Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Blake, Regent and N.S (Nathan Scheinwald) Productions

PanchoPancho Member Posts: 568 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
Hi fellow collectors!

Not sure if this would be better in the 'dating the daybill' section but I'm looking for any help people might be able to give. As I like to collect horror and exploitation titles, I find that many of the posters have either Regent, Blake of N.S Productions as their distributor. I've learned a little about Nathan Scheinwald but was wondering if anyone had knowledge about the other two distributors?

Thanks!

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited June 2015

Yes and will post some details sometime but I am curious to hear information from what anyone else may have to say first. Have had in mind for a while now to start a thread on Regent, Cemp, Cemp- Regent, Blake, Ray Films IFD. National Films Of N.S.W, Merite, Astra Films and other independent Australian film distributors but wasn't sure if there would be enough interest shown in this subject. I often start threads that immediately sink without trace so I am a little hesitant to spend too much time these days on subjects that members don't bother to show any interest in.

As you are probably aware Nathan Scheinwald was mainly a distributor of foreign language films in Australia and not known for horror and exploitation titles.

Hondo

Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,164 admin
    Never heard of them - share with one or 100, everyone is better for the knowledge!
    David
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 568 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    HONDO said:

Yes and will post some details sometime but I am curious to hear information from what anyone else may have to say first. Have had in mind for a while now to start a thread on Regent, Cemp, Cemp- Regent, Blake, Ray Films IFD. National Films Of N.S.W, Merite, Astra Films and other independent Australian film distributors but wasn't sure if there would be enough interest shown in this subject. I often start threads that immediately sink without trace so I am a little hesitant to spend too much time these days on subjects that members don't bother to show any interest in.

As you are probably aware Natan Scheinwald was mainly a distributor of foreign language films in Australia and not known for horror and exploitation titles.

Hondo

I (for one) would be very keen for any details you could share! I'd have to go through my records to check, but can tell you that N.S. Productions released such films as 'Red Nights of the Gestapo', 'The Psycho Lover', 'The Degradation of Emmanuelle' and Rene Cardona Jr's 'Cyclone' in the late 70's and early 80's. I'm only guessing, but my thoughts are that he might have ended up bringing z-grade fare into Australia before giving up the game completely. If he'd been active since the late 1930s, he must have been getting on in years by the time he was distributing these titles. BTW, Is it 'Natan' or 'Nathan'? I've seen both.
    edited June 2015

Nathan it is and I have changed the above spelling accordingly. What you mentioned is possibly correct but as this type of film and period of  the 1970s and 1980s particularly doesn't interest me. One comment I would like to make though is when I ran a film society many years ago he hired out 16mm films and somewhere I have a very thick catalogue of his which he didn't wish to send to me but finally I talked him into sending it to me. It has hundreds of American and British films and along with details on the titles each film marked with a code for the individual package it came from  for television release. I never hired anything from him as his prices were far too high including his foreign films. I mainly hired foreign films from Quality Films such as Seven Samurai and The World Of Apu from their back catalologue at very reasonable prices

Keep your interest in mind regarding my possible thread on independent distributors and I will post some details on Regent & Blake that you inquired about later on..

Hondo

Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,905 admin
    Welcome Mark! It's about time you joined in the fun. <:-P
    Matt said:
    Welcome Mark! It's about time you joined in the fun. <:-P

Thanks!
    edited June 2015
    HONDO said:

As you are probably aware Nathan Scheinwald was mainly a distributor of foreign language films in Australia and not known for horror and exploitation titles.

Hondo

Cemp - Regent...now that's a company that released some classy drive-in stuff in the 70's! Check out the daybill for 'Bummer'! I'll try to attach a couple of N.S daybills too.

One of the better Cemp posters and as I think about it  films that they released as well.

Hondo

Lawrence
    edited June 2015

HONDO said:
                                                                           Have had in mind for a while now to start a thread on Regent, Cemp, Cemp- Regent, Blake, Ray Films IFD. National Films Of N.S.W, Merite, Astra Films and other independent Australian film distributors. but wasn't sure if there would be enough interest shown in this subject.

Just found a daybill image for another independent film distributor of foreign language films I had not mentioned ( it was in the others ). The daybill is Les Belles De Nuit ( Night Beauties ) and the distributor is F.D.B.

Daybills  for F.D.B. are rare and if anyone has any examples please post them here.

Hondo

Lawrence

Another independent Australian film distributor of the late 1950's was Wide World who's product was distributed by Universal. Any images would be appreciated or at the very least the name of any film titles with Wide World printed on them.

Hondo 

Lawrence
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Was Ray Films an exclusively Aussie distributor?
    Chris
    CSM said:
    Was Ray Films an exclusively Aussie distributor?

Ray Films was a short lived  Australian film distributor of the 1950's  but had some product released in New Zealand also. I will write some more detailed information on Ray Films one day but I will leave you with this bit of advertising from Ray Films from the 50;s  stating they were '' The Biggest independent distributor in the Southern hemisphere'', Any questions on anything to do with their product let me know?

Hondo

Lawrence

One more small distributor of foreign language films in Australia was Robert Kapferer.

Hondo 

Lawrence
    Where does Seven Keys fit into the discussion?

Seven Keys is a later independent Australian film distributor than those  I have been referring to on the thread.Seven Keys was formed in 1969.Other distributors from this later period include Filmways, Cinecenta and others. 

Hondo

Lawrence
    I've come across a daybill released by Esquire films. The poster is for a film of the *ahem* Adult persuasion, so I'm guessing that this may have been their forte? It's not a company I'm familiar with.
    edited August 2015
    Also picked up another daybill from N.S Productions; an Italian erotic, Giallo (sort of) film. Beautiful title - a riff from a Percy Shelley poem about death:

"How wonderful is Death?
    Death and his brother Sleep!
    One, pale as yonder waning moon
    With lips of lurid blue..."

Pancho do you have any daybills printed by Anjohn International? If you do have titles would you please let me know the titles or better still post the images.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Pancho do you have any daybills printed by Anjohn International? If you do have titles would you please let me know the titles or better still post the images.

It's not a company that instantly comes to mind - what sorts of films did they release?
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Genocide was passed for public exhibition on 35mm on  01/06/ 1983  and the following year passed for Videotape release on 25/9/1984.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Have a  look at my previous thread called ''Daybill Posters Printed For 16mm release'' and you will also see three daybill images of their product.
    Lawrence
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Wow look at that tagline!
    Chris
    Found this on EMP:

If all Anjohn daybills are like the examples on this thread thus far then I don't believe I have any.

Worth revisiting to see if there is any more information forthcoming on Blake, Regent and NS.
    Blake films in the 1960s released a large volume of feature films in Australia but a fairly large percentage of daybill images have failed to surface so far on Google.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Blake films in the 1960s released a large volume of feature films in Australia but a fairly large percentage of daybill images have failed to surface so far on Google.

After further research it appears the vast majority  of Blake Films released in the 1960s have no images available to view on Google or elsewhere. Blake Films theatrical film releases in Australia in the 1960s was up their with the major distributors in total numbers of films released.
    Lawrence
    From my limited knowledge a lot of the Blake releases are films that are unlikely to have seen wide release or have been shown for any length of time.

But, gee whiz, they're my kinda company

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,164 admin
    It's a popular poster
    David
    Couple more N.S. Productions daybills:

An interesting point about Nathan Scheinwald released films from the 1950s and 1960s is they were classic foreign language films from around the world of which I haven't located any Australian daybills, one sheets or three sheets for. 

Only when Mr. Scheinwald apparently had to switch to sexploitation titles to survive in the distribution business in the 1970s did Australian posters under the N.S.productions banner seem to happen and only seem to appear in limited quantities.

Lawrence
    In 1983 Palace Films was started as a home video distributor between Roadshow, Blake Films and a private investor Antony Veccola.
    Lawrence