Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Did you know that there was a program in 1918 (during World War) I to recycle U.S. movie magazines?

BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 846 ✭✭✭ Daybiller

Did you know that there was a program in 1918 (during World War) I to recycle U.S. movie magazines to "our boys" overseas?

eMoviePoster.com has been auctioning a great collection of movie magazines from the 1910s and 1920s, and we noticed something very cool about several of the ones from 1918 (starting a few months after the U.S. entered World Was I).

On those magazines (several of the most popular titles of that time), there is a cool notice in a tiny rectangle on the front cover that says (the wording, size, and placement varies slightly from magazine to magazine):

"Notice to Reader: When you finish reading this magazine, place a one cent stamp on this notice, hand same to any postal employee and it will be placed in the hands of our soldiers or sailors at the front. NO WRAPPING - NO ADDRESS. A.S. Burleson, Postmaster General."

What a great program this was that they ran back during World War I. I bet it made the lives of lonely servicemen overseas far nicer. And I bet you were thinking that "recycling" did not start until the 1960s!

Here is a magazine that has this notice.

And here is a closeup of that notice:

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Comments