Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Movie adaptations better than the book?

theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Saw this article today:

Haven't seen or read (or in some cases both) the movie or books of all listed, but can't say I agree about The Godfather.

Anyone else have something to add?

• jayn_jjayn_j Member Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I disagree with many of these.  The writer of that piece often confuses visual effects with good writing.

Things like The Little Mermaid.  How can a fluffed up and inoffensive Disney adaption be better than the tale of sacrifice that hans Christian Anderson penned?

I will admit that Princess Bride was very well done as a film, but I think the book was slightly better because it did a better job of building the relationship between the boy and his Grandfather.

One movie that I felt was much better than the book was M*A*S*H.  Altman took a lightweight book and turned it into a powerful statement on Vietnam.  I saw the movie while in the military.  When I left the theater, I turned the car north toward Canada.  It took about a half hour for the guys in my car to convince me to turn back.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,111 admin
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Scroll to the bottom and select "more articles"  It is now scrolling off
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,111 admin
    I must admit I've not read any of the books mentioned but I'd struggle to find a movie that is better than the book (in the ones I have read). At best they are good interpretations but if it's a good book then my imagination has already played the scenes and characters in a slightly different way.
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,058 admin
    So book first or movie first?  Or a unique twist... I read Girl on a Train after knowing whom would be playing Rachel - Emily Blunt.  I read the whole book imagining Emily as the Character before I saw the film.

If I've watched the movie first, the book just gives me more information and I get to highlight what wasn't in the film.  If I read the book first, the movie never lives up to the imaginary world I created as I read the book.  I am then watching the movie in conflict between my interpretation and the film.

Ultimately,  I think it is hard to make this judgement because you are already biased either way.
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...  | MPW on Facebook
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Charlie makes a good point. So many times I have read a book and had a "picture" of the lead, and then seen the movie and the person they cast is not at all like who I imagined!

I got a lucky break with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Somehow I had missed reading the book when the film came out, and I saw the movie first. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but the movie withholds important information until halfway in, whereas it is revealed in the book right away, and it was a wonderful moment in the movie for anyone who had not read the book first.

And if you haven't seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, I highly recommend it!
    We ( hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here:
  • MirosaeMirosae Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    The Name of the Rose. Absolutely perfect film in any possible way.  The book is alright. Not that keen on the author 
    Rosa -
    Love some paper