Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Something A Little Different In Advertising For Some Classic Films

HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Film poster advertising of any kind has always been hard to find for the original release of The Third Man in Australia.The above daybill image recently surfaced courtesy of Heritage Auctions and is the only poster of this film for the first release that I have ever seen. I just recently  found the above Australian newspaper advertisement published for a screening of the film in 1950 and was impressed by the different film noir look about it and different from any artwork I have ever seen anywhere.

'The Ghost Of Frankenstein' ( 1942 ). Apart from the error in the leaving out of the word 'The' in the title of the film on the daybill, people have often remarked on the appearance of the monster on the daybill being a little odd. A member on this forum once said ''The monster looks a little bit like an overweight Elvis, who is wearing a black turtleneck sweater''. In the above centre Australian newspaper advertisement from 1942 the monster looks like what he should look like and the different tagline 'You Can't Keep A Good Monster Down' is great as well. The advertisement on the right hand side is from another venue in another state, that was also published in 1942. This one using a variation of the 'New thrills' tagline used on the daybill.

Lawrence

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Mmmmmmm...Third Man daybill.  If only my wallet was heavier - sigh-
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited August 2017

Mr. Wong In Chinatown ( 1939 ). The Australian newspaper advertising at the top was partly copied from the two  U.S. images appearing just above, with the exception of the two gangsters image that just seems to have been added for dramatic effect. The Australian daybill has just Marjorie Reynolds image copied from U.S. artwork and the rest of the poster having Boris Karloff wearing glasses and five oriental men appearing at the very top of the poster.

Lawrence
      Daybill.
    Genevieve ( 1953 ). A different approach applied to advertising the film in an advertisement which appeared in a Perth W.A. newspaper when released there in 1954.
    Lawrence

'The Ghost Of Frankenstein' ( 1942 ). Apart from the error in the leaving out of the word 'The' in the title of the film on the daybill, people have often remarked on the appearance of the monster on the daybill being a little odd. A member on this forum once said ''The monster looks a little bit like an overweight Elvis, who is wearing a black turtleneck sweater''. In the above centre Australian newspaper advertisement from 1942 the monster looks like what he should look like and the different tagline 'You Can't Keep A Good Monster Down' is great as well. The advertisement on the right hand side is from another venue in another state, that was also published in 1942. This one using a variation of the 'New thrills' tagline used on the daybill.

Another 1942 Australian newspaper advertisement with Bela Lugosi, missing from the previous newspaper advertisements, now featured with a nice image on this one. I love these old newspaper advertisements and I am hoping others do as well.

Lawrence
    edited July 23

I, The Jury ( 1953 ),  Pickup On South Street ( 1953 ) and  Somewhere In The Night ( 1946 ) Australian daybills along with Australian newspaper advertisements. 

I have had this one completed and sitting in the draughts folder for some time so thought it is time to reveal it now.

I kinda like the three newspaper ads best of all. Anyone agree?
    Lawrence
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Agree with the first 2. Somewhere in the night daybill looks better though
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Yep agree, not sure why the daybills needed to be a little less va-va-voom shall we say...
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    110x75 said:
    Agree with the first 2. Somewhere in the night daybill looks better though
    It sure does 👊
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

edited July 31

Midnight ( 1934 ). Pre fame Bogie film, where he was billed only 8th,  but his image featured prominently in the above  U.S.A. advertising, and also on the similar looking  Australian newspaper advertising.
    Lawrence
     U.S. avertisement from the first release.
     Australian newspaper ad placed in 1953.

A rare example here with The Maze ( 1953 ), where original material ( slightly altered ) U.S. artwork was used in Australian newspaper advertising in Australia in the 1950's. Creating our own artwork in Australia was the norm, but in this rare instance they decided to go with u.s. artwork for whatever reason..
    Lawrence
    edited August 8

The grittier U.S.A. artwork produced for Pickup ( 1951 ) posters.

-  

Similar U.S. artwork used in this Australian 1952 advertisement. For the original Australian daybill the Beverly Michaels depiction, in my eyes anyway, isn't as effective.  

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Murder, My Sweet ( 1944 ). Australian daybill and the U.S.A. insert poster peoduced for the first release.

A newspaper placed advertisement for January 1946 Australian screenings in Adelaide S.A.

Anne Shirley's face is the only thing similar used on the three image items displayed above.

All great effective advertising in their own presentations.
    Lawrence
    edited August 22

Niagara ( 1953 ).  The original U.S.A. insert poster, an Australian newspaper advertisement from 1953 and the original  Australian daybill. 

Another case here of 20th Century Fox Australia / W.E. Smith coming up with a barebones poster version, by just using the smaller image of Marilyn appearing at the top of the U.S. insert and using very little else. On saying that the daybill image is very effective though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Company She Keeps ( 1951 ). An original U.S. insert poster and a U.K. quad using a similat design. Other U.S.  posters, including the one sheet and the 3 sheets also used this design. 

In Australia though a completlely different approach to advertising the film as seen above in an Australian newspaper advertisement from 1951 and the very impressive Australian Simmons daybill.

Lawrence