Skip to content

Worst artwork

1234568»

Comments

• A bit of a lacklustre effort on this NZ daybill double bill for Slaves of the living dead & The mad doctor of blood island.

• A bit of a lacklustre effort on this NZ daybill double bill for Slaves of the living dead & The mad doctor of blood island.

I think you will find the poster wasn't designed for a double bill, but solely for The Mad Doctor Of Blood Island ( 1968 ). A cut version was passed in New Zealand by their Censorship department in September 1970. There is no record of a film titled Slaves Of The Living Dead ever being released in New Zealand or anywhere else in the World. It would appear to me that this poster is a combination of two completely different film material. 'The Slaves Of The Living Dead   Doomed To The' wording, along with the totally wrong attire the woman is wearing in the image being from an unknown titled film and the'Mad Doctor Of Blood Island' details following taking up the remainder of the poster.

• Thanks Lawrence, a bit of a poorly printed oddity then. 
  •  

Original Wide Boy ( 1952 ) F. Cunninghame designed daybill was bad enough, but a late 1950's printiing by Chromoprint has to be even worse. 

Some original similar overseas artwork the Australian poster artist would have copied from.

• Soldier Of Fortune ( 1955 ). Australian daybill and a poster used in New Zealand copying ( badly ) the two stars daybill images. 
  • Oh my we have a new contender!
  • Drugs must have been really cheap in New Zealand.
  • edited June 2019

Tales Of Terror ( 1962 ). U.S.A. artwork images, copied onto the Australian daybill. Basil Rathbone and Peter Lorre images are well done, but how did the Australian poster artist get Vincent Price's image so wrong? His  image looks to me to resemble George Nader, pictured above on the right, than Vincent Price.

Overall the poster artwork is more than acceptable, but the attempt  and failure to do Vincent Price's image justice ruins this poster for me.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Malaga ( 1954 ) ( aka Fire Over Africa ) second printing daybill and the nice original printed daybill that has surfaced from X Marks The Shop.
    Not only does the second printed daybill not feature the lovely Maureen O'Hara, but how bad is the Macdonald Carey image?

•  ( John ) ( Bruce )

The Pathfinder ( 1952 ). Compare the portion of an original full colour daybill  printed by W.E. Smith, with the latter follow up duotone daybill that was printed by F. Cunninghame. 

The George Montgomery image, which doesn't resemble him at all, is holding a rifle that doesn't have a flintlock, appears not to have a trigger and has a very crooked barrell, and does Pathfinder ( Hawkeye ) have three hands? It is the strap of course but just badly drawn. F. Cunninghame rarely managed to produce a decent duotone poster during the 1950's. The original full colour daybill artists that designed those versions weren't always up to scratch, but the duotone assigned artists were really the  bottom of the barrel poster artists.
  • Another contender!

• And another...

Original-ON-LINEN-New-Zealand-DRACULA-HAS-RISEN-FROM-THE-GRAVE-Christopher-Lee

• For some reason i could not paste the image
  • Pretty accurate!
  • Pretty accurate!
    :)
  • I personally love it

• The Gay Dog ( 1954 ). Nice original colour Australian daybill and a sub standard second printing daybill from the anonomous 'lipstick' poster artist. 

The following examples were previously covered on this thread are I believe they are to be the work the same poster artist. His/her  artwork has to be definitely the worst artwork ever produced on Australian daybills. The artist deserves an award for being allowed to produce this poor artwork over a long period of time, and not removed from his artwork role. Why the artist was allowed to be employed in this role is beyond me. He worked fast and cheap I am thinking.

Hodson's Choice ( 1954 ), Dunkirk ( 1958 ) & Malaga ( aka Fire Over Africa  ( 1954 ) Australian daybills.

The Green Scarf ( 1954 ) Australian daybill and the original British artwork design that was feebly copied by the Australian poster artist.

There are many more examples of this artist's daybill output similar in style, but thankfully too many to include here. If one cares to check back and look at all the previous seven pages, there are many more obvious and also possible examples of the product of the 'lipstick'  poster artist.
  • Sheesh....fugly doesnt quite cut it for these.
  • Congratulations and contact Guinness Book of Records. Has to be the cheapest and tattiest film poster art ever.

HONDO said:
    A bit of a lacklustre effort on this NZ daybill double bill for Slaves of the living dead & The mad doctor of blood island.

I think you will find the poster wasn't designed for a double bill, but solely for The Mad Doctor Of Blood Island ( 1968 ). A cut version was passed in New Zealand by their Censorship department in September 1970. There is no record of a film titled Slaves Of The Living Dead ever being released in New Zealand or anywhere else in the World. It would appear to me that this poster is a combination of two completely different film material. 'The Slaves Of The Living Dead   Doomed To The' wording, along with the totally wrong attire the woman is wearing in the image being from an unknown titled film and the'Mad Doctor Of Blood Island' details following taking up the remainder of the poster.

Is this a double bill poster? I am now thinking the ''SLAVES OF THE LIVING DEAD'' is just a tagline only, and this poster was printed for Mad Doctor Of Blood Island only..

An original U.S.A.  poster of the film looking nothing like the New Zealand poster artwork.
  • I think the US wins this one