Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What Happened To The Australian Daybills?

12345679»

Comments

• JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Here is another image …

John

• SvenSven Member Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Nice! Looks to be the same copy that was sold at auction given similar stain patterns (my image)?
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited October 31

Swing Time ( 1936 ). U.S.A. poster and the Norman McMurray original Australian daybill artwork.  An Australian Simmons full colour RKO long daybill image would look great. 

The Most Dangerous Game ( 1932 ). Original U.S. one sheet and an Australian film advertisement from Everyones. Another missing Simmons RKO long daybill hopefully still existing for this title. 

Two uncredited daybill images that I recently came across. I worked out the daybill image on the left is for the film Confession ( 1937 ). You will see the image is very similar to the U.S.A. insert pictured above.The image on the right remains unknown though. The Kay Francis daybill  should look excellent in colour.

The Big Parade ( 1925 ) promotion outside a Bundaberg, Qld, cinema ca. 1928. Certainly looks like a couple of
    Australian daybills on display for this classic film.  

Had these completed and sitting in the  draft folder awaiting to send  for some time now. It now appears the right time to include them here so I have room to thank both Sven and John for the Strategic Air Command Daybill images. I have always had a feeling an image would one day surface, and now lo and behold we have.

Lawrence
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 844 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Very nice Sven, however to be honest the image of the bomber and jet trails isn't the most imaginative one they could have gone with.
    Wil

Swing Time and Shall We Dance daybill images. What about images of the other seven RKO and the one MGM films the great team made together ? Does anyone have any daybill images, in any form, of these eight missing films?
    Lawrence
  • darolodarolo Member Posts: 26 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    I know of two daybills surfacing for Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The one below was for sale by a U.S. dealer a few years back.

darolo said:
    I know of two daybills surfacing for Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The one below was for sale by a U.S. dealer a few years back.

Brilliant. A long time coming but finally here. Thanks for posting.
    Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Thanks for sharing.  Great to see it finally
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,120 admin
    HONDO said:

Swing Time ( 1936 ). U.S.A. poster and the Norman McMurray original Australian daybill artwork.  An Australian Simmons full colour RKO long daybill image would look great. 

The Most Dangerous Game ( 1932 ). Original U.S. one sheet and an Australian film advertisement from Everyones. Another missing Simmons RKO long daybill hopefully still existing for this title. 

Two uncredited daybill images that I recently came across. I worked out the daybill image on the left is for the film Confession ( 1937 ). You will see the image is very similar to the U.S.A. insert pictured above.The image on the right remains unknown though. The Kay Francis daybill  should look excellent in colour.

The Big Parade ( 1925 ) promotion outside a Bundaberg, Qld, cinema ca. 1928. Certainly looks like a couple of
    Australian daybills on display for this classic film.  

Had these completed and sitting in the  draft folder awaiting to send  for some time now. It now appears the right time to include them here so I have room to thank both Sven and John for the Strategic Air Command Daybill images. I have always had a feeling an image would one day surface, and now lo and behold we have.

Nice!
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Finally had a chance to watch the excellent (!) Rififi - 1955 Jules Dassin. Was it ever released in Australia?  
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Finally had a chance to watch the excellent (!) Rififi - 1955 Jules Dassin. Was it ever released in Australia?  
    Yes this classic French film was released in Australia in 1956 by foreign film importer Robert Kapferer Productions.

Also released in 1956 by Robert Kapferer Productions was another French classic The Fiends which I thoroughly recommend seeking out.

Robert Kapferer releases were mainly screened in Sydney and Melbourne, although Canberra, ACT and Newcastle N.S.W. did screen some of Kapferer's product.

As I have never sighted a daybill for any of the numerous releases Kapferer released in Australia in the 1940's onwards, I am tending to think daybills were not possibly produced for their product.

Lawrence
    Thanks Lawrence much appreciated!
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Fire Down Below  ( 1957 ) Australian one sheet and daybill. The one sheet image has been viewable for many years, but an image of the daybill I have never sighted until now. A rare Rita Hayworth daybill has finally turned up on Bruce's site as part of a lot of 28 folded Australian daybills. I thought I would share the image with any Rita Hayworth fans out there.

Lawrence