Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Lots of old stuff

Visit Moviemem

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

STOLEN POSTERS - PLEASE READ

CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
The following three linenbacked and freshly restored posters were stolen during transit through either the USPS or Canada Post mail service between August 15-22, 2016.  I would greatly appreciate contact via private message or e-mail or even a forum post should you believe you have been offered the posters or spotted them for sale/auction in the future.  Again, I am indebted to anyone who may be able to assist in their recovery:

There's a street of lights
A long dark night
Restaurant scenes
And dark machines...

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Is there anything specific with the two US posters in terms of resto  we can look for?

As you say, the Aussie will stick out like a sore thumb...fingers crossed.
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 9,717 admin
    Now shared to multiple Facebook groups
    David
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Is there anything specific with the two US posters in terms of resto  we can look for?

As you say, the Aussie will stick out like a sore thumb...fingers crossed.
    I had thought of that Ves but I think it will be too difficult to spot as the restoration was thorough.  Now if they were still in their unrestored state that would be another matter altogether as you could pick out obvious areas of uniqueness.  If only there had been a large missing piece that could more easily be detected etc.  I do have photos of them unrestored but that probably will not help in spotting them.

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

David said:
    Now shared to multiple Facebook groups
    Thanks David - appreciate it.  Cannot hurt to get the word out as wide as possible...
    A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Fair enough.  Eyes and ears open. 

Actually I just thought of something.

Let's say the Before Dawn aussie pops up on ebay.

If we alert the mothaplucka he/she will just go to ground and make it harder for Chris to get his posters back...

If I see it, and BUY it, and get it sent to me...can I then claim it back via paypal?  Just wondering...

What happened with the other lot of stolen posters that were recovered?

Take screenshot as proof. Send to Chris with appropriate links, Chris tells police.
    David
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Last set of stolen posters changed hands a couple of times before appearing on bay. Ebay paypal and police no help. Hopefully the bay or dealer seller that might get them  are reasonable like the last and hand them over. It was around 2 to 3 weeks i recall  from theft to the bay. Very good chance they will surface soon unless postal worker is a collector which i doubt.
  • MirosaeMirosae Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    That's awful Chris. Very sorry. Will keep an eye. I assume you will go to the police? The carrier should also take some action. I remember a similar case in the UK  where someone in the postal service was stealing bank letters. This case needs to be reported to the police.

Rosa -
    Love some paper
  • ItalianBogieItalianBogie Member Posts: 6 ✭ Mexican Lobby Card
    Hello everybody, this is Paolo from Italy.

I had 5 linenbacked posters stolen in the same way at the end of May. 

They were coming back to me in Italy from US (after the restoration) and the courier delivered me...and empty tube. 

the stolen posters were : Gilda 4foglio (style B) by Capitani, Key Largo 4foglio by Martinati, The Good the Bad and the Ugly 4foglio (second release), Europe 51 2foglio (Ingrid Bergman close up) and and Italian comedy 4foglio (Totò 47 morto che parla). You can see the images attached here....of course any help would be appreciated. 

I decided to post this now because a friend of mine sent me the link with Chris's bad news....So this is kind of scary and we should try to understand if the 2 episodes are related in some way....feel free to contact me 

thanks

Paolo

Y

Beautiful posters Paolo, such terrible news - I shall do a follow up post to Facebook and elsewhere and I am sure all collectors will all keep an eye out.
    David
    For the record Paolo and I are in contact and there are certain similarities at least on the surface...
    A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

edited August 2016
    For the record Paolo and I are in contact and there are certain similarities at least on the surface...
    Interesting. Same location therefore same transporter? One for the police?

Well the poster collector community has shared this amongst themselves, the number of FB shares continues to increase (see the share count under the first post). Logically, the more people know...it is smallish hobby.
    David
  • MirosaeMirosae Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Those are beautiful posters Paolo, and hopefully you will get them back. Wonder if there are other cases out there....
    Rosa -
    Love some paper
    Sorry to hear that Paolo they are gorgeous posters

May i ask.who the carrier was (USPS/Italian Post or UPS Fedex?

Would you say they were declared at high or low value ( to darios point of raising curiosity)?

Will keep a look out.

edited August 2016
    I am actually curious, are they via the same restorer, ergo the same carrier?

Definitely one for the police if so.
    Post edited by David on
    David
    Yes good point re same courier and restorer..im curious too

If it is the same restorer in the US then you know that the theft would have happened state side and not Canada/Italy side.

Getting closer...so then it would be someone whom the restorer regularly deals with, as they would be familiar with what the guy is sending off, so not so random now.

Same restorer and I reckon you are looking for the guy/gal he turns them over to or the one set of hands after that.

Beyond that it would be to too random.

Hopefully your restorer is being helpful and pushing this from his side.

The carrier should also be able to check scan events. As the package moves through the cube scanner my understanding is weight is also recorded, so perhaps they can identify when the discrepancy in weight occurred (at least the sorting facility)
    Sven said:
    The carrier should also be able to check scan events. As the package moves through the cube scanner my understanding is weight is also recorded, so perhaps they can identify when the discrepancy in weight occurred (at least the sorting facility)

Exactly...but as it now most likely happened state side, the guys really need their restorer...assuming it is the same one, to be on the carrier to investigate...
    Sven said:

Exactly...but as it now most likely happened state side, the guys really need their restorer...assuming it is the same one, to be on the carrier to investigate...

Yep start from the start. So does the restorer request Pick Ups from the carrier and who is that regular person, or do they drop off to the local facility.
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,755 admin
    Who is the restorer???!
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • ItalianBogieItalianBogie Member Posts: 6 ✭ Mexican Lobby Card
    Hi there and thanks for your kind comments! 

In my case (and after a personal and not easy investigation) I can tell you that the posters disappeared in Italy, right after the customs : at least this is what the customs records in Milan say. The package was full (the weight matches) when cleared customs. So I really don't know what to say...they could have slipped out of the tube (it arrived at the customs damaged - again as records say - and got taped back by them) but after more than 2 months....where are they? how can you not find a #$*^%*! 10 kg roll of 5 backed posters with a size of more than 1 meter???? I've been waiting for some news and I've been calling many times those damn call centers of the Italian Post Office but still now news. 
    So, yes, the restorer we used was the same but I really don't know if the 2 episodes are related....without any doubts we are facing a very weird coincidence...at least. 
    Only thing I can do is trying to suit the post office for the real value of the posters (no I did not declare the full value...but then I was not obliged: it wasn't a purchase but my stuff coming back!) 
    Let me know if you have any news or ideas....thanks