Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

ANY IDEAS

beekay1943beekay1943 Member Posts: 3 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
I am trying to date a local photo of Aberdeen, Scotland in which a local cinema is depicted in the background.  The film being shown is advertised on a large poster above the entrance but the quality of the image is not clear enough to read the film title.  The image has been enhanced as much as possible and I was hoping that some film buff might recognise the poster from the layout and put a name to the film, thereby giving an approximate date of the photo.  I know it's a long shot but it's worth a try.

Comments

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,132 admin
    Our resident expert Lawrence will surely be able to take a look.  Just check back here over the next couple of days...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    It looks to be a six-sheet size...but is it UK or US paper?

The portrait of the woman on the left side looks so incredibly familiar and it is driving me crazy I cannot place it!  I blew way too much time looking through Bruce's archives without success - is it Greer Garson, Greta Garbo, Ingrid Bergman, Hedy Lamarr?!   For some reason am envisioning a smaller poster (one sheet or daybill) with a mainly pink background with that portrait on it...grrrrrr :|

Are there any other details in the photo - like a vehicle parked on the street?
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,760 admin
    The Picture House in Aberdeen was renamed the Gaumont in 1950. So definitely 1940s.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    O.k. here are my thoughts.

I don't believe the image is of a film poster for an individual film.There is no wording whatsoever shown and I think the enclosed section on the wall is a permanent montage of scenes of films attached to the wall, including a scene of Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind similar to the one as shown below. Possibly Greer Garson and Marilyn Monroe appear also, but I cannot be sure. There is a young girl, appearing to be cuddling a white dog on the bottom right hand side, that I am wondering if it could possibly be Elizabeth Taylor? It appears to me that with with the large amount of remaining blank brick wall this was either an ongoing project to cover the whole encased area, or an abandoned one, when this photograph was taken. It will be very difficult, if I am correct. to accurately date this image.

Lawrence
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,760 admin
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited February 3
    It looks more like a UK 24 sheet, and if it's 1930's/early 40's chances are it don't exist now, not even an image. I'm sure there is writing on it, so definitely a large film poster.
    It's more than a Hobby...
    Yes on looking again looks much larger than a six sheet. I believe the bottom says "All Next Week" just like the example Matt posted
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,112 admin
    Can you post the original photo?

• Matt is correct with the dating and the image (of the billboard poser), The Picture House (181 Union Street) was renamed in 1950 so pre-1950 for sure.
    • Good call by Chris "All Next Week"

Based on the 'big hair' and plunging neckline I tend to think something from the 40s? Also looks like a red head, so could be one of these?

Rita Hayworth
    Maureen O'Hara
    Greer Garson
    Ann Sheridan
    Ginger Rogers
    David
    O.k.'' All Next week'' appears on the bottom of the poster, but I cannot see any other, as in the Shirley temple example, any printed word of any description on the poster itself. 
    Lawrence
    Possibly try to enhance the wooden sign hanging above the entrance.  If it follows the Pretty Little Rich Girl the title of the film will be there too...
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Possibly try to enhance the wooden sign hanging above the entrance.  If it follows the Pretty Little Rich Girl the title of the film will be there too...
    Have you tried to do that ? For me it's mission impossible.
    Lawrence
    I was hoping beekay would have replied by now - since we are putting in the effort and all B)
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

edited February 4
    Best I can do, if the sign below the name of the Picture House has the film title on it there is not enough to enhance.

Rita Hayworth?

David

As previously mentioned I thought there is an image of Greer Garson appearing on the poster, and what I had thought was Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind is, I now believe could possibly be Greer Garson and Gregory Peck in a scene from the 1945 film The Valley Of Decision, as appearing above.The scene on the right hand side of the display of the little girl with a dog doesn't appear to be from this film though. All very intriguing and again i'll mention no wording  within the poster and plenty of what appears to be just blank wall space.
    Lawrence
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Great detective work fellas for images that look like an MRI scan
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,647 admin

hard to tell from the grainy blowups. kinda like my obsession with who was behind the grassy knoll in Dallas, Nov. 22.... if you look closely, you can pick out "badgeman" behind the fence.... :wink:

• beekay1943beekay1943 Member Posts: 3 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Hi All, Sorry for the delay in responding to all your interesting and valued comment and suggestions.  I have attached the original image which, it has been suggested, is around 1939 to early 1940s - you can see that the cinema advertising board is only a very small part of the image.

Thanks to all who have manage to enhance the image I supplied to a much better degree than I managed.

I am inclined to agree that the advertising board is displaying more than one poster and probably three.

Thanks for all your help and, should I get a definitive answer from the members of the closed Facebook group in which the original image was posted, I will most certainly update this thread.

If it was wartime you might expect to see at a uniformed person on a street that busy, and also blackout car lights?
    David
    The closest image I can find is Desire Me (Greer Garson) - not perfect but somewhat similar to the woman's portrait.  I believe David will know this one well ;)

But that wasn't released until 1947 which seems to late for the setting...

-Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Throwing it out there...
    • Walk/Don't Walk crossing didn't come into being until the mid 30s?
    • I can just make out the overhead tram lines, for the double decker trams which ceased in 1958.
    • The bus appears to be a Thornycraft, circa 1930?
    • The cars appear to be circa 1930s
    • The only car I can make out (the one with the funny shaped bumper) is perhaps a Ford Model Y? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_Y

David
    You do realise the pic is from Scotland hence the UK. ?
    Paul said:
    Yes - hence all the rain and long socks ;)
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

edited February 13
    Paul said:
    Yep, and your point?

Paul said:
    Yes - hence all the rain and long socks ;)
    Aye, Summertime in Scotland, July 3rd, between 12:45 and 12:58 every year...bliss.
    Post edited by David on
    David
    David said:
    Paul said:
    Yep, and your point?

Trolly buses were still in use up to the late 60's early 70's.  We never had Walk/don't walk signs.  And some of the cars look 40's..  
    Paul said:
    David said:
    Paul said:
    Yep, and your point?

Trolly buses were still in use up to the late 60's early 70's.  

We never had Walk/don't walk signs.

And some of the cars look 40's..  
    "The city's last tram operated on 3 May 1958, being replaced by diesel buses." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen_Corporation_Tramways

The picture shows clearly a Walk/Don't Walk sign. - true, you never had them as kid as they didn't come into effect until the mid/late 1930s  ;)

I don't know enough about cars to say either way, just what I can see they look to me like from the 1930s.

David
    edited February 13

Moving on. The Picture House now called the Gaumont, circa 1962, minus the billboard. It would be interesting to establish when the billboard was removed.  One would think it would have had to be in 1950, to make way for the Gaumont sign.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:

Moving on. The Picture House now called the Gaumont, circa 1962, minus the billboard. It would be interesting to establish when the billboard was removed.  One would think it would have had to be in 1950, to make way for the Gaumont sign.
    Well it seems it was a piano shop before it became The Picture House @181 Union Street Aberdeen in 1910

David
  • beekay1943beekay1943 Member Posts: 3 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    A great deal of very interesting information about the vehicles featured in the photo, the street "furniture" and the cinema itself.  Thanks, Hondo, for the photo of the Gaumont Cinema which I have not seen before.  Interestingly, a few years ago, I came across this photo of the Gaumont (c.1967) and was surprised to recognise myself (a much younger version, I must add) striding purposefully past the entrance on my way to who knows where.

That would have been a surprise!

The only other way is perhaps to date the other viewable things like the store "Kennaway" - I've not found anything about them other than they appear to have been (or became) Ledingham and Kennaway.

So when the name change?
    How long were they there (from/to).
    David
    Need to find someone holding a newspaper and get forensic  B)
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...