Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What Happened To The Australian Daybills?

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Thanks to Ves and any other parties involved for the daybill image of Night And The City. Extremely rare and very nice and well worth the wait. My only comment in comparing the insert to the daybill is the lack of credits on the daybill compared to the U.S.insert. For whatever reason 20th Century Fox Australia, over many decades, for whatever reasons, were very economical with the use of wording on their daybill posters and other posters.
    Lawrence
    edited March 2017
    What next ? More film noir / crime, musicals, horror , Marilyn or a giant ape film that had the ape make a personal appearance by train to promote the film ? Let me know ?
    Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 906 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    More film noir/crime please - if just so I can express my frustration some more
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Hahahahahaha!  They should have their own thread!  Seem to be so many of them ;)

Hahahahahaha!  They should have their own thread!  Seem to be so many of them ;)
    Absolutely!  For example, off the top of my head and very quickly, never seen images of any of these 'non-obscure' titles: Third Man (original release), Night of the Hunter (banned?), White Heat (wtf), Kiss Me Deadly (already covered), Brute Force (wtf x2), High Sierra (original release), Treasure of the Sierra Madre (OK yes not a noir), This Gun For Hire (wtf x3)...etc etc
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Seeing Chris got in first and it seems backed up by Ves, a combination of Film Noir / crime / thriller / mystery and drama titles it will be from the 1940's and 1950's. Some titles will follow soon.
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Surely you have seen a this gun for hire db????

Ta DA! This Gun For Hire daybill - you asked for it.

I have seen it before but one cannot get enough of a good thing.
    Lawrence

Two very nice U.S. inserts of Trial ( 1955 ) and White Heat ( 1949 ), that I would love to see Australian daybill images of.

Lawrence
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

Here is a noir which I don't believe has been seen before.  A&C printers.

Sven said:

I would like to see it as well.
    Lawrence

Ta DA! This Gun For Hire daybill - you asked for it.

Ahhh of course.  My memory is terrible sometimes.  Pretty sure I even know who had a copy for sale a couple years ago.  Certainly don't mind seeing it again (there's an understatement!).  

Thanks Ves.
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

HONDO said:
    Sven said:

I would like to see it as well. If the image is no longer available just the name of the film will do.

Lawrence

Thanks Sven. A rare interesting poster that I will mention on another thread at some point of time.

Lawrence

The Beast With Five Fingers ( 1946 ). Original U.S. insert and a 1948 Australian newspaper advertisement for the film's release. Just one of countless films where Australian daybills are hard to find.

Lawrence

Australian newspaper advertisement.

The Strange Death Of Adolph Hitler ( Universal 1943 ). Another missing Australian daybill for this title, most likely from W.E.Smith. Does anyone have one ?

Lawrence

The Big Blockade ( 1942) U.K. country of origin quad poster appearing above and two newspaper advertisements from the Australian release by BEF in 1942.

Where is the Australian daybill, which was most likely printed by W.E.Smith?  Usually W.E.Smith / BEF daybills from this period were of a high standard, so it would be great if one turned up.

Lawrence
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,815 admin
    Agreed. If the B/W advertisement is any indication, it'd be sweet!

Question....I'm guessing Pressbooks were not issued in Australia to promote advertising of films?
    edited August 2017

Question....I'm guessing Pressbooks were not issued in Australia to promote advertising of films?

Pressbooks were certainly produced and distributed in Australia, but up to the 1940s at least, are extremely rare. On Bruce's site there are 19.534 U.S. pressbooks listed but only 58 are from Australia.

Lawrence

Here we go Mark, the front and back image of an Australian press sheet ( pressbook ) for one of the forum's favourites The Hour Before the Dawn from 1944.

Lawrence
    HONDO said:

Here we go Mark, the front and back image of an Australian press sheet ( pressbook ) for one of the forum's favourites The Hour Before the Dawn from 1944.

Sigh
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 814 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Lawrence. have you seen any elaborate Australian press sheets? I don't think I have (although I should have first looked at my own auction history, so I wouldn't look stupid if I auctioned one!).
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Poor Chris :(
    Coming up on a year to the day soon enough... :(

But happily it also means the little guy is going to be 1!

-Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Bruce said:
    Lawrence. have you seen any elaborate Australian press sheets? I don't think I have (although I should have first looked at my own auction history, so I wouldn't look stupid if I auctioned one!).
    As far as I can see the answer is no. We appeared to be just a poor cousin to the U.S.A. in this area. Please correct me if I am incorrect and examples of elaborate Australian press sheets do exist?
    Lawrence
    edited August 2017
    HONDO said:

Pressbooks were certainly produced and distributed in Australia, but up to the 1940s at least, are extremely rare. On Bruce's site there are 19.534 U.S. pressbooks listed but only 58 are from Australia.

It wouldn't have mattered if a BEF press sheet had been found for The Big Blockade, as it appears BEF didn't picture poster images only add blocks, at that period time.  Only a few of the major distributors, including Paramount, pictured poster images, as seen earlier in The Hour Before The Dawn press sheet. Notice on the following Australian press sheet from BEF, add blocks are pictured but posters are only mentioned in print under the ''Accessories available for Flying Tigers'' heading.

Daybill image.

Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 814 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    As far as I can see the answer is no. We appeared to be just a poor cousin to the U.S.A. in this area. Please correct me if I am incorrect and examples of elaborate Australian press sheets do exist?
    In this way, they seem very close to English pressbooks. Very little color, if any, not many pages. But there ARE  a few exceptional English pressbooks, and I was hoping someone had seen a few Australian ones. Maybe one of the experts will weigh in.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html