Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Lots of old stuff

Visit Moviemem

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

Modern Star Wars Titles, are there any reproductions??

HDTMONAROHDTMONARO Member Posts: 4 ✭ Mexican Lobby Card
Hi, I am relatively new to Movie Poster collecting and am a little sceptical on purchasing unless I am convinced something is not potentially a "repo" or unlicensed copy.  

I am just wondering, are there many fakes out there of modern titles such as Rogue One, The Force awakens, The Last Jedi as well as The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones & Revenge of the Sith.

If so, is there any reference site I can look to to determine what may not be an original Poster of the above Titles.  I am aware truckloads of fakes exist of the first three Movies of the 70's & 80's.  I may only collect Australian Daybill's and one sheets of the first three movies as I have been informed there are no known fakes or copies of these posters, and I reside in Melbourne Australia.  

Any advice anyone can give in relation to the above would be greatly appreciated, or can a reputable dealer be recommended to me that has titles such as the above that are legitimate and at reasonable prices.

Thanks for your time.  Cheers  ROB

Comments

• DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 9,505 admin
    edited July 31
    Hello and welcome Rob

I am not aware of Aussie paper being copied/repro'd. I would thought there would little point, the collecting market for Aussie paper is so small it seems hardly worth it. As an aside, when it comes to double sided posters, they would be expensive and difficult to reproduce and I doubt anyone here has heard of a DS poster being repro'd anywhere in the world

As to reputable (Aussie) dealers - I don't think I have heard of any scallywags Aussie dealers, it's a small, almost community-like hobby world, I suspect most dealers get on well with other dealers too - if there were any bad ones they would be well known.  There are a few unsavory ones around the world however, some on eBay so be warned - people like Loce and Bradburied come to mind

But bad Aussie dealers? Naaaaa!

As to 'reasonable' prices - that is subjective. You have to remember it's supply and demand, prices are dictated by both, and often you have to make the call, do want it now at the price being asked or will you wait for [months-weeks-ever] to get it at the price you want to pay? Some members argue to wait it out, others who aren't prepared to risk missing out or paying even more at a later date (me, I'm the former: pay now love it a long time).  =)

Post edited by David on
    David
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

If you stick to reputable dealers/sellers, you can't wrong.

Feel free to ask here about the people you want to buy from and we can let you know if there is any cause for alarm.

• HDTMONAROHDTMONARO Member Posts: 4 ✭ Mexican Lobby Card
    Thanks very much for your replies, I appreciate your guidance.  I may be required to purchase some posters in the U.S. due to lack of supply here in Australia. 

Can anyone please clarify whether I should be wary of any modern Star Wars Reproductions, or do they simply not exist due the the fact these posters are not very valuable.

Cheers  ROB 
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

Hi Rob,

I am not aware nor have heard of any specific reproductions of star wars posters...but I don't really follow Star Wars stuff so not high up on my radar.

I understand some of the new titles are already commanding several hundreds of dollars...so anything that has money involved seems to attract reproductions. 

Some good guys in the US and the UK to buy from for sure...not sure if any of them are currently selling this title.

ddilts399

tcalposters

Some UK sellers to keep an eye too:

favouritefilm

bingo210

Thanks very much for the advice, I appreciate it.  Cheers  ROB

• TobTob Member Posts: 11 ✭ Mexican Lobby Card
    I don't remember hearing about any reprints/bootlegs from Phantom Menace onwards. I think if you stick to Double Sided (where available) and correct measurements, you should be fine. 
    Thanks Tob.  Is there a site I can refer to for correct measurements just to be on the safe side??  Cheers  ROB.
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member Posts: 331 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    nominal measurements for episodes 1-3 are 27x40 inches.  Try for double sided as there were a few dealers selling inexpensive single sided inkjet prints.  They are fairly easy to spot in person.

Movieposters.com sells both originals and reprints.  However they are usually clearly marked.  Here is an example, and this one can turn up in the secondary market as original
    http://www.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-13388/Star_Wars_Episode_III_Revenge_Of_The_Sith.html
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • TobTob Member Posts: 11 ✭ Mexican Lobby Card
    Agree with Jay's post. 

This site has a decent record of a lot of SW posters (can't vouch for accuracy, but I'm sure it's pretty good): 
    https://www.starwarsmovieposter.com/

http://theforce.net/

More information here than you can shake a light saber at...

(notice how I threw in a Star Wars metaphor even tho' I have never seen any of the movies, get it? huh huh?? never mind...)

David
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    David said:

(notice how I threw in a Star Wars metaphor even tho' I have never seen any of the movies, get it? huh huh?? never mind...)

I got it Dave! I chuckled a bit knowing you haven't seen any of the movies. I'm still not going to ask why, because it's kinda cool to say I know of someone who hasn't seen any of those movies....
    Mark
    David said:

I got it Dave! I chuckled a bit knowing you haven't seen any of the movies. I'm still not going to ask why, because it's kinda cool to say I know of someone who hasn't seen any of those movies....
    hahaha...

Never appealed. I like Bladerunner when it first came out when everyone didn't...now everyone does. You know what they say

David
    Bladerunner....? Whach you talkin' about?

Never seen it....have heard of course really good things, but kinda embarrassed to say.....
    Mark
    Really?

I thought everyone had seen it...so thar ya go!
    David
    David said:
    Really?

I thought everyone had seen it...so thar ya go!
     =) 
    Mark