Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

American International Pictures ( AIP ) Slow Start In Australia.

HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
American International Pictures was formed in the U.S.A. in April, 1954 as American Releasing Corporation but within a short amount of time had a name change to American International Pictures. A surprising amount  of the films released under the two names from 1954 to 1969  were not released in Australia, Some were banned from exhibition here but a lot appears were not picked up for distribution in Australia from a variety of distributors.. Film distributors that handled the 1950s & 1960s output in Australia included Ray Films, IFD,  MGM, Columbia, Blake, Paramount & Roadshow. Some of the 1960s titles that were banned were finally released in the late 1960s with the majority in the early 1970s.
Lawrence

Comments

  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    A lot of my favourite exploitation and horror paper is thanks to AIP!
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited August 2015

    I will attempt to list all  American Releasing Corp. / AIP titles films released between 1954 and 1959 in the U.S.A. soon and their Australian release status. 

    Probably later than sooner.

    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

    Changed my mind about listing all the titles of films released by American Releasing Corporation  ( ARC ) then American International Pictures ( AIP ) in the U.S.A. between 1954 and 1959. The reason for this change of heart is there were over 76 films involved here and at a rough guess only about 27% of the total films received a theatrical release in Australia. Of the remaining titles, roughly 73%, there were titles from the U.K. particularly from Anglo Amalgamated who owned the Australian distribution rights and a number of foreign films that AIP only owned the U.S. distribution rights to which I estimate to be around 13%. This makes a total of 40% leaving 60% of eligible films that could have been screened here  that were never screened theatrically some of which could have been banned or just not picked up for Australian distribution. I believe none of the remaining films were banned in Australia or possibly  only a few. From my select list of Australian banned films AIP titles only seemed to have started to be banned in Australia around 1960 when AIP started to produce and release films of a higher standard made in colour with a much higher budget and running time than the previous low budget mediocre double bill drive-In aimed black and white films that had been the bulk of their releases to date. Allied Artists low budget titles of similar quality appear on the banned list but not even one AIP title until 1960 which reinforces to me that nobody was interested in the AIP product to any extent until 1960, or if they were possibly interested in some of the horror titles they didn't bother to try to acquire them as they perhaps thought they would be banned anyway if submitted to the Commonwealth film censor who hated horror films. Apart from the horror and science fiction films AIP's other 1950s product was of any box office potential so distributors wouldn't have been stampeding to get to sign any contracts for the type of product available from AIP.

    Of the around 27% of AIP product mentioned above they consisted mainly of war, westerns & sword and sandal films.I will get around to listing the titles of all the AIP released films and their Australian distributors at some point of time.    

    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    HONDO said:

    I will attempt to list all  American Releasing Corp. / AIP titles films released between 1954 and 1959 in the U.S.A. soon and their Australian release status. 

    Probably later than sooner.

    Due to a query on another thread by Sven regarding AIP  the above is still a possibility at some stage

    Lawrence
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

                                                                                                                                                                                       

    Films released by American Releasing Corporation ( ARC ) between 1954 and 1956 in the U.S.A. This was prior to the name being changed to American International Films ( AIP ) in 1956.


    The Fast And The Furious ( 1954 ). Released in Australia by Ray Films in 1956.

    Five Guns West ( 1955 ). Released in Australia by Ray Films in 1956.

    Outlaw Treasure ( 1955 ). Released in Australia by Ray Films in 1957. 

    The Beast With A Million Eyes ( 1955 ). Not released in Australia.

    Apache Woman ( 1955 ). Released in Australia by Ray Films in 1956. 

    The Phantom From 10,000 Leagues ( 1955 ). Not released in Australia.

    Day The World Ended ( 1955 ). Not released in Australia.

    Operation Burma ( 1955 ) ( Original U. K. 1953 release ). British documentary film that ARC acquired U.S. rights for and released in an edited version ). Not released in Australia.

    The Oklahoma Woman ( 1956 ). Not released in Australia.

    Female Jungle ( 1956 ). Released in Australia by Ray Films in 1956. 

    Gunslinger ( 1956 ). Released in Australia by MGM in 1960.


    A list of the films released in the U.S.A. during the remainder of 1956 through to 1959 under the American International Pictures ( AIP ) name I have in mind to list but are well  down in the queue at present of my things to do.



    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

    American International Films ( AIP ) name change takes place later on in 1956.


    The !956 released in the U.S.A. AIP films are as follows.


    It Conquered The World. Not released in Australia.

    Girls in Prison. Not released in Australia.  

    Hot Rod Girl. Not released in Australia.

    The She Creature. Not released in Australia. 

    Flesh and the Spur. Released in Australia by MGM in 1960.

    Runaway Daughters. Not released in Australia. 

    Shake, Rattle and Rock!. Released in Australia by Ray Films in 1957.

    1957 releases to follow.
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

    1957 American International Pictures ( AIP ) U.S.A. releases., consisting of 21 films.

    The Astounding She-Monster, Naked Paradise, Not Of This Earth, Attack Of The Crab Monsters, Voodoo Woman, Dragstrip Girl, Rock All Night, The Undead, I Was A Teenage Werewolf, Invasion Of The Saucer Men, Reform School Girl, Motorcycle Gang, The Amazing Colossal Man, Sorority Girl, I Was A Teenage Frankenstein, Blood Of Dracula & The Saga Of The Viking Women And Their Voyage To The Waters Of The Great Sea Serpent. None of these 17 listed AIP  films were released theatrically in Australia. 

    Naked Africa was a documentary that AIP acquired the U.S.A. screening rights for.  9 years later in 1966 the film was released in Australia by Columbia Pictures. What is unknown is if the film was sourced from AIP, or from another film distributor. I can only find that outside of the U.S.A. the original release under this title was in Australia.

    The remaining 3 films  AIP had the U.S.A. rights but not the Australian rights for are as follows.

    Rock Around The World. A British Anglo Amalgamated film released with the original The Tommy Steele Story title in Australia in 1957 by BEF.

    The White Huntress. A British Associated British Pathe film released in Australia with the original title Golden Ivory in 1957 by Ray Films.

    Cat Girl. A British Anglo Amalgamated film that was most likely submitted to the Australian censor by BEF, but banned here on horror grounds.
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

    1958 American International Pictures ( AIP ) U.S.A. releases, consisting of  22 films.

    15 AIP FILMS WERE NOT RELEASED THEATRICALLY IN AUSTRALIA; THE 15 TITLES CONSISTED OF -

    THE SCREAMING SKULL, TERROR FROM THE YEAR 5000, THE COOL AND THE CRAZY, DRAGSTRIP RIOT, ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE. HIGH SCHOOL HELLCATS, HOT ROD GANG, HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER, WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST, HELL SQUAD, TEENAGE CAVE MAN, NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST, SHE GODS OF SHARK REEF, THE BRAIN EATERS & EARTH VS, THE SPIDER. OF THESE 15 TITLES I AM AWARE THAT WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST WAS PASSED FOR EXHIBITION IN NEW ZEALAND.

    7 only AIP films received theatrical releases in Australia, with the titles, year of release and distributor being as follows -

    SUBMARINE SEAHAWK MGM 1961 

    THE BONNIE PARKER STORY RAY FILMS circa 1959

    MACHINE GUN KELLY  RAY FILMS circa 1959

    JET ATTACK COLUMBIA 1965

    TANK BATTALION  COLUMBIA 1966

    SUICIDE BATTALION COLUMBIA  Circa 1966

    DADDY-O  COLUMBIA Circa 1966

    Lawrence
Sign In or Register to comment.

This Vintage Movie Poster Forum is powered by some old cinema posters, the flame retardant properties of a Top Gun Daybill, and a
British Quad which has been folded just the right amount of times and shoved under one of the corners to stop the place from wobbling.