Skip to content

New Members, Please Introduce Yourself!

Comments

• Thanks Paul, Yes he did indeed, aside from fond memories of watching the usual WW2 B&W Mills/Moore/Hawkins etc. mandatory titles, the ones that really racked up viewings into double figures would have to of been the David Lean classics and the later 'Battle of Britain' and 'A Bridge Too Far' (hence the Paratrooper connection) then again I now recall us watching an Alan Ladd Paratrooper themed film called what I believe was 'the Red Beret'? It may have been called something different elsewhere.

That said though, he also got me into anything with Clint Eastwood in and on a lighter note I don't think there was any 'Carry On' film that I don't recall us sharing a laugh over. Then again I'm sure everyone over a certain age can recount Barbara Windsors bra flying off during her workout scene in 'Carry on Camping' or the kilt lifting scene in 'Carry on up the Kyber'?  :)
  • Clint Eastwood? Cue Matt...
  • Welcome Wil! --sounds like some good collecting history behind your passion. Look forward to seeing some of your paper. 
  • Lots of Clint fans here Wil. I'm also a big Mills fan as well. Especially all the war films he made. We Dive at Dawn and Above Us the Waves are two of my favs.
  • Matt said:
    Lots of Clint fans here Wil. I'm also a big Mills fan as well. Especially all the war films he made. We Dive at Dawn and Above Us the Waves are two of my favs.
    Thanks Matt, Above us the Waves certainly had some good artwork, aside from the one sheet multi portrait shot inside the midget sub, the Quads and Bills had a great shot of John. 
  • On a separate note, on some threads I've been able to post images as I was given the option to paste a URL or upload a file, however other threads only allow the URL option, am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
  • It is our preference you hotlink the images (URL) - we three wise admin would rather not spend all our money on the hosting of the images when hotlinking is perfectly reasonable....when we get as big as Google or FB then we won't care, until then the extra cash is reserved for poster buying.
  • No problem, thanks David. 
  • Matt said:
    Lots of Clint fans here Wil. I'm also a big Mills fan as well. Especially all the war films he made. We Dive at Dawn and Above Us the Waves are two of my favs.
    Thanks Matt, Above us the Waves certainly had some good artwork, aside from the one sheet multi portrait shot inside the midget sub, the Quads and Bills had a great shot of John. 

Yeah, your right. The British gear for Mills is better than the Aussie stuff. That's why I picked up that one sheet multi portrait style last year. Great Image. Best artwork for the title.

Haven't seen a Quad for that one just the English half sheet. You have an image for that?

• Hi Matt, Just trying to work out the hot link route to post images, the URL box isn't liking my code. Will try some other options tomorrow. 
  • Yeah, no worries Wil.

If you use imageshack, I just copy and paste my photo I chose which is easy for me. Other options, I have trouble too.

The other two knuckle heads, namely David and Charlie know more about posting pics than me.

• 3rd attempt. 
  • Final go before bedtime. 
  • Trying your suggestion Matt of cutting/pasting the imageshack image directly into the URL box. 
  • edited January 2017
    Directly into the post/leave a comment box.
  • I think I'll just stick with written comments going forward  B)
  • Don't worry, we'll work it out Wil!
  • Your link cleaned up...

Uploaded to try it using photobucket:

I don't use imageshack so not sure how it works I am afraid :(

• Not sure why the image is so small in the first instance.

Oh and gorgeous poster.  GORGEOUS.

• Nice work Ves!!!
  • Great  =) I'll give Photobucket a go. Thanks for your help guys. 

• That is nice!
  • Just joined this site.  I've collected silent posters for about three years now -- primarily early window cards.   Because I can't afford everything I like, am thinking of specializing in window cards of presumed lost films, especially cards with great graphics.  To house them, I purchased a  premium "flip" rack out of England that holds 50 cards, that I am very happy with.  

As her first job as a teenager, my late grandmother worked in a theatre in a small town in Northwestern Ohio from 1927-30. Among other duties, she distributed window cards around town.  Her favorite stars were Clara Bow and Mary Pickford.  She bore a strong resemblance to Pickford, probably why I value my one Pickford card above all others. 

I've had other collecting interests over the years -- ancient coins, political campaign memorabilia, etc.   Am enjoying poster collecting more than every previous area.  Are there any collectors in the Fort Worth - Dallas  Texas area?
  • Welcome!  Silent era films, very nice.  Can't wait to see some of your posters. 
  • edited February 2017
    Welcome dl! Some great images and stars of the silent era! Hope you can post some of your paper soon!
  • Great story!  Welcome and can't wait for you to share more...
  • Oh and I'm from Houston but I am a Cowboys fan...
  • Welcome and nice story.

Look forward to reading and seeing more, and share a pic of that 'flip' rack too, curious now
  • Welcome and looking forward to seeing what you have! WC are great. Yessir :)