Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

No Sex In New Zealand

HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

For New Zealanders,                                                        For Australians.

Lawrence

Comments

• PanchoPancho Member Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Flawless editing too - I'd have never noticed if you didn't draw my attention to it!
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,307 admin
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited July 2018

Room At The Top 1959. For New Zealanders ambition was fine but certainly not lust, but in Australia you could have both.

Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,307 admin
    No lust in 1959? Not quite sure my soon-to-be pregnant mother would agree with that statement...
    David

Australian daybill of Poor Cow ( 1967 ) and how the daybill ended up being presented in New Zealand,

Rather than repeat all the information details on this title, it can be located on the thread 'Snipes'.

Simon-King Of the Witches ( 1971 ). Original  U.S.A. one sheet film poster and the same censored one sheet as used in New Zealand when the film was released there. The U.S. censorship rating understandably was crossed out but the N.Z. censor objected to ''The ceremonial sex"' wording which was also removed from the poster.

The Australian daybill  issued after the film was passed for public exhibition in Australia in 1974. The Australian censor apparently didn't object to the original U.S. wording. 

What I am starting to believe is that Australia had a major problem with horror violence depicted on film posters, but in New Zealand it was sex related images and wording that they mainly censored on imported film posters.
    Lawrence
    edited May 11
    HONDO said:

Room At The Top 1959. For New Zealanders ambition was fine but certainly not lust, but in Australia you could have both.

Another copy of the Australian printed for New Zealand distribution daybill. Interestingly here though the words 'lust and' were no censored. Someome in New Zealand didn't do their job then?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Planet Of The Apes ( 1968 ). Original Australian first release daybill and the same daybill design aimed for New Zealand usage, minus the Australian censorship rating. The original wording of ''forced to mate'' removed in New Zealand.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(
    The Rough And The Smooth ( 1959 ) ( aka Portrait Of A Sinner in the U.S.A. ). Due to their track record I am very surprised that none of the taglines on the above film poster were censosed by the New Zealand censor when the film was screened there. 

The Last Shot You Hear ( 1969 ). Original U.S.A. insert poster and a daybill used in New Zealand. The word sex a no-no. so replaced by hate.
    Lawrence
  • rockabilly777rockabilly777 Member, The Framer Posts: 465 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    *note to self* scratch travel plans to New Zealand. Apparently they've taken both the old and the new zeal out of it.

Cool ongoing thread, Lawrence - thanks!

Good call on the absence of lust in '59, David. I'm glad you're here in spite of it.  :)

Thanks for the compliement Rock and stating that  you are enjoying this thread. 

What I have found is that New Zealand censors banned more films on sex grounds than Australia ever did. and the posters from outside sources that they censored were mainly altered on images and wording regarding sex and realistic violence.

Horror films and posters didn't seem a problem with them. Horror films appeared to have been passed without any problems after cuts, and their associated posters appeared untouched by removals of any images or wording.  
    Lawrence

Something For Everyone ( 1970 ). An Australian daybill printed for New Zealand distribution, without the Australian censorhip or distributor's details, along with an Australian one sheet.

I wasn't able to locate a printed for Australian usage daybill to compare, but I would be certain the tagline '' The butler did it... to everyone!'' is wording that would have been originally printed on the censored in New Zealand daybill, that has been covered over in black. Those N.Z. censors were tough.
    Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Thanks John for posting the original Australian daybill image.

As I had thought it was the wording ''The butler did it...  to everyone!'' that was removed, Interestingly on the New Zealand version the wording THE BUTLER HAD ''something for everyone' was added to the poster to replace it.
    Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    gee NZ was a but shy back in the day