Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Lots of old stuff

Visit Moviemem

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

Antony Ginnane daybills

PanchoPancho Member Posts: 501 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
Hello!

I was enjoying 'Snapshot' on blu ray last night and I started thinking about my Ozploitation daybills - specifically the ones where Tony Ginnane was involved.

I have daybills for 'Patrick', 'Snapshot', 'Thirst', 'Harlequin', 'Turkey Shoot' and 'Dead Kids' but I don't have one for 'The Survivor' from 1981. I don't believe I've ever seen one.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this one?

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Can't say I've seen one for The Survivor, but then not my thing so not sure I would have taken much notice...I'll keep my peepers open!
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

The question here is did it receive a theatrical releasing Australia or not ? No newspaper confirmation, but little availability to records in this area is available for this period of time, and no Australian film posters sighted. If a theatrical release happened it most likely would have been a limited one.

IMDB states the film received a theatrical release by GUO in Australia on 9 / 7 /1981.

A have read an earlier report that the film was shot as a telemovie. The film was shot in 2.23.1 so why do that it if it was to be a telemovie?

Received some overseas theatrical releases.

The Survivor ( 1981 ) appeared on television as early as 25 / 7 /1982  here in Australia.

According to Wikipedia ''$350,000 of the budget was invested by the South Australian Film Corporation, with a similar amount coming from English investors. The rest came from Greater Union, a TV sale and private investment.''

I remember sighting in person this Belgian poster and thinking it was a nice design.

Lawrence
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 501 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    I saw an interview with Tony where he did comment that films like 'Patrick' and 'Snapshot' were far better received overseas than locally - but surely you wouldn't skip a theatrical release locally altogether?
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 501 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    This link: http://www.ozmovies.com.au/movie/survivor tells us that although it was a flop, it certainly was released in Australian cinemas.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    I must point out I never said it hadn't received an Australian theatrical release, and I had only posed a question. I also mentioned that IMDB states that it did receive an Australian theatrical release. My mention of, if it had received an Australian release it would have been a limited one, appears to be supported by the mention in the Ozmovie attachment of - '' Barely landed before it crashed and burned on it's Australian theatrical release''. Twelve months after it was released it was playing on television. An obscure film, so good luck Pancho in locating a copy of the daybill. I will certainly keep a eye out and will let you know if I hear or one coming up in the marketplace.
    Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    i've never seen a Survivor daybill.