newly repainted bedroom. Before you start heckling and throwing moldy produce at me, ALL of the artwork currently displayed in this room was NOT chosen by me. So there. Nyeah. I'm not sure how well panoramic shots look on the forum, but we'll kick it off with one o' those:

And here are marginally better views of those posters:

And that's it for this update. Framing projects have slowed to a crawl, and the framed posters on the walls seem to only be able to be swapped out with something of the same size, so that's frustratingly infrequent as well. Stay tuned to this channel for another exciting installment, but probably don't hold your breath whilst waiting.