Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Please remember this is a dealer free zone - no adverts posts by dealers please. Read the rules (under Advertising) here: http://goo.gl/Rk6IMQ or if you would like to advertise, read more here: http://goo.gl/Df4ZIB

Peeling Onions...feedback about fellow collectors

DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,254 admin
edited October 13 in Dealer Feedback
A comment by Sven about have a good relationship with other collectors http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/discussion/2504/a-list-of-some-of-the-items-we-think-all-movie-paper-collectors-should-strongly-consider-owning reminded me that sure most collectors do the basics for a fellow collectors but other times they do go that extra mile these are the things I think are worth mentioning even it they say 'don't mention it'.

Matt and I get on pretty well, we take the piss out of each other incessantly but always in good fun. I remember a few years back, whilst living in Sydney I won a poster at an auction in Melbourne. The postage by the auction house was going to be a nightmare to organise, I asked Matt to help out. He did, he went along to the auction house, sorted out the pickup of it, took it away and then posted it up to me. I know I was extremely grateful at the time, Matt went out of his way to help out a fellow collector, someone who he had not met until a few years later.

The only reason I think to mention it now is that recently I found out that Matt was the underbidder...
Post edited by David on
David

Comments

• CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Jokes on you David - you simply gave Matt the opportunity to switch your poster for a photocopy (look close!)

👀
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,120 admin
    Jokes on you David - you simply gave Matt the opportunity to switch your poster for a photocopy (look close!)

👀
    Hahahahah....
    I really had no relationship with this fellow collector- as I was a newbie to the forum- who is David (formerly known as an Admin) but they/he sent me a sweet Western poster for my collection to restore. Although i haven’t restored it yet, I always remember their advice to “pay-in-forward”.... =)
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 620 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited October 14
    David said:

I remember a few years back, whilst living in Sydney I won a poster at an auction in Melbourne. The postage by the auction house was going to be a nightmare to organise, I asked Matt to help out. He did, he went along to the auction house, sorted out the pickup of it, took it away and then posted it up to me.

Matt did the same for me. Much appreciated and not forgotten.
    Probably 100+ friendly transactions / swaps / deals with Ves.
    Good old Phil has helped me out plenty of times over the years.
    A pretty congenial hobby overall. At the end of the day, they're just pieces of paper ...

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,346 admin
    edited October 15
    There are a many of story like these. Vesna receiving and repacking things.  Paul accepting packages and resending them on. Matias communicating with folks in Argentina to line up an Argentinian BAT among many things.  Matt being beyond gracious in tipping me on an Orange MM. Ben holding a poster for like four years... 

Even from the “Other” forum #$*^%*! once tipped me on a Lebanese Stargate.  Matt J helped me land sevaral Japanese Posters.

Not to mention the countless tips and heads up on poster from David, Sven, Mark, Matt and all I’ve forgetten.

Even Bruce and EMP going out of his way to line up a photo of a poster so I could get it restored.

Except for a few asshats this hobby is great!

I would also say people don’t take your help for granted also.  Mark has sent me many of cool political items for restoration tips and tricks.

I often feel like I need to catch up on returning the favors...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    Whoops! That reminds me! I have those political items to send your way!  =)
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Charlie said:

Even Bruce and EMP going out of his way to line up a photo of a poster so I could get it restored.
    "Even"?
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 620 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Lawrence has been pretty selfless and helped everyone with his wealth of knowledge.
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited October 17
    I could write a book on fellow collectors helping me... Like Charlie holding 3/4 years worth of US purchases in his Texas lair, Ves doing the same with my Oz purchases. Armin has done it too, Wim in the netherlands, Paul in the UK (who also helped me with some Europe bank transfers to dealers that didn't take paypal). I have also received great gifts from too many collectors to name (posters, magazines, cool stuff in general). Bruce and the emovieposter team sure had a lot of patience regarding some delays on payment and pay and hold orders. Others helped me tracking rare pieces I needed, like the almighty Richard Evans who made it possible for a "Native son" quad to travel from a closed pub in Ireland directly to my paws. Lots gave me tips on auctions I wasn't aware of (of items I could be potentially interested in). And I am not even taking in consideration the education I received reading this and other poster forums...
    Anyway, there's dozen's of other collectors I didn't name who have helped me a great deal, so I try to give back anytime I can.
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,346 admin
    Mark said:
    Lawrence has been pretty selfless and helped everyone with his wealth of knowledge.
    I have to agree his content contribution and the selfless commitment to his threads are beyond impressive.  
    Bruce said:
    Charlie said:

"Even"?
    Sometimes I say stupid things. You have always been most generous - my apologies.
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Charlie said:
    Bruce said:
    Charlie said:

"Even"?
    Sometimes I say stupid things. You have always been most generous - my apologies.
    It was just one word! Let it go. But thanks for apologizing.

I certainly hope the immense database of information and images I provide free to the entire hobby is appreciated. Most importantly, it is a massive group effort, as virtually every day we receive corrections of all sorts, and we ALWAYS spend the time to fix whatever we learn is wrong.

And the Australian information in the database is immeasurably better thanks to the tireless efforts of Lawrence!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html