Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

House Of Frankenstein

HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

House Of Frankenstein ( 1944 ).

Looking at all the U.S. paper including the insert image I have displayed along with the Australian newspaper advertisement which is similar, one wonders the reason why Universal  produced the Australian daybill in a design so different. Of interest the actors' credits on the U.S. insert are in exactly the same order as the Australian newspaper advertisement whereas the billing order is in a different sequence on the daybill plus Elena Verdugo appearing on the U.S. insert and Australian newspaper advertisement  has been replaced by George Zucco on the Australian daybill. This then had me thinking is the daybill perhaps a re-release poster from the very early 1950s but immediately ruled this out as the Universal logo is the correct one for the release date in Australia at the time and this along with the appropriate horror censorship rating certainly makes the poster original release. Further confirmation for being so is that within a year or so the new Universal International identification started to appear on Australian posters so a re-release poster would show Universal International on it. 

Lawrence

Comments

• RickRick Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    i think the US design might win here, but I'm sure the Aussie colours are better
  • papergathererpapergatherer Member Posts: 74 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    edited June 2016
    Unfortunately, the daybill has a MAJOR error in the artwork. The blue/white image of the Monster carrying the damsel is actually from Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man. 

Why it was added to this movie's daybill is anyone's guess.

The man in the Monster garb is Lugosi's stunt double, Gil Perkins, who is carrying actress Ilona Massey, the maiden in distress, from FMTWM.

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

The Goulburn Empire black and white newspaper advertisement I originally posted at the start of this thread for House Of Frankenstein was the same style artwork that appeared on the original U.S. 24 sheet.

Lawrence
    Ive often looked for a pressbook image of the various (larger) US advertising materials that were made for the original release but never come across an image of the 24 sheet.

Do you have an image of it, by chance? And if not, how did you learn or determine that the above advert was the same style art as that used on the US24sh?

Ive often looked for a pressbook image of the various (larger) US advertising materials that were made for the original release but never come across an image of the 24 sheet.

Do you have an image of it, by chance? And if not, how did you learn or determine that the above advert was the same style art as that used on the US24sh?

Will reply shortly.
    Lawrence
    I am shortly going to download a new thread titled '' House Of Frankenstein Daybill Major Problems ... Plus Others''. Before I do though, any new thoughts on what they could be on House Of Frankenstein
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    I am shortly going to download a new thread titled '' House Of Frankenstein Daybill Major Problems ... Plus Others''. Before I do though, any new thoughts on what they could be on House Of Frankenstein
    I believe I pointed out the most obvious and "agregious" (aka lazy) problem on this daybill--in that an image from a prior Universal movie (Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man) was used to "pump up" this later (and more weak) installment of the Frank film franchise, one year later.
    edited June 2016
    HONDO said:
    I believe I pointed out the most obvious and "agregious" (aka lazy) problem on this daybill--in that an image from a prior Universal movie (Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man) was used to "pump up" this later (and more weak) installment of the Frank film franchise, one year later.

You did but I also did say ''any new thoughts?''.  I am not talking obvious slight alteration I am talking huge.
    Lawrence
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I think it was me that pointed that out, also the main image is of Lon from Ghost of Frankenstein..
    It's more than a Hobby...
    edited June 2016
    No offense Hondo, but i would hardly call slipping in an image from a completely different film on this daybill, a "slight alteration." And since it wasn't mentioned here on the forum, I was assuming it was overlooked, altogether.

Paul said:
    I think it was me that pointed that out, also the main image is of Lon from Ghost of Frankenstein..

It was you Paul but I am just finding out about you mentioning  The Ghost Of Frankenstein mistake on the Uni. Horror Daybill thread that I must have missed at the time and have just looked up.  I discovered this information  ( along with other material ) myself and didn't know you had previously mentioned it on the forum. So The Ghost Of Frankenstein discovery credit  belongs to you. I better send off my new thread I am thinking. Look for it a few minutes.
    Lawrence
    In my defence I never commented on Uni. Horror Daybill thread. Just posting off new thread in one minute.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:

Will reply shortly.

Go into eMovieposter.co. site and search for House Of Frankenstein. Look up pressbooks and you will find one sold 12 / 10 / 2015 with a green background cover which will show you an image of the 24 sheet. Sorry I couldn't manage to download it here otherwise I would have done it myself.
    Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,210 admin
    HONDO said:
     Sorry I couldn't manage to download it here otherwise I would have done it myself.
    Don't download, hotlink.

David
    Thanks for that David.
    Lawrence
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I am unfortunately a Universal Horror anorak.... :s  
    It's more than a Hobby...
    Thanks for the PB image Hondo. I overlooked it on EMP when i did my first search.
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I didn't know where to put this as we have a few threads discussing House of Frankenstein and Aussie Universal Horror.  Anyways we have all seen the daybill but I had never come across the one sheet.  Someone posted it an image on Facebook and I grabbed a copy:

-Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Nice. I haven't see this poster image before, so thanks for posting it Chris.
    Lawrence
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Nice to know it exists. Makes you wonder about all the other Aussie paper out there that most of us have not seen because it's held close to a collector for whatever reason. Thanks Chris!
    The ''A Horror Film Suitable Only for Adults'' Australian censorship classification that appears on the poster is the first time I have sighted this rating on any posters other than the  eight Australian daybills I had mentioned previously on "'Hondo's Daybill Q & A ( Re-Titled )'' thread, that carry this rating. 
    Lawrence