Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Buy Liberty Bonds And War Savings Certificates Mystery

HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

''What's Buzzin' Cousin ?'' ( 1943 ) Australian One sheet. This poster was printed for the Australian release that took place in 1944. What I find interesting is the " Buy Liberty Bonds And War Savings Certificates'' line at the bottom. As this was applicable to the U.S.A., why is it appearing on the Australian poster? This wording  doesn't appear on the Australian daybill, and as far as I can see on any other U.S. posters printed for this film, or does it appear on any other U.S. film poster whatsoever from World War 1, as well as any Australian posters. The only thing I can think of is that in the film Ann Miller and chorus girls appear to dance a patriotic number, with a backdrop of a curtain, with a  large poster attached with the words '' For Victory Buy United States Defense Bonds Stamps''. Was this a possible reason, but is so, why place it on an Australian one sheet ?

Lawrence

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    David said:
    Because you could buy Liberty Bonds in Australia

http://john.curtin.edu.au/education/tlf/R3273/00376130_image/index.html

Yes, they certainly were sold in Australia during World War 11. A typo I made earlier regarding World War 1, should have been World War 11. My original query had been why was the ''Buy Liberty Bonds And War Savings Certificates'' line printed on an Australian one sheet for an obviously patriotic American film. It doesn't appear on the daybill of the film and I had thought this wording hadn't appeared on any other Australian poster titles. I have now checked into this matter further and although very few Australian one sheets are to be found, I managed to find the following ''My Kingdom For A Cook'' ( 1943 ) one sheet image, which was also a Columbia Picture, with the same wording.

It is interesting that often something is there for one and all to see that isn't noticed.

Lawrence

A little more information on World War 11 Australian War bonds film poster advertising. It appears prior to the ''Buy Liberty Bonds And War Savings Certificates'' request, it was the above ''Lend To Defend -- Buy War Savings Certificates'' that was applied. I located three titles with this wording and they are ''The Man In Her Life'' ( 1941 ), ''It's A Great Life'' ( 1943 ) and ''One Dangerous Night'' ( 1943 ). I think the interesting thing here is that all the five film titles with the two different styles of war bond advertising were all from Columbia Pictures. One could ask the question then of - was all the war bond advertising on film posters only applied by Columbia Pictures ?

Lawrence

The Talk Of The Town ( 1942 ) is another Columbia Pictures "" Lend To Defend --- Buy War Savings Certificates'' poster.

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

April 9th 1943 Launceston, Tasmania newspaper advertising for the 3rd liberty loan.

Lawrence

As not to leave our American friends out of things, I thought I would share this great U.S. promotion for war bonds featuring Donna Drake

This is great U.S. poster featuring Hollywood actors.

A more conservative Australian poster.

Lawrence

After Midnight with Boston Blackie ( 1943 ). Another Columbia pictures ''Lend To Defend - Buy War Savings Certificates'' Australian World War 11 one sheet film poster. Along with ''Buy Liberty Bonds And War Savings Certificates'' appearing on a couple of their other Australian one sheet posters, this style of promotion appears unique to Columbia Pictures in having been used here in Australia during World War 11.

And a couple more from Columbia pictures -

One Dangerous Night ( 1943 ).

Here Comes Mr. Jordan ( 1941 ). An April 1942 release in Australia. 

Lawrence